First pistol

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I've never been a gun person, but after a lot of soul searching and a recent incident where a relative was robbed at gunpoint (she wasn't hurt), we've decided that it's time. So I've just bought a Keltec P32 and my SO has a phoenix 22. We've signed up for a course and I've had my first session at the range (where I did really well, considering I'm a noob). I'm facing this new responsibility with a great deal of respect and care, and hopefully I'll never have to use it, other than for practice. We have no children in the home so there's no risk of injury to others, and we keep them locked up when not in use.

But after trying out the Keltec, I've discovered that the slide is a pain in the a$$ to pull back. Placing a strip of Ace Bandage on the side seemed to help with the grip, but I'm wondering whether there's some sort of aftermarket grippy stuff that's made for improving the grip on the slider, maybe some kind of high-temp silicone rubber glove...?
:thinking:

KD5XB

Enlightened
One really common problem is using your thumb and forefinger in a "pinch grip" on the rear to try and cycle the slide. If you're doing this, try instead using your entire hand on top of the slide, it will be much easier.

If you're already using the better grip, then -- well, you've just spent a lot of money, but perhaps you need something different. A firearm that's difficult to operate in the best of conditions will be a real problem when the chips are down.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lots of folks like the Kel Tec. When I racked the slide in the store I immediately knew I didn't like it. Not because the slide was difficult but the whole piece just didn't feel good in the hand. For a .32 I have a Beretta Tomcat. It has a flip up barrel that makes getting the first round in easy.

I don't know if KDX5B is talking about a grip where your thumbs are opposing like can be used on bigger guns but I'd never use that style on a tiny gun. The barrel is then pointed at or too close to the heal of the hand.

I don't know what grippy stuff you could use on it. The guys at EDC forums are very friendly. They might know. You might try lubing it up real good and cycling the slide a hundred times or so. Lots of people prefer a SW Airlight 38 for small carry. Quite a kick compared to a .32 auto though.

If you decide to look at other choices try to find a store that will let you try rent guns. At least get the candidate in your hands and rack the slide. Some tiny pistols don't like a dry fire. Some stores will have dummy rounds for dry fire.

Here's my .32 Tomcat. It's heavier than your Kel but it is really sweet. Has never stove piped.

HPIM0181.jpg

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found it to be a good choice to address gun rule #1. "Always have a gun with you". Small and thin so never really an excuse not to have it with you. I think you will find that because of small and thin it falls in the carry often and shoot little class of firearm.

Exactly why I hope I didn't come across as dogging that weapon. Lots of folks like it for exactly that reason. The skateboard tape sounds reasonable. I like answers that directly address a question. Good post through and through, BTW.

KD5XB

Enlightened
I don't know if KDX5B is talking about a grip where your thumbs are opposing like can be used on bigger guns but I'd never use that style on a tiny gun. The barrel is then pointed at or too close to the heal of the hand.

Negative. The grip I'm talking about is like this --

Hold the pistol in your shooting hand, as if you were firing it. If you're right-handed, this means holding it in your right hand, and with your left hand, put the index finger to the left of the slide and the thumb to the right. Squeeze them together and try -- just TRY, I dare you! to cycle the slide!

That's a very difficult way to cycle the slide, but many who have never handled a firearm before try just that.

It's much easier to hold the weapon in your right hand, and with your left hand put ALL your fingers to the right of the slide, the palm over the slide, and the heel of your hand to the left of the slide. When you do this, your left wrist is to the left of the weapon -- geez, it's hard to put this into words... but it's about like gripping a baseball bat or a club with your left hand. You get MUCH more strength that way.

macforsale

Enlightened
I was looking into a Tomcat until I read all the posts online about it jamming - is it just a bunch of confused users or what?

Autos can require more attention to ammo selection and how tightly the weapon is gripped during the firing sequence. Some make and models require more break-in than others. Flawless operation out of the box in my opinion is not a reasonable expectation.

The Tomcat has some nice features with the tip-up barrel, external hammer, safety and double/single-action trigger. Either auto would make a good choice depending on the features you believe are important. Either one could have significant startup issue (or not) until you got them sorted out.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Thanks for all the input, guys. The "pinch grip"... yes, that's what I've been trying to use with little success. I will try the other method using my whole hand across the top. And I'm going to look for skateboard tape or ladder tape. Is skateboard tape available at most sporting goods stores?

