• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

The Indian Princess

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Every once in a while an oddball request comes along that I give in to.

This time, it was for a Ti AA light that had to have a McGizmo clip and have a multi-level driver. Simple enough, except that this guy wanted it within a month since he was heading to India to attend a wedding. For some reason, I said, "Sure, I'll do it." Perhaps it was his line that he didn't have any design in mind, so he'd leave that up to me.

As anyone who knows India even vaguely will attest, it is easy to see visions of gemstones, majestic buildings, and women dressed brightly and well endowed with gold and jewels. Aren't they all Indian Princesses? (Believe me I intend nothing derogatory by that comment, and if, perchance, I've offended anyone, I apologize in advance.)

Somehow, it all came together in time and this will be in the mail tomorrow to the world-traveller:

FinalSideview.jpg

FinalClipShowing.jpg

The obligatory Ti Clip. :devil:

FinalLitFrontBevel.jpg

A sparkling Khatod stippled reflector is installed.

TritInTailcapPreliminary.jpg

Since the Princess is a twisty, that left room in the tailcap for a Tritium sphere! Why not? :crackup:

FinalSparklingDimples2.jpg

When the angle is just right, the light sparkles off the dimples, a cheap version of bedazzling jewels. :rolleyes:

I'm definitely expecting a photo of the Indian Princess at the Taj Mahal before too long. :D

My bad--I forgot to mention that Chip Valtakis was the anodizer that made this possible--especially within the time frame expected. Actually, I was intending to do a thread on how it was built, which would show the various stages of the light, including the anodizing as it came back from Chip. Maybe later. In the meantime, here are shots of the light as it came from Chip:

PrincessAsReceivedDimplesjp.jpg

PrincessAsReceivedHead.jpg

Last edited:

TranquillityBase

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are the dimple master Fred :)

I'm confident the world traveller will be very pleased.

wvaltakis2

Enlightened
You are the dimple master Fred :)

I believe I coined a new word when I first unwrapped this for anodizing...

I had to tell Fred that the pictures could not even come close to expressing the sheer "dimplicity" of this light.

In case anyone is wondering, there is over 200 dimples (over half of which had to be filled/masked and selectively anodized!:ohgeez:)

Glad everything turned out well, I hope the end user is as pleased with it as we both are. Thanks again Fred for giving me the opportunity to work on some truly amazing pieces.

~Chip

bf1

Enlightened
Great job!

One of the Big 3 auto makers are going to request one for their mates; as soon as they get off their Learjets.

Last edited:

griff

Flashlight Enthusiast
Phread, Do you have Golf ball nightmares??
That is another in a long line of beautiflly hand crafted,brilliantly excuted
desgine. From the photos it's nothing short of stunning. You continue to blend art ,electronics and raw materials into a perfection of tchotchkes.

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
desgine. From the photos it's nothing short of stunning. You continue to blend art ,electronics and raw materials into a perfection of tchotchkes.

Are you commissioning a golf ball light? :crackup:

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am speachless!!

That is a beutiful light Fred.
What kind of size is that Sphere in the behind?

Regards,
Benny

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
after the mondrian :devil:

Yeah, yeah -- I know -- I've been bad.

The funny thing is that I really want to get to that, but if I thought 200 dimples took a lot of time, the Mondrian will be at least twice as much work and tie up the lathe for at least a couple of days. And then it has to be repeated later. :devil:

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
:eek:oo: Royally cool. :thumbsup:

Fred, if the Indian Princess looks HALF as good in person as it does in these photos, that's going to be one happy traveler!

This light is... perfect. I cannot say enough about how happy I am with it, and how grateful I am for all the work that was done, especially in such a short period of time. :bow: And it's going to get USED (but not abused - after all, it is a princess!).

A Taj picture with the Princess... I like the sound of that.

john

Ps - :eek:oo:

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
And of course, thanks thank THANKS to Chip for his stunning anodizing job - what precision!
:thumbsup: john

maxspeeds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fred & Chip, awesome work! Words cannot describe my thoughts. The colors and dimples are simply amazing! :twothumbs

Tink

Newly Enlightened
I think it is an 11mm Ice Blue Trit sphere, or was it an 11mm Blue Sapphire cabochon? I can't remember. :rolleyes:

You are class all the way, Fred. If Lucy were here (yet) I wouldn't dare say this, but that is the most beautiful light I have ever seen. Spectacular doesn't even begin to cover it.

You're amazing, sir, nothing less than amazing.

Tink

Newly Enlightened

I guess when one hangs around the 'net long enough, one will see everything at least once. Not too long ago we had a little cultural discussion about the spelling of 'fuchsia.' That took me by surprise, but you have taken the crown hands down with (the correct spelling of) tchotchkes. Congratulations! :twothumbs
I bow to your superior skills. :bow:

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never seen a light that beautiful. It is jewlery - possibly the most functional jewlery ever.
It's the poster child for eye candy. You done good.