UK 600 dive light

grayrock

Newly Enlightened
I am in need of a bulb for my light. It is a screw base bulb. Underwater Kinetics says it is obsolete and they no longer support it, despite the words "LIFETIME WARRANTY" on the back of the light. Any idea where I can find one? If not, how about an easy modification. It takes a 6 volt lantern battery.

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you have a number for the original lamp? That would make it easier to try and cross over to a current lamp.

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bulbs are almost never covered under warranty, but it's likely a standard size so a replacement shouldn't be too hard to find.

grayrock

Newly Enlightened
I realize that bulbs are a consumable commodity. But wouldn't the point of a lifetime warranty be to ensure a functional product? My product does not function any more. If they can provide a bulb, I would be more than happy to purchase it. However, since they say my product is obsolete is it unreasonable to want them to replace it with one that is not obsolete? I know I am dreaming- but then I guess they should not have called it a "LIFETIME WARRANTY".

lebox97

Enlightened
sounds like the "lifetime" ran out then huh?

a picture, wattage, voltage (6v) - anything would be helpful if you want it fixed/replaced.

I found this reference... "The battery is 6 volt 5 AH rechargeable. The bulb is Xenon filled bi-pin approx 2.5cms long including pins, pin width 5 cms, somewhere about 5-6 watts."
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/accessories/111715-bulb-lamp-uk-600-torch.html

otherwise it's time for a hotwire modding perhaps? :devil:

grayrock

Newly Enlightened
I think I remember finding out my screw base bulb had been "upgraded" to a bi-pin bulb in newer models. I also recall UK refusing to upgrade my light for the new improved bulbs:sigh: I shall make an effort to snap a picture this weekend. I hope I can resurrect this light- otherwise I have an expensive fishing float!

grayrock

Newly Enlightened
I got that info from Underwater Kinetics. I am assuming that "1.0A min" indicates the lamp needs to me a minimum of 1 amp. Does that help clarify things better? But we all know what happens when you ASSUME something, don't we?

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I got that info from Underwater Kinetics. I am assuming that "1.0A min" indicates the lamp needs to me a minimum of 1 amp. Does that help clarify things better? But we all know what happens when you ASSUME something, don't we?

?

Bill

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
The problem with screw base bulbs is they are not standardized. Unlike most PR based bulbs the filament could be in a different focal spot... the glass part could be regular size, largers, stretched to somewhat cylindricular, etched, frosted.... I even have a bulb that has the filament in the socket metal part and there is a round magnifying glass ball where the bulb part would be.

grayrock

Newly Enlightened
Got some pics- here is a link :
DSC031251.JPG

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/DSC031262.JPG

Last edited:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
that could be tough to find for sure. You may have to make a custom fit bi pin bulb instead.

geoboater

Newly Enlightened
I have the UK 600R and am equally frustrated by Underwater Kinetics (In comparison I have had fantastic service from Pelican who actually honour their lifetime warranties, what a difference!!). The UK lifetime warranty is a joke. I recently broke the switch on my UK 600R light so I contacted the company to try a buy a switch. I was given the same answer - obsolete, don't carry parts, go buy one of our new lights. I do have a spare bulb I bought new with the light and have it screwed into the back of the reflector base. Haven't needed it yet but if I can't find a switch, my light and new rechargable battery are useless.

I did come across this website which lists a replacement bulb for the UK 600. At the bottom of the list is the GH 173 for the UK 600. Might be worth giving them a try.

http://www.reflectalite.com/flashlightmodel.html

George
Victoria, BC, Canada

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's pretty lame. With good companies, even if the item is discontinued or obsolete, if it's something covered under the lifetime warranty they'll either replace it with an "equivalent" current model product or give you credit towards something else.

grayrock

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the link, GEOBOATER. If they are not able to supply me with a bulb, I may have a switch that is of no use to me. Would you be interested in that? I have sent them an e-mail. Not sure how purchasing something from England works, though.