KD5XB

Enlightened
One other thing that some people miss -- I know I missed it the first time I shot a handgun -- keep your hand away from the ejection port! If you're clearing a malfunction and it goes off, there will be hot brass and gas coming out of there -- that gas is REAL hot, too! My hand was bandaged for a week after I learned THAT lesson! :green:

KD5XB

Enlightened
I've been scouring the internet, trying to find a picture of the better way to manually operate the slide, and I can't find one. However, if you hold the weapon in your right hand, and simply grab your right wrist with your left hand, you'll be very close to what I'm trying to convey.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
KD5XB -

Got it. Yes, works well. I use that sometimes on my Sig. Don't know why it didn't occur to me to do exactly that on the Tomcat. For the Tomcat I just rack the slide with a normal fist shape with pressure on the curled index finger and the thumb. It takes a little force but it's no problem at all.

StarHalo -

No, I believe them. I cleaned and lubricated this unit first. Then I cycled a clip. Everything seemed smooth so I proceeded to fire it at the range. 300 rnds so far and zero problems. I keep it clean and lubed. As macforsale indicated, it may have something to do with my grip. I have a naturally comparatively light grip, its firm but comparatively light. I think the Tomcat likes that. With a .45 I know to stiffen it up a bit. My Sig Elite is fine with a light grip also. I use Speer GDHPs in the Tomcat.

I also think that confidence in a weapon strategy can actually help performance. A light weight .38 revolver would seem to be a more dependable design but my strategy for a small gun pointed at 8 rnds of .32 auto. Some of my strategies are not the most popular. Like for the Sig. it's chambered in .357 using Corbons. It's a real straight shooter. I love that round but .357 seems to be fairly unpopular. I know some agencies use it but most people opt for the .40 in the P229.

zx7dave

Enlightened
I started with a Keltec...ended up with a Glock 26...absolutely no doubt that it will always fire when called upon...not too heavy either...

Bottom line is carrying a gun is intended to be comforting which sometimes comes before comfortable...

If you are in a shooting situation on a dark night...you will never regret the comfort of knowing you have a Glock that will never let you down...

cy

Flashaholic
the most important thing to do after getting your pistol is teaching your muscle memory on how to shoot and hit what you are aiming at.

there is no substitute for number of firing cycles. unfortunately not many of us have enough time and $$$ for ammo to drive out to range to practice everyday.

a practical solution is purchase a pump pellet pistol, .177 Benjamin or crossman .177 pistol.

set up a box target inside your office. practice ... practice... practice....
shooting a quality air pistol will teach you muscles how to react.. muscle memory will take over.

I will guarantee after shooting 2,000+ pellets... you cannot help but improve.

Last edited:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
the most important thing to do after getting your pistol is teaching your muscle memory on how to shoot and hit what you are aiming at.

Yes, I know what you mean. Even though I did pretty well on my first time at the range, it was by relying on careful aim each time, much more than muscle memory, so I'll need to improve that.

I have an air pistol; that's a good suggestion.

macforsale

Enlightened
The Glock G26 was the other model I was thinking about; so what's everyone's feelings on Tomcat vs G26?

Both are fine semi-auto pistols and that point is about all they have in general.
My opinion is that the G26 is a step up from the Tomcat, but that does not distract from the features of the Tomcat. G26 cartridge has more power and pistol carries more rounds. Larger and heavier requiring more effort to conceal, but easier to control during firing for that reason. Very different trigger between the two and one is exposed hammer vs. internal 'striker'.

Take some time to review product descriptions from both manufactures. Take the features from each to create lines across the page and then create a vertical column for each pistol. On each line place the feature that pistol has compared to the other. Your comparison matrix will give you a good picture of how much they are the same/different.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Glock G26 was the other model I was thinking about; so what's everyone's feelings on Tomcat vs G26?

Two completely different animals. One is a small caliber pocket pistol, te other a compact model of a full service pistol. It depends entirely upon how you want to carry, a baby Glock, no matter how much smaller it is, is not a pocket pistol.

american lockpicker

Enlightened
Back when I was in high school I had a Glock 27 it was very reliable but it was quite heavy when loaded, wide and, uncomfortable. If you can get a Glock 19 it hold 16 rounds is compact but not too small and you can use a Glock GTL with it.