• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Cree UV LED at SS

wildstar87

Enlightened
Any one have a picture of one of these that they have gotten from the Shoppe? I'm interested in getting one, but I can't get a response from SS on details/pic.

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
I have a Cree on Board UV from the Shoppe. It's the old 7090 package mounted on a Cree Thin PCB.

It's pictured below on the left which I unmounted from the Thin PCB. On the right is a Cree XR UV purchased elsewhere shown for comparision. Datasheet

Img_6226.jpg

wildstar87

Enlightened
Thanks DZ, do you notice any difference between the two, in either performance, or reflector compatibility? I'm basically looking at putting it into a P60 type reflector.

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
I haven't used any Crees like the one on the left including this UV one so I can't really say. Judging by the package I would assume reflector application would be a bit different but I'm not sure. I've only used the XR UV Cree like the one on the right. I have one running at 1A. I don't think they are much different in output though.

Here's another picture for you.

Img_6261.jpg

wildstar87

Enlightened
Did you mean you have not used the one like the left, and have used like the one on the right? You said left twice... :)

Edit: Nevermind I guess you corrected, as the notice I got in e-mail said left, but the post indicates right.. Thanks!

Last edited:

04orgZx6r

Enlightened
Hey DZ, what do you think about a UV from the shoppe and an xr can with a gd500 and a McR20.

Basically I am just asking if you see any red flags that I should be worried about...

Ms_SS

Enlightened
We have some DB500 Cree UV light engines available on the Shoppe.

The Cree UV LED works well with the McR19 XR reflector since it is from the Cree 7090 family. I just tried it in an Aleph 19 head and it works great.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
DZ: where did you get the XR UV? Looks like it has a red chip in there to let you know if it's hooked up backwards... But seriously where did you get one? I'd love to get my hands on one to put one in a small light. I already have the old 7090 in a 2C mag and you need to raise it or cut down the reflector so that it gets into the focus. I would think they both would have the same beam just the XR would need to be raised even more than the 7090.

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
Looks like it has a red chip in there to let you know if it's hooked up backwards...

Thanks for pointing that out Issac. I alwaysed wonder about the red chip but never thought about it lighting up as the Golden Dragons do. I tried it & sure enough it does.....

Img_6790.jpg

TranquillityBase

Flashlight Enthusiast

The Cree UV LED works well with the McR19 XR reflector since it is from the Cree 7090 family. I just tried it in an Aleph 19 head and it works great.
Have the current UV LE specs. been changed from the original UV LE's, that the Shoppe offered?

The stack height is different from McR19 to the McR19XR...

McR19 = .815"--------------------------------------------------------McR19XR = .788"

That's a difference of .027"

UV LE's being equal, it's not possible for both reflectors to work properly in the same head.

Last edited:

Ms_SS

Enlightened
I don't know the answer. Please ask Don who designed the McR series reflectors. We have access to the same info as you do. I have tried the UV LE with different reflectors but don't have any hard data.

Last edited:

TranquillityBase

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know the answer. Please ask Don who designed the McR series reflectors. We have access to the same info as you do. I have tried the UV LE with different reflectors but don't have any hard data.
I thought the Aleph line was taken over by the Shoppe?

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought the Aleph line was taken over by the Shoppe?

Correct, we took over all the stock. We don't have any drawings, nor do I know any more details than most of you. Some of you probably know more details than we do. This is also true for the McR line of reflectors. We reference the same drawings on Don's web page as you do.

Since we don't have answers and people aren't asking the person that designed them we don't know how to answer posts regarding this.

Wayne

TranquillityBase

Flashlight Enthusiast
Correct, we took over all the stock. We don't have any drawings, nor do I know any more details than most of you. Some of you probably know more details than we do. This is also true for the McR line of reflectors. We reference the same drawings on Don's web page as you do.

Since we don't have answers and people aren't asking the person that designed them we don't know how to answer posts regarding this.

Wayne
Cindy said she tried an McR19XR with a UV LE, in an A19 head...

She's saying she actually tried it, i.e. put one together...How did she get the reflector to snug-up to the glass and the base of the emitter? McR19XR is .027" short than the McR19.

See post #9

TranquillityBase

Flashlight Enthusiast

:shrug:

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
TB: If you want your McR19 to focus the same as the McR19-XR you have to move it down (toward the emitter) by another 0.060" or so for it to work properly. That's what I did :D

I don't have an XR UV but if they are anything like the XR-E then that's what you'll have to do.

Hope this helps :cheers:

darkzero: Where did you get the XR UV? & more importantly does it perform the same as the 7090? I want couples :nana:

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
Scratch that last post. I dunno.
What I shared was only my experience with other McR vs McR-XR.

coors

Enlightened
Besides not being able to cure Norland, is there any reason to prefer the Sandwich Shoppe's 390-410nm Cree LED over the Nichia 365nm NCSU033A (cost aside). Don't different minerals flouresce at different wavelengths, and if so wouldn't it be useful to have various lights emitting different wavelengths for viewing a wider range of these minerals?