Help need in wiring up a MC-E?

DocD

Enlightened
Hi
can any one help me:confused: to understand how to wire cree mc-e :thinking:
4 die and four plus and neg terminals :thinking: i would like to power it from Der Wichtel driver, so how do i wire it up ? as for battery i'll go with what's the best ie: i'll buy what good to go with this, but i would like to power all 4 dies at the same power? and how hard can you drive this led?can you over drive it ?and if so by how much? just to add what is the forward voltage for these led i can't find any info:eek: any simple drawings would be a great help cheers DocD

Last edited:

Aircraft800

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi
can any one help me:confused: to understand how to wire cree mc-e :thinking:
4 die and four plus and neg terminals :thinking: i would like to power it from Der Wichtel driver, so how do i wire it up ? as for battery i'll go with what's the best ie: i'll buy what good to go with this, but i would like to power all 4 dies at the same power? and how hard can you drive this led?can you over drive it ?and if so by how much? just to add what is the forward voltage for these led i can't find any info:eek: any simple drawings would be a great help cheers DocD

The Der Wichtel driver is designed as a Buck driver 2.8A, so you would have to wire your MC-E in Parallel, and supply a battery voltage > 4V or so. It was designed to run 2-3 Li-Ion cells, so 7.4-11.1V.

MC-E.jpg

Just solder all legs on one side together, the corner with the notch is your "+" terminal.

It is easier to find a driver to run all dies in series, but making it pretty would be hard unless you have one mounted in a serial star board.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
as typed, parallel wiring with that setup
BUT: if You got an MC-E that is mounted on a SERIES wired star, like the one in Aircrafts example pic, You have to cut the connetions, else there were shorts.

PS: I still think the only good way to power up multiple leds is wired in series + step-up driver

Aircraft800

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, I borrowed that picture, I hope no one thought that you were supposed to get one series mounted on a star and ad those wires, but just in case, here is an edited image:
Untitled-2.png

PARALLEL

Untitled2.png

SERIES

Untitled3.png

2S 2P

of course you would have to find room out of the way to ad the blue jumper wires, not too easy considering how small the MC-E actually is.

Last edited:

flash

Newly Enlightened
has anyone managed to successfully wire a bare emitter up in series, and have that all still fit in a mag reflector?

flash

Newly Enlightened
nice work :clap:Did you drill additional holes in to the heatsink to snake the wires through?

dom

Enlightened
Hi Flash
It is just a platform for checking reflectors/optics and getting the right focal point.
Having the holes drilled precisely made the soldering easy.

3030843387_630f3e1461_o.jpg

She really gets cooking with 1.2A:D

Sorry to OP for getting off topic.

Cheers
Dom

rantanplan

Newly Enlightened
Nice testbed ;) ...

First I was happy when I got my MC-Es from Cutter, on a star board specially designed for MC-Es ... each led-die has its own pads and is separately addressable. But then I realized how that sucks for realizing a series connection :D ...

I managed to fry one of the dies :(, the MC-E didn´t work with the designated reflector ... so I could perform a transplantation to a series connected board (from DX) without hesitation. Next time I´ll order MC-E emitters only and enough of parallel and series boards ... which would leave all options available.

DocD

Enlightened
thanks to all that have posted there info and to donn thats some rig you made i like it i have a thought along the same sort,the way donn wired his up just a lot smaller wires and thermal epoxy and thats just were the thought stopped :sigh: but i now have some info to work with so again thanks
cheers DocD

Latest posts