Pila IBC question

Nite

Enlightened
I heard it said recently that this is only charger that uses the correct charging algorithm.

However MDOCODs guide says pull lion off the charger at 4.10

does pulling them alot to check them change the charging pattern?

what does this charger charge up to in volts? 4.2?

why is it better than the WF 139 I use?

its pricey...but i heard its much better.

geek4christ

Enlightened
Hi Nite,

I heard it said recently that this is only charger that uses the correct charging algorithm.

While it's true the IBC does use the recommended CC/CV charging algorithm, it is not the only one out there. It just happens to be widely regarded as the best combination of quality and value in a li-ion charger because your next option is a hobby charger like the RC guys use. Those tend to be expensive.

However MDOCODs guide says pull lion off the charger at 4.10

Pulling cells at 4.1 volts will give you greater cycle life at the expense of the cells not being quite fully charged. This is actually a pretty good idea if you're going to follow the recommendation to keep your cells topped off frequently. Under that scenario, there's not as much chance that you'll even need the extra little bit of capacity anyway, because the cells will always be *almost* full due to frequent topping.

Keeping watch on the voltages may turn out to be more work than it's worth though. Life seems to short to try to squeeze an extra hundred cycles out of a battery, because it requires so much manual effort.

does pulling them alot to check them change the charging pattern?

I'm not entirely sure, but I think you can actually just put multimeter probes on the terminals during the charge to check voltages.

what does this charger charge up to in volts? 4.2?

You got it, 4.2v is correct.

why is it better than the WF 139 I use?

its pricey...but i heard its much better.

The IBC charges a bit faster than the Ultrafire, and will properly terminate the charge at 4.2v. No higher.

The most widely reported problem with the Ultrafire is that some versions (and there is somewhat of a concensus that it's primarily the older ones) overcharge cells. Lithium-ions will continue to absorb charge and rise in voltage to the point of thermal runaway, which is what makes overcharging a big no-no with this chemistry.

It's a good idea to keep an eye on li-ions when they're charging anyway, but especially so with the WF-139. These cells are pretty highly reactive and when they start to vent it's an unpleasantly spectacular show of flame and noxious gasses.

So if you can spare the extra money, spring for the IBC. :thumbsup:

Nite

Enlightened
no one has answered my question about pulling the cells off the charger.

does it interrupt the chargers algorithm?

Axion

Enlightened
The biggest problem with the WF-139 is this. When I would pull an AW 16340 off the charger after the charger had terminated the battery voltage would always read ~4.14 volts. So you'd think "great the charger is terminating when it should". However, if you measured voltage across the battery during charging it would get as high as 4.27 volts or maybe higher since the one time I saw that I pulled the battery off right away.

Not being comfortable with that I bought a Pila IBC. It's a bit more pricey but given that during charging voltage goes right up to 4.20 volts and not past I feel that it's safer and thus well worth the extra money.

*note* if you stick with your WF-139 I'd just monitor voltage during charging because if you pull the batteries out once voltage gets to 4.20 volts during charging you should be fine. The downside to doing this, besides having to babysit the things, is that open cell voltage fresh of the charger will be less then 4.10 v (in my experience) so you're not getting a full charge.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Nite,

With the Pila IBC charger, there is no problem interrupting the charge. The algorithm will pick up where it left off when you go back to charging again.

Tom

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Brighterisbetter,

Either way is fine.

The reset button is designed to reset the protection circuit in the cell. Sometimes the low voltage cut off will "latch" and the charge rate during the initial cell check is not enough to "unlatch" it. The reset applys the full charge rate to the cell to reset the protection circuit.

Tom