AC drivers: Xitanium vs. Microdrive vs. others

Cemoi

Enlightened
The Xitanium and Microdriver MD9 are both able to drive several LEDs @ 700mA. Since the MD9 is much cheaper than the Xitanium, does it have any weaknesses?
Besides these "well known" drivers, has anybody tried these cheaper and more compact drivers :

lonesouth

Newly Enlightened
I really hate to bump an old thread, but I'd really like to get some more input on alternative mains drivers.

Illum

Flashaholic
I recently purchased magtech L03U drivers for 3 CREE NW stars...
their product documentation didn't specify anything about how to wire it, what gauge to wire with, open circuit protection, short circuit protection, mounting suggestion, recommended LED usage, etc.. I'll have to take a look at it when it arrives to know what makes it work.
Magtech drivers are the same as Lightech drivers such that for those who wants to completely replace a fixture as the included wires can easily be installed into existing junction boxes. Lightech is suitable for 1-4 LEDs driven between 650-750ma. It's a switch mode [100-240VAC] NOTE! on the main LEDsupply page the voltage output is labeled as:

4-Watt Lightech LED Driver Features:
Max Output Current: 650mA-750mA
Input Voltage: 100VAC-265VAC
Output Voltage: 12VDC-58VDC
Dimensions: 1.20"L X 1.57"W X 5.24"H
This is incorrect, on the datasheet it is labeled as

Output current 350mA+/-8%
Output voltage 2-14V
I have never used Lightech drivers as I've always kept my LEDs around 350ma:D

Personally I am fond of xitaniums because they are very easy to wire, instructions on stripping AC wires is on the body of the driver as well as clear and concise markings for wheres input and output. Special connector insures that you'll never make the mistake of reversing the polarity.

The only issue with xitaniums is....120V 60Hz and 240V 50Hz are two models, so no switch mode capability

the Magtech I received from LEDsupply looks essentially like the M&M ML700, with the exception that the input and output wires are hard soldered and prestripped. Looks like 22 gauge though I could be wrong

Last edited: