New Star Trek Enterprise 2008 photographs !

Patriot

Flashaholic
That bottom rendition looks like it would immediately be propelled into a spiral since the engines aren't aligned. :p

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
:thinking:

Technically, isn't warp speed faster than the speed of light? :thinking:

Warp 1 = Speed of light
Warp 2 = 8 X the speed of light
Warp 3 = 27 X the speed of light
Warp 4 = 64 X the speed of light
Warp 5 = 125 X the speed of light

I think you get the idea. Warp speed is the number cubed or 2 to the 3rd power, 3 to the 3rd power, 4 to the 3rd power etc.........

Bill

jerry i h

Enlightened
"Even burned and cracked, the Li-ion crystals are beautiful".
"Mr. Spock, the NiMH crystals are totally exhausted. Don't ask for 750 Lumens anytime soon".
"Giordi, we can restore full power by totally draining the Li-ion power reserves and recharging them with radiation from the sun".

CodeOfLight

Newly Enlightened
Warp 1 = Speed of light

I think you get the idea. Warp speed is the number cubed or 2 to the 3rd power, 3 to the 3rd power, 4 to the 3rd power etc.........

Bill
Yeah, and to be going past the star field as fast as is depicted on most episodes (old AND new) you would have to be traveling at about 15 light years per second, which works out to more than 473,000,000 times the speed of light. That's four hundred, seventy three MILLION times the speed of light. I think that they did not think this through when they came up with the warp figures. At about 31 light years per second we are talking a BILLION times light speed. You would need about that speed to account for the rate at which you sometimes see stars moving in the viewscreen on Star Trek episodes.

HOWEVER, our galaxy is about 100,000 light years across. If you really could travel at 31 light years per second, you would cross the entire galaxy in about 55 minutes!!!! Even if you were going 1 light year per second (which would be a CRAWL on the viewscreen), it would still take only about 30 hours to cross the galaxy.

1 light year per second is STILL 31,557,600 times the speed of light.

Warp 9 = 729 times the speed of light, or 43,288 times slower than 1 light year per second. At warp 9 it would take 2 days and almost 4 hours to reach our nearest star at 4.3 light years away. I suspect that you could stare out the viewscreen all day and not detect any movement in the star field at warp factor 9. At warp 2, it would take 337.7 days to reach Alpha Centauri.

But they never listen to me.......

Last edited:

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is why even in Star Trek they cannot travel outside the Galaxy. However in space you would have stars all around you. I'm not sure you wouldn't see stars going by you at warp 9, or 729 times the speed of light, though I understand your point that stars are very far apart.

I think I need to give it more thought. :shrug:

Bill

:thinking:

Last edited:

prof

Enlightened
Warp 1 = Speed of light

Bill

You're forgetting that they redid the warp speed scale between TOS and NG...and that later, in Voyager, warp 10 was defined as infinite speed.

Um, just realized I posted a correction about ST on a flashlight discussion board...wonder what thay says about me?

Darkpower

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, and to be going past the star field as fast as is depicted on most episodes (old AND new) you would have to be traveling at about 15 light years per second, which works out to more than 473,000,000 times the speed of light. That's four hundred, seventy three MILLION times the speed of light. I think that they did not think this through when they came up with the warp figures. At about 31 light years per second we are talking a BILLION times light speed. You would need about that speed to account for the rate at which you sometimes see stars moving in the viewscreen on Star Trek episodes.

HOWEVER, our galaxy is about 100,000 light years across. If you really could travel at 31 light years per second, you would cross the entire galaxy in about 55 minutes!!!! Even if you were going 1 light year per second (which would be a CRAWL on the viewscreen), it would still take only about 30 hours to cross the galaxy.

1 light year per second is STILL 31,557,600 times the speed of light.

Warp 9 = 729 times the speed of light, or 43,288 times slower than 1 light year per second. At warp 9 it would take 2 days and almost 4 hours to reach our nearest star at 4.3 light years away. I suspect that you could stare out the viewscreen all day and not detect any movement in the star field at warp factor 9. At warp 2, it would take 337.7 days to reach Alpha Centauri.

But they never listen to me.......

Its one of the reasons I was never a big fan of Star Trek. I like my science fiction to have some plausibility otherwise its just 'science fantasy', not 'science fiction'.