Strion tailcap broken - please help

Cream Puff

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone. I haven't been to this place probably in a couple years, but I just recently started getting back into flashlights.

I have a Streamlight Strion and I just noticed that when I twist the tailcap for "constant on" it doesn't make full contact with the battery and the light is very dim. The only way to get full power is to hold the "momentary" button down with my thumb for however long I need to use it.

Has anybody else experienced this problem? What can I do? Also I should mention that I HATE the tailcap on this light. It's hard to twist so I can't do it with one hand and also the rounded "tactical" button sticks out so I can't make it stand on end like a candle. Is there any way I can replace or modify the tailcap to make it a normal clickie switch?

Anybody have any other tips for improving my Strion in general? This is an awesome forum. I appreciate any feedback :)

JackJ

Newly Enlightened
The Strion battery has both anode and cathode on the same end, near the head, so to make better contact, you can try simply shimming the tailcap with anything. I believe there's normally a bit of foam there which can be used to hold a spare bulb. Is the foam missing or otherwise compressed?

It may be that the spring(s?) by the head are overly compressed.

Jack

Cream Puff

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Jack. I just cut out some thin cardboard circles and glued them together and then used it as a spacer between the tailcap and battery. Works like a charm now!

I still don't like the tailcap, but at least it works now...

You're right, the springs are probably compressed from sitting there for 2 years with the cap screwed almost all the way in.

:D

tekguy

Newly Enlightened
put a penny between the tailcap and the battery. thats what i do to mine

Cream Puff

Newly Enlightened
Thanks tekguy. A penny or a nickel work good, but after a while I'll probably have to add more.

I just wrapped it in some friction tape to reduce the slipperiness. Any more tips or mods for this light?

twobanger

Newly Enlightened
What I did was to put automotive light bulb grease on the battery contacts. Very bad design electrically. Kind of like the contacts on your cordless phone.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
The first generation Strions used a flat tailcap. The second generation incans used that domed rubber one. Try to track down a really old strion to get that tailcap.