• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Lucy--a Luce de Notte Custom Build

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've always like the look of the OSTAR reflector, with its facets, and decided that it would look good with an 18mm Ice Blue sphere. And, I wanted to do a knurled Luce with something more than just grooves, so how could I resist putting a dimple, or two in there?

Word got out that I was working on a couple of spec Luci, and before I knew what hit me, I had a customer for this, now aptly named Lucy:

LucyVert1.jpg

LucySlant1.jpg

LucyVert2.jpg

I'll take some daylight shots tomorrow, if I get a chance, and before I ship her out. You can only put up with a Lucy for so long, ya know? ;)

Tink

Newly Enlightened
My baby! so long in the bornin', I need to have her in my life, in my home - now, if not sooner. Isn't she the most impressive grand dame? Look at that smile -- she took my heart the first moment I saw her. I know she will light up my life - what more could one ask of a love object? To protect me in the darkness? Surely she will do that. The rest of the time she will be a guardian of the utmost beauty.

As for putting up with Lucy - I can, I will, I insist on it. Let's go, Fred: send my baby home. I promise to take the very best care of her.

And as to you, my dear, there is not much more to say. You are a genius, not an iota less. But stick to the truth... I never hit you. Can you say beg, grovel, cajole? Those, mayhaps, but HIT? Never!

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
True, I wasn't actually hit by anything, it was more like an attack by a Doberman. :crackup:

Some daylight shots--a size comparison shot, first:

LucyCompShot.jpg

Lucy, 35mm diameter, on the left, then a large Luce and finally, a regular sized Luce.

LucyDayVert1.jpg

LucyDayFront1.jpg

And now, she gets thrown in a box and kicked out the door. :D

Last edited:

Tink

Newly Enlightened
True, I wasn't actually hit by anything, it was more like an attack by a Doberman. :crackup:

More like a sweet, tiny butterfly. See those wings? :aaa:

Some daylight shots--a size comparison shot, first:

LucyCompShot.jpg

Lucy, 35mm diameter, on the left, then a large Luce and finally, a regular sized Luce.

LucyDayVert1.jpg

LucyDayFront1.jpg

Thrown? Kicked? Operator, give me the police!

RGB_LED

Enlightened
:eek::cool: Wow! I'm speechless... I always loved the lines on your Luce's but Lucy is pretty darn stunning.

Lucy wouldn't happen to have any sisters who are looking for a new home, would she? :naughty:

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
:eek::cool: Wow! I'm speechless... I always loved the lines on your Luce's but Lucy is pretty darn stunning.

Lucy wouldn't happen to have any sisters who are looking for a new home, would she? :naughty:

Well, let's just say that she may have some unborn siblings. I finally have some 15mm Trit spheres, and I have a couple of OSTAR reflectors left, so something could be made. But I have some other designs floating around that may see the light of day before too long.

RGB_LED

Enlightened
Well, let's just say that she may have some unborn siblings. I finally have some 15mm Trit spheres, and I have a couple of OSTAR reflectors left, so something could be made. But I have some other designs floating around that may see the light of day before too long.
:crackup::clap:Fred, that's just cruel to tease like that... Please let me know if / when you have another Luce / Lucy design for sale. :popcorn:

Hmm... in the meantime, I'm almost tempted to just post on the BST thread for a used Luce since it's almost impossible to get my hands on a tritium sphere... :crazy:

Last edited:

deusexaethera

Banned
LucyDayFront1.jpg

When you make these again, I simply must have one exactly like that -- except with a flat polished tail, engraved with a radiation symbol.

I don't know why, but I can't get enough of looking at your dimpled-crosshatching pattern. I've never seen anything like it anywhere, but those little round holes in the middle turn what would otherwise be a rather boring surface into something exciting.

I bet blind people would be thrilled to pieces just to fiddle with your flashlights, even if they couldn't see the light. The textures alone are fascinating.

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unfortunately, I won't be offering any more Luce de Nottes--seems that someone complained to the NRC and they passed it along to the State of Massachusetts, which then sent their Radiation Control Officer out to see what was going on.

Long story made short: The two licenses needed to resell Tritium products would be $10,000, a tad more than the revenues from the Luci. :devil:

So, sorry, but no more Luce de Nottes.

Of course, some of those textural details will show up from time to time in my flashlights. :D

Tink

Newly Enlightened
Wow!! Lucy is sad to know that she won't have any sisters or brothers. She also wonders what rat spoiled it for the rest of you. :shakehead

Fred - she is as beautiful as the day she arrived. :thumbsup:

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, I can still make the bodies, and fit the reflector, but then the customer would have to use optical epoxy, i.e., Norland 61, to glue the Trit sphere to the reflector.

No doubt some are capable of doing that, so I'm sure that I'll still be making a few Luce bodies when the spheres come in from B@rt.

deusexaethera

Banned
Unfortunately, I won't be offering any more Luce de Nottes--seems that someone complained to the NRC and they passed it along to the State of Massachusetts, which then sent their Radiation Control Officer out to see what was going on.

Long story made short: The two licenses needed to resell Tritium products would be $10,000, a tad more than the revenues from the Luci. :devil:

So, sorry, but no more Luce de Nottes.

Of course, some of those textural details will show up from time to time in my flashlights. :D
That's fine. You can make the shell and I can install the sphere at my leisure. If anyone asks, tell them it's for use with tobacco products only.

I mean...um...

deusexaethera

Banned
Wow!! Lucy is sad to know that she won't have any sisters or brothers. She also wonders what rat spoiled it for the rest of you. :shakehead

Fred - she is as beautiful as the day she arrived. :thumbsup:
I bet you did it, didn't you. You didn't want anyone else to have one, you selfish so-and-so.

smokelaw1

Flashlight Enthusiast

Man, I am glad we have people paid to keep an eye out for almost certainly harmless glowing things. Whew!
I am so mad at myself for passing when I had the chance!!