• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

McTC Tailcap for E1L... Questions

steveG

Enlightened
I have a dual mode E1L (3/45 Lumen) that I'd like to get a tailstanding tailcap for. I was looking at getting one of the McTCs, but I need to know which internals to buy or if I can use the internals from the original tailcap. I'd like to keep the functionality as it is now except add the ability to tailstand, so the McClicky won't work for me.

So....

1) Are there internals I can buy to make the switch operate like the original switch?

2) Will the internals from the original switch work in the McTC?

Thanks in advance!

thegeek

Enlightened
The McClicky operates just like the original Surefire switch. Forward clicky. So if you want a switch that works just like the original and can tailstand, get the McTC and the McClicky. The two stage functionality of the E1L is accomplished not using a fancy tailcap, but using electronics in the head.

manoloco

Enlightened
SteveG, i think you are confusing the McClicky with the McE2S, McClicky works like a Surefire Clicky (a la Z57), and the McE2S is a momentary switch and twist tailcap that operates like the L1/L2/A2 switch (2 stage momentary and 2 stage twist for constant), but if you take out the resistor PCB it works like the old LOTC (a la Z52, which is single stage momentary with twist)

what kind of grip or hold do you favor?, its very important, for cigar/stoogie hold the McTC is great but the twist action is uncomfortable with the E1L body, if you use harries or any variation of that, the Aleph trim tailcap is very good, and the knurling helps to use cigar hold and is great for twist, havent tried others, but if you want tailstanding you can also try the standard aleph tailcap which is kind of a mix of both, like a McTC with knurling in the bottom; finally if you want to try a flat switch you can use a aleph flat tailcap which tailstands too.

Last edited:

steveG

Enlightened
Thanks Manoloco. You're right about the confusion.

Here's what I'm after (your pic)

picture015.jpg

Except I'm using the later model E1L and I want a switch that operates like the original. So I need the McE2S and Mclicky switch. Right?

Will the internals of my original switch not work with the McE2S?

Thanks for your help guys!

manoloco

Enlightened
sorry for the confusion, i didnt specify:

the McTC (pictured) is the shell of the tailcap

McE2S is the internal switch but thats 2 stage, only momentary and not clicky, this one fits inside the McTC

McClicky is also the internal clicky switch, like the newest E1L

from your description you need:

McTC (shell) and McClicky (internals) put those together and you have what you are looking for.

bout the internals of the Z57 working on the McTC, i dont know i havent tried, let me get back to you on that.

One question though: why does my pic have a supermotors watermark?? i dont have any affiliation to them.

*the internals of the Z57 wont fit, i thought of making it go in then put the threaded jam nut, but as i was about to open it i recalled the switch is wider in diameter than the treaded space in the tailcap, so it wont go in as they go loaded from the top on the Z57, and the McTC cant be loaded from there. took it apart just to make sure, and i can now confirm this

Last edited:

steveG

Enlightened
One question though: why does my pic have a supermotors watermark?? i dont have any affiliation to them.

I saved the pic and hosted it on Supermotors which I use for posting pics. I figured I should use my own host and not pirate yours.

Thanks for the help. It's much appreciated!

thegeek

Enlightened
Don't forget to add the rubber boot! It will work fine without it, but it won't exactly be weather proof.

manoloco

Enlightened
plenty left, none by themselves, but if you buy a McTC you have the option to buy it with the rubber boot included, dont forget to add the option.

gunga

Flashaholic
Any 14mm boot fits. You can buy a multi pack from DX. You have to cut out the rubber nub on the inside of the boot, but then it works fine with a McClicky.