• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Trying to mod S.F E1L

placasador

Newly Enlightened
Howdy folks, I'm trying to mod a E1L, and could use a little advice before I place my order. I tried to post this in the homemade and mod forum, but didn't even get a hello. Oh well :poke:.. I'll try here. I got the light cheap so I wouldn't feel to bad tinkering w/ it. I don't know any of the sizes for the light, as it is in transit.
I think I need a McR 20, and I would like to get a mineral lens as well.
I couldn't find a glow ring. Can I mod the emitter or upgrade? This is all new to me as I just joined a day or two ago. Thanks, and if I'm in the wrong place let me know... Joseph

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Joe,:welcome:
The McR20s reflector paired with a Seoul LED should be about all you need to "upgrade" your old E1L...assuming it is the KL1 and NOT the KX1 version.

Simpley desolder the old LUX 3 and replace it with the Seoul. Make sure to have the polarity (+&-) correct. You will have to cut a section out of the black plastic ring so that you can squeeze it and insert it into the lwer portion of the bezel BEFORE putting the McR20s into place. The stock domed window is fine and does not need to be replaced.

Hope that helps..

placasador

Newly Enlightened
Hey Joe,:welcome:
The McR20s reflector paired with a Seoul LED should be about all you need to "upgrade" your old E1L...assuming it is the KL1 and NOT the KX1 version.

Simpley desolder the old LUX 3 and replace it with the Seoul. Make sure to have the polarity (+&-) correct. You will have to cut a section out of the black plastic ring so that you can squeeze it and insert it into the lwer portion of the bezel BEFORE putting the McR20s into place. The stock domed window is fine and does not need to be replaced.

Hope that helps..
Now thats what I'm talking about!$!$ Now the hard part is finding a McR20S... I think I still want to add a few more bells and whistles to it though. I think a glow ring is a cool and easy add on, and I don't know if I want to put a tail cap on it, and what does the McClicky do to the performance of the piece? It is the KL1 head... Thanks for the help!!! Joseph:D

Last edited:

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, I Placed my order tonight, and I got My light in the mail on saterday woo hoo!!!! Does anyone know if I can putt a glow ring inside the glass? if so what size???
Yes you can, but you will still need to use the factory flat seal that comes with the KL1, for proper sealing of the glass. The GITD oring (or any oring ) will help keep the reflector centered has it will ride down the sides a bit. I didnt actually modify the plastic holder in mine , I just used a smaller diameter o-ring in the bottom of the reflector and it snuggs in and keeps the reflector in place. You can revert back to stock light status if you wish and no damage was done to the parts..I modified mine with a K2 TFFC and used the Lux version not the Seoul version of the McR20. I removed the stock board and its DD, running of a 17670 batt, its the brightests light I own right now.

Last edited:

placasador

Newly Enlightened
Yes you can, but you will still need to use the factory flat seal that comes with the KL1, for proper sealing of the glass. The GITD oring (or any oring ) will help keep the reflector centered has it will ride down the sides a bit. I didnt actually modify the plastic holder in mine , I just used a smaller diameter o-ring in the bottom of the reflector and it snuggs in and keeps the reflector in place. You can revert back to stock light status if you wish and no damage was done to the parts..I modified mine with a K2 TFFC and used the Lux version not the Seoul version of the McR20. I removed the stock board and its DD, running of a 17670 batt, its the brightests light I own right now.
Thanks for the info! I'm like a sponge right now, absorbing as much information as I can. I still don't know a lot of the abbreviations, but I'll get it soon though. What is a K2 TFFC, and how is it different from my set up? also do you know the diameter of the o ring I need? Are 17670 batts good? How much? where? Why is the sky blue? Where do babies come from?:poke::shakehead:D Thanks, Joseph

thegeek

Enlightened
Thanks for the info! I'm like a sponge right now, absorbing as much information as I can. I still don't know a lot of the abbreviations, but I'll get it soon though. What is a K2 TFFC, and how is it different from my set up? also do you know the diameter of the o ring I need? Are 17670 batts good? How much? where? Why is the sky blue? Where do babies come from?:poke::shakehead:D Thanks, Joseph

K2 TFFC is a Luxeon emitter, it had some quality control issues so was pulled off the market, I think it is available now, but not in the higher bins (could be wrong about this). Not much different from a SSC P4, slight variance in beam and color should be about it.

The reflector is 20mm, so your o-ring should be about that size and stretch around it.

17670 batterys are a particular size of lithium ion battery, if the head can accept the voltage (~3.7 avg), then 1 17670 can replace 2 CR123 batterys. You can get them in the dealers section of the marketplace from AW (not an abbreviation, AW is his username), or various other retailers for ~$10 dollars.

Rayleigh scattering.

Ask your parents.

placasador

Newly Enlightened
WOW!$!$ Thanks, that made my brain twitch!! :thumbsup: No parts in the mail today, but I will post a step by step for all the new folks like me when they make it in.. Have a great Holiday, Joseph

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast
The K2 TFFC is made by Luxeon, like the Geek said it had some high failiure rates upon launch and the emmiter was removed from the market. Those that actually made it are , by far , the best emmiter ive seen it its size. The tint is almost incandecent and it can take more amperage than the Seoul. Its not similar to the Seoul at all, neither physically or in specs, its way brighter than a Seoul (if power correctly) and can take more abuse. Seoul tends to get blue at amperages above 1.2. Anyway your best bet would be Seoul at this point , since K2 needs to be modified either at the emmiter case or in the emmiter slot in the K-L1 head. K2 casing is square, has opposed to the Seoul which is round ,and direct replacement for Luxeon leds... Go Seoul and replace the optic with a reflector, but the optic works wonders on the Seoul and the beam looks a lot better ( no square beam) . Has you can see you have options. Ill post a picture of my K2/KL1 when i get the chance.

Last edited:

placasador

Newly Enlightened
Hi Folks, Hope everyone had a good holiday:party:! I ate waaay too much turkey triptafin, and passed out.
Just had a question about the ~stock lumen output of my E1L, and what I can expect from the upgrade of the Mcr20S w/ the P4 SSC? Thanks , Joseph

1wrx7

Enlightened
It will be noticably brighter. I don't have #'s though. For me it's the beam you get when changing from the optic to the reflector. Much more useable for a general use light than when using the optic. My mom even carries one I built for her. She uses it every night to walk the dog. At Thanksgiving she told me she feel's safer knowing she can temporaraly blind someone if she has to:laughing: Remember..... mom's always right. You'll love the mod.

Thanks for reminding me I need to go to the Shoppe. I have to buy some more parts:devil:

placasador

Newly Enlightened
It will be noticably brighter. I don't have #'s though. For me it's the beam you get when changing from the optic to the reflector. Much more useable for a general use light than when using the optic. My mom even carries one I built for her. She uses it every night to walk the dog. At Thanksgiving she told me she feel's safer knowing she can temporaraly blind someone if she has to:laughing: Remember..... mom's always right. You'll love the mod.

Thanks for reminding me I need to go to the Shoppe. I have to buy some more parts:devil:
Right on dude thanks for the story... I needed more parts even after I ordered:mecry::shakehead :D.. Joseph