How can i remove the cap of KL1 for mod??

Kiu

Enlightened
it require an extreme force? And what tools should i use? a Hammer? a screw? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I will be glad if anyone can help me, thx.

mhejl

Newly Enlightened
Drop the hex end into a socket (7/8 or 15/16?) for additional grip. Then, I used a little micro torch to heat up the lens ring just until it was too hot to hold in my hand for more than a second or so. Next, I used one of those rubber "bottle opener" thingies (just a thin round flap of textured rubber) to twist the cap off.

With the cap off, the optic will fall out and you can use a packing hook to pull the Luxeon out. You don't need to take the middle ring off unless you want to get into the electronics.

Note also that the Pyrex lens is coated on one side with what looks like anti-reflective coating. I'm not sure if the coated side goes in ou out; I didn't pay attention to that the first time. Anyone know?

JollyRoger

Enlightened
coating should go on the inside, I believe...

that way, it reduces any reflection from the emitter back to the emitter....and also eliminates any chance of the coating getting scratched (if it were on the outside).

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
I took apart the head on an E2e yesterday. I chucked the lens bezel in a 1" 5C collet, and applied a 1" box wrench to the hex. Broke it loose, and it unscrewed by hand-(I had "pictures of fighting green locktite" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif .) If you have a machine shop local, ask them.

Larry

dtsoll

Enlightened
The KL1 I got had no loctite on it. Sometimes when I'm taking it off to put on the incandecent head it comes loose. Kind of annoying, I'm not a modder so maybe I'll trade it for one of the new ones with the notches. dtsoll