what's a good host for this?

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
HI CPF,

I got THIS for a flashlight that i have but it doesn't fit, so now i have that replacement bulb which doesnt fit any light i own.

Guess that means i get a light to fit it. Would this fit a P60 compatible host?

mdocod

Flashaholic
A G3 or 9P would be ideal, but it depends on what you are after as far as how you want to power it, and what size host you are looking for.

labrat

Enlightened
That bulb, the "10 Watt", is powered without problems with 2 x RCR123 cells.
I have used the "15 Watt" edition, also from DX, on 2 x RCR123.
Be aware there is a problem with these because the outer spring not easily gets down the throat of the adapter when used together with the E2C-adapter Lighthound and TnC sold.
You might want to "help" the spring down the throat when installing it, to make good contact between the spring and the top of the battery tube when using an E-body and the E2C-adapter.
In a 6/9P there should be no problems.
Lumens Factory bulbs showed no such problems, but their spring on the D26 lamp-assemblies is different from the DX lamp-assemblies.
Just some info should you start assembling a host with Surefire E-body, E2C-adapter, and C2/3 bezel or 6/9P-bezel.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks a lot for the advice guys! I found that i had one of THESE and i removed the head, then removed all the other stuff that was between the battery tube and the reflector, I then removed the reflector from the bulb assembly and found that the bulb was a perfect fit for the Hugsby reflector.

Well, maybe not totally perfect but it works and i now got an incredible floody Xenon light with a large hotspot. The light is bright! and when i hold the light about an inch or 2 away from my skin and turn it on, it gets uncomfortably warm after a few seconds! Darn i like this light now, beam shots will follow once i figure out my damn point and shoot camera.

Thanks for all the help guys!

Just did what i could to take some shots, please forgive the quality, it's an Olympus 790SW point and shoot.

CONTROL SHOT AT APPROX 5M (15')

PB100064.jpg

SHOT WITH FLASHLIGHT ALSO AT APPROX 5M (15')

PB100065.jpg

Last edited:

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pardon me if this is a dumb question but would the 15w bulb be brighter than the 10w one?

labrat

Enlightened
Yes, the "15 Watt" bulb from DX is noticeably brighter!
But you loose some on runtime.
With a good set of rechargeable RCR123 cells you should get some more than 30 minutes runtime with it.
And for the price you have to pay for these, they are worth it!

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the reply, i was pleasantly surprised at how the Hugsby could accept the bulb minus the reflector that came with it and the floody beam is a joy. Held the light against a plastic 1.5 litre soda bottle and the plastic began to melt after maybe 20 seconds. Flashed myself (stupid i know) and the light sort of 'felt' warm.

Now i want an Incan with a tight hotspot, any recommendations? Oh, and of course, it should fit the bulbs i mentioned here. Thanks guys, you're a wealth of information for the uninformed, flashaholic status notwithstanding, all it means is that i talk a lot. :D

mdocod

Flashaholic
The 15W bulb will probably be closer to 20-25 minutes runtime on RCR123s, if you want to move up to that level of output, or any configuration on RCR123s that has an estimated runtime under 30 minutes, I highly recommend using a pair of AW LiMn RCR123s (sold as IMR16340s). The runtime will be about the same as the IMR16340s loose less capacity under heavy loads and have a label rating much closer to their realistic capacity. The LiMn cells will also drive the bulb a l little brighter and whiter, and last many more cycles at the heavy load than regular LiCo cells.

Eric

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the information, i feel woefully inadequate, like i have enlightenment dysfunctional syndrome. Damn that humanities based education and the law degree, it left me woefully prepared to enter the world of flashlights!!

*whines* i wanna be an engineer