How many lumens does an ipod nano put out?

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
How many lumens does an ipod nano put out? I've heard they give enough light to get around.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
The screen is remarkably bright, in most situations turning the brightness setting all the way up is uncomfortable on the eyes. It's not quite a 5mm LED, but it's a whole lot more entertaining..

baterija

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not bad with 24 hour playing time.

Light manufacturer's always over state their runtime...er media player manufacturers. :D Usually max runtime is with the screen off, volume low, equalizer or other extra signal processing off, etc.

Beamshots!:poke: Run time graphs! :crackup:

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Light manufacturer's always over state their runtime...er media player manufacturers. :D Usually max runtime is with the screen off, volume low, equalizer or other extra signal processing off, etc.

Beamshots!:poke: Run time graphs! :crackup:

Well, the iPod Nano (4th Gen) turns off the screen after 3 sec (or so) during music playback (it's a changeable setting). And from what I gather, Apple declares their battery runtimes with the default settings (in this case, 24h music playback with 3 sec light, and 23 hr 59 min 57 sec dark). :)

ackbar

Enlightened
I've had my nano run for 24 hours continuously when I forgot to stop it. It even had alittle juice left but you are right about the best case scenario battery life statement.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Beamshots!:poke:

Actually I would gladly do a beamshot photo or two, but the one item the wife and I appear to have lost in our recent move is the iPod connector/recharge cable. And wouldn't you know it, they want $20 for one at the B&M stores..

According to the review below, they measured it at 4 hr 51 min playing video, and Apple advertises 4 hr playing video.

It should be noted that video playback on the recent iPods (the last two generations, which have the same display) is gorgeous, no difference at all from viewing it in a small window on a good computer monitor. Excellent high resolution and smooth framerate.

baterija

Flashlight Enthusiast
Starhalo - I might have a cable still laying around here from a package deal I got for the other components. Not sure which gen connector it is or if I really do still have it. If I find it you can have it for the cost of shipping. PM me if interested.

According to the review below, they measured it at 4 hr 51 min playing video, and Apple advertises 4 hr playing video.

That actually probably does give you quite a bit of runtime. The processor won't be working as hard playing music as video assuming backlight at the same level. Could maybe get most of a night of dim light and music with a charged battery.

This actually did prompt me to just go out with my Meizu M6 Miniplayer and turn the backlight to always on. All comparisons were done with my diffusor on - the scratched up plastic crystal case. I can conveniently turn my backlight to always on if I wanted light (not sure about the Nano) The screen is also .4 inch bigger than the Nano. My usual background picture is mostly black with white text on top and it was useful...just barely...when I turned the backlight way up from my normal setting. Switching to the default background of blue and grey was functional. I could read newsprint up close with some strain.

Compared to my LF5XT at 1% though it was quite a bit dimmer in ceiling bounce. Maybe half the perceptible light. I'm now thinking about uploading spare backgrounds (nice creamy white, and red for night vision preservation) just in case. :sick:

gorn

Enlightened
I use a nano to listen to audio books at night. I know when I turn it off well after my eyes are adjusted to the dark it is bright enough to be very uncomfortable. You could easily get around a room with one. I've been known to use it to light up the bathroom for those middle of the night relief breaks.