What the point of buying a real SF 6P ?

firefly99

Enlightened
If you are going to replace
a) SF P60 lamp with a 3rd party LED dropin
b) SF body with a leefy body in order to use rechargable batteries
c) SF tailcap with a 3rd party tailcap

At the end of the replacement exercise, you had a Frankenstein light.

On the same note, why buy an incan light when what you really want is an LED light?
I find it very strange that some folks here buy SF 6P or 9P and convert them to a LED light with a 3rd party dropin. Or some folks who want to convert the main incan bulb in a SF A2 to LED, won't it be easier just to get a SF U2 instead.

I believe it would be cheaper to use one of those "....fire" as host for modding purpose.

Last edited:

foxtrot29

Enlightened
If you are going to replace
a) SF P60 lamp with a 3rd party LED dropin
b) SF body with a leefy body in order to use rechargable batteries
c) SF tailcap with a 3rd party tailcap

At the end of the replacement exercise, you had a Frankenstein light.

On the same note, why buy an incan light when what you really want is an LED light?
I find it very strange that some folks here buy SF 6P or 9P and convert them to a LED light with a 3rd party dropin. Or some folks who want to convert the main incan bulb in a SF A2 to LED, won't it be easier just to get a SF U2 instead.

I believe it would be cheaper to use one of those "....fire" as host for modding purpose.

Cheaper yes, better no.

Surefire is the best, hands down. Because I said.

rotncore

Newly Enlightened
Not everyone does that. Mine's stock, except for the emitter.

Besides, you answered your own question: at the end of that process you actually have 2 lights...2 is better than 1 no?

Juggernaut

Flashlight Enthusiast
To get the warranty:crackup::twothumbs!

Surefire gets light in the mail to fix: "hey guys what is this thing?:thinking:" :crackup:

I wish I had a surefire:sigh:. though i'd reather otherthings more:naughty:.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
What's the point of wiping your a$$ if you're just going to hop into the shower and wash it anyways?

I don't know. :thinking: What's the piont of having more than 3 flashlights.

Maybe because we don't all start out trying to LEGO. Maybe it's a place to start. Maybe the point for some people is to gradually tune their light to just what they need and in the beginning they don't know what they really need. Maybe it's neat to Lego you head off and then realize you have 3 more lights worth of parts in the closet. Maybe, just maybe, there is no answer good enough for you.

My real answer is: Because that is how some people want to do it. My question is: Just why is it important to you?

Last edited:

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Ah well it's just that starting threads that in a sense call people stupid for doing something other than the way you do it as the central theme wear me out.

I just don't get the point of threads like this when the answer is and always will be: Because.

There is nothing to teach here, and nothing to learn.

firefly99

Enlightened
...Surefire is the best, hands down....
I know & agreed. I have at least 2 dozen SF and counting.

Why buy a 6p when your also going to get a LED Dropin, leef body, and a McGizmo tailcap
That I meant.

Mine's stock, except for the emitter.
The main component of a flashlight is the light emitter. If you use a 3rd party light emitter, why buy SF?

at the end of that process you actually have 2 lights...2 is better than 1 no?
Only 1 Frankenstein light, plus P60, body, tailcap.

To get the warranty:crackup::twothumbs!

Surefire gets light in the mail to fix: "hey guys what is this thing?:thinking:" :crackup:.
Funny. I'm sure they will just return the entire package back to you as is.

If such a Frankenstein light is faulty on the field, who faults ?
a) SF
b) Malkoff
c) leef
d) McGizmo
e) modder

Last edited:

Muddquez

Newly Enlightened
It's like when I was sixteen and bought a 1967 Stock Mustang and put on the Hooker Headers, Intake Manifold, Glass Packs, Holley Carb, Etc..Etc..Etc.....

I could have done this with a Pinto but what's the point?

firefly99

Enlightened
Ah well it's just that starting threads that in a sense call people stupid for doing something other than the way you do it as the central theme wear me out.

Sorry, Sgt. LED, if the theme wear you out. I noticed this trend of buying SF as host to create Frankenstein light. I find this very odd and totally out of characters for most folks (people who like the brightest light at a cheap price) on this forum.

I had no intention of calling any person stupid nor am I capable of dictating how other should work. There is a more efficient / cost effective way to do it, as suggested by SuperDave.

why not just buy all the parts and build the light that you want instead of starting with a 6P?

Last edited:

KD7EIR

Newly Enlightened
I would guess that for beginners like me, buying a Surefire to start with would give a little peace of mind.

Perhaps I bought my Surefire before modding was an interest for me.

What if I don't really like modding as much as I thought I would? (Is that even possible?) If I start with a Surefire light, then at the very least I still have a quality light left over.

Having read these forums obsessively, I can state that I would probably not start with a Surefire host if I knew that my goal was to completely mod the light.

Ultimately, there are as many starting points for modding as there are potential mods!

saabgoblin

Enlightened
As non hygienic as that sounds I loled pretty hard.

You should try a Bidet, they use less water.:D

As to why:
1.Legoing can potentially save some money.
2." " " can add flexibility.
3." " " can feed your Flasaholism.
4.A learning experience.
5.I have yet to find the perfect light.
6.You like what you like.

As to why not:
1.Doing you own mods is definitely a learning experience but may be beyond the users capabilities, real or imagined.
2.Could be just as expensive once you find all of the proper parts, pay for shipping, realize that you need other parts multiple suppliers and research but this also adds to and feeds your Flasaholism.
3.Uncertain of the quality of the host.
4.You like what you like.

Personally, I want to do all of the above so you all make sense!

Why did the chicken cross the road? Because there was a flashlight sale.

Last edited:

foxtrot29

Enlightened

I just don't get the point of threads like this when the answer is and always will be: Because.

There is nothing to teach here, and nothing to learn.

Which is why I answered the way I did. lol...

These threads are pointless.

Thread closed. Wait... I can't do that.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I call this CertainFire. Because Surefire it ain't.

leef_18650_1.jpg