• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Mr. Subtle

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
PVD Black Hematite Killer with bare Ti dimples:

SlantFront2.jpg

I was intending to have the dimples anodized gold, or aqua, but that might be overdoing it? What do you think?

Hodsta

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was intending to have the dimples anodized gold, or aqua, but that might be overdoing it? What do you think?

:thumbsup: That is a very nice bit of work indeed Fred. I think gold or aqua would be over doing it, a lighter grey in the dimples woulds be subtle and may look good if it is possible? Is there enough thickness to machine the dimples deeper at the tail to make room for three of Barts trit dots near the tail?

If you can do any/all of the above you've got a certain customer Sir!:party:

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hodsta,

What are the dimensions on those Trit dots, please?

BTW, the Ti naturally oxidizes over time and will become a tad more gray than it is presently showing.

Last edited:

Hodsta

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Fred, sorry I don't posses any dots but will PM Bart to see if he can help out.

EDIT: From Barts Sales Thread "Dots 2x1.75mm green or blue." from the pictures it looks like 2mm is the depth - suspect that may scupper the plan?

Last edited:

Hodsta

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unfortunately, if the depth is 2mm, then there is no way to install one in the Killer. :(

What's the max depth you could drill to? Maybe small trits installed vertically would look kinda cool if they exist in the right dimensions?

Hodsta

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gotcha, thanks Fred. Might have to wait for our radioactive friend to return:thumbsup:.

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ohhhh go for the gold!!! I looove black and gold combinations...

HoopleHead

Flashlight Enthusiast
i like it as is. kershaw has a few knives (at least the chive) which are black boron coated (looks like hematite) and have gold hardware, and its just a bit over the top. ie not so subtle.

any way to make them pop out more, but without color? like make them iridescent, or super polished and shiny or the like.

if you do use a color, what about doing the reflector area the same? would that change the beam tint?

mondrian quadrants!

liam_995

Newly Enlightened
I like it just as is...:thumbsup:

Really like the nice black look - very sexy - very modern!

Definitely interested whenever it is available for sale.

:twothumbs

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like it just as is...:thumbsup:

Really like the nice black look - very sexy - very modern!

Definitely interested whenever it is available for sale.

:twothumbs

Hey, Doug--I'll be pleased to sell it to you after it comes back from the NYC knife show in mid-November. I need it to show to some dealers, to see if they are interested in carrying it, or not. I'll send you an e-mail later. BTW, Mr. Subtle has a custom-made driver and a new LED--the beam pattern is much broader, with virtually no artifacts, and no rings, i.e., yellow corona and blue hotspot. The LED is being driven at 90mA--pretty impressive for a 5mm LED, and within spec, too. :devil:

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
While I'm still evaluating the driver and gauging demand, it certainly would be offered in all the AAA Killers, if I decide to have them produced. Problem is that they cost more. :sigh:

But the good news is that they don't cost a tremendous amount more--it would add about $10 to the price. I also need to get a less bluish tint from the LED supplier.

The lumen output is fairly close to 18 lumens, perhaps a tad more, even. But the beam is broader, so the hotspot is pretty much a very diffused area. What I do love is the lack of color variation in the beam--no rings when compared with the Nichia, say.