A2 with strion mod makes a slight whine on soft press - normal?

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all,

Quick question that I couldn't find the answer to:

I have an A2 that I'm loving and have put the strion socket in - however, only with the strion mod, when I do a soft press just enough to get the incan on, there is a slight whine that is audible. With a hard press all the way down there is no whine.

Just want to make sure this is normal and its not going to :poof: on me?

It doesn't bother me but just wanted to check in as my knowledge of incans is a bare minimum... :D

Thanks!

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all,

Quick question that I couldn't find the answer to:

I have an A2 that I'm loving and have put the strion socket in - however, only with the strion mod, when I do a soft press just enough to get the incan on, there is a slight whine that is audible. With a hard press all the way down there is no whine.

Just want to make sure this is normal and its not going to :poof: on me?

It doesn't bother me but just wanted to check in as my knowledge of incans is a bare minimum... :D

Thanks!

Even with the MA02 bulb, my A2 makes a slight whine for a brief period of time when I light up the bulb.

JakeGMCHD

Newly Enlightened
That's normal. I have two A2s with the strion kit in them and both whine a little.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine does it too, exactly like you describe with the stock bulb and aftermarkets. Doesn't appear to be a problem, just normal I guess.

Illum

Flashaholic
regulators are solid state, your hearing it from the magnetic flux generator (inductor):D

My A2 will actually whine indefinitely if I keep the xenon engaged by holding down the tailcap rather than screwing it in :green:
I'm inclined to believe its caused by abnormally low voltage input or simply electric noise on contact and its making the regulator do something extraordinary...for a couple seconds anyway:shrug:

LED61

Flashlight Enthusiast
My A2's whine when the batteries are putting out the last available juice to keep in regulation. I think it is the PWM regulator as it struggles to light up the incan. Soon thereafter the incan falls out of regulation into dim mode.

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks everybody for the multitude of replies - figured it was normal but always nice to be certain :rolleyes:

I still can't get over what a great light this is!

Last edited:

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ya, I always assumed it was just normal, guess it is. Thought maybe my tailcap just had a leaky resistor at worst.

Definitely comes from the tailcap, not the voltage regulator in the front of the body.

LED61

Flashlight Enthusiast
I double and triplechecked on the hum, and I now agree that it definitely comes from the tailcap, not the regulator.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
I don't hear any whine but then again I have blasted those high frequency receptors away years ago.
Claymores
C4
AT-4s
Grenades
.50BMG
Yeah none of those are good for your ears I found out.

knightrider

Enlightened
I have a L2 that whines kind of loud when it's engaged in the low mode. Always thought it was the 2-stage tailcaps fault. It is kind of scary... was thinking my L2 might blow up or something until I searched around here and found that it was normal.

Hope you're enjoying your A2! Would love to hear your thoughts on the Strion kit.

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hope you're enjoying your A2! Would love to hear your thoughts on the Strion kit.

Knightrider - "enjoying" does not even come close to how happy I am with the A2. It is one of my favorite lights I own between my spy and c2/m60WL. The red output is the perfect level and the incan is gorgeous.

It was wonderful before the strion mod and now its just simply amazing - add to the equation that I'm running it on lifep04s for free lumens and its just heaven.

Thanks again :twothumbs

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most regulated lights I've used buzzed at one point or the other.

Last edited:

knightrider

Enlightened
That's awesome! Sounds like you have a great combo that is even rechargeable. I might have to mod my white A2 out like that someday. Those Spy lights are fantastic!

Why is the A2 one of the greatest lights ever made?... :cool:

Last edited:

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't hear any whine but then again I have blasted those high frequency receptors away years ago.
Claymores
C4
AT-4s
Grenades
.50BMG
Yeah none of those are good for your ears I found out.

Huh? You say something?