Lumens Factory Pen Light?

metlarules

Flashlight Enthusiast
How is the output and beam of the Lumens Factory pen light? I don't expect it to throw. I just need something inexpensive for gifts to technicians to view wire colors up close.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Output is roughly equal to a 2AAA Minimag. Beam shape is a large round hotspot with very little sidespill. Which is what you would expect for a penlight that is made for examining up close details.

I like them for up close stuff, should work for what you need.

Last edited:

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Cool PM sent.
Can you tosss me a couple bucks for shipping, if so I'll send it today.

I know it will just lie in a drawer here at the house so it'll be happier with you.

labrat

Enlightened
The output from the Lumens Factory pen light is comparably with this one from Peli:

http://www.dartsystems.co.uk/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=73_30&products_id=72

But the hotspot is not round, more oval in shape.
Whiter than the Maglite!
The Peli MityLite has a white,round hotspot, is waterproof, and can take a beating.
The Lumens Factory pen light in itself is not very reliable, the switch is very poor, and will fail any time!
But the bulb is OK, and as I had problems getting new bulbs to my MityLites, I modified the burnt-out bulbs from the MityLite to work as adapter for the Lumens factory bulbs, and they work great in the MityLite.
And is free!
They come free from Lumens Factory with purchases of other bulbs!

And yes to the previous info here, rechargeable batteries, NiMh AAA only give 1.2 Volts, and does not give very good results with incan bulbs designed for alkaline batteries!
Alkalines give 1.5 Volts, and is what these bulbs are designed for.

Last edited:

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I got my lumens factory, I tried alkalines and NiMH's and didn't notice the color shift. It is very warm with both.

I'm sure after a little runtime, the NiMH's will have a higher voltage for a lot longer than the alkalines.

Jumi

Enlightened
Tested mine: Alkalines 1.5V Current draw was 0.5A
Nimhs 1.29V current was 0.48A
Current draw is pretty high for AAA cells so nimhs will work better
Also measured some oldies:naughty:
Mag 2AAA with alkalines 0.29A
Pelican mitylite 2AAA with alkalines 0.37A
UK 2AAA with alkalines 0.4A
Batteries were the same in all measurements.

Btw. LF tailswitch fits and works in mag AAA

Juha

nzgunnie

Enlightened
You've gotta be kidding me, that's funny as heck.

I just tried screwing one onto the back of a Solitaire. It screws on! I couldn't get it to work though. :crackup:

I'm sure you screwed the mag head to the 'on' position before checking that the LF switch worked...? The switches will of course be in series so they both have to be on.

Illum

Flashaholic
its not that AW isn't willing to sell protected 10440s, it simply cannot be done given the area to work with, unless the cell is shrunk to something like 10220s...then mebbe:D