Thor and bigger host questions

mr.squatch

Enlightened
Heya I've just bought a handheld HID, can't wait for it to arrive. That got me thinking about my big HID conversion Thor. It's freakin awesome outside, but I want something bigger/better (in true cpf fashion). Can somebody tell me which type of bulb is in my thor? h2 9006 etc? I bought it this way, I'd like to look into better options. Also.. I'd like to build something with a bigger host. What shoulder carry type, big reflector hosts have bigger/better reflectors than the thor? New to all this, please forgive if it's common knowledge around these parts. Thanks a lot. I'll post pics :D

g

mr.squatch

Enlightened
Thanks DM! Those are pretty radical.

What are some other hosts to look for that have bigger or better reflectors? I've seen a couple photos of lights with heads that look considerably bigger than my thor.

g

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
I am not sure which Thor you have, is it the 10 million candlepower model which has a 7'' reflector, or the 15 million candlepower model which has an 8.5'' reflector?

The only other spotlights I know of that have larger reflectors than the Thor 15 million candlepower are the Professional's Favorite 17.5 million candlepower spotlight which has an 8.75'' reflector, which for some reason appears quite a bit larger than the 15mcp Thor's reflector, the AmondoTech Titanium Mega Illuminator which has a 9'' reflector, and the LightForce SL240 Blitz which is a 12 volt DC plug-in spotlight, and has a 10'' reflector.

To my knowledge the Mega Illuminator has the best reflector out of all of these but since it is already a 35W HID the only upgrade I know of would be to convert it to a 55W HID.

10mcp Thors have 100W H4 Halogen bulbs, and 15mcp Thors have 130W H4 halogen bulbs.

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
A higher quality bulb & one of MorePower's tweaked HID ballasts could just be what the Doctor ordered... haven't seen him around the boards for a while though :D

Additionally, you say you already possess a modified Thor what type of HID kit did they utilize for the transplant? if it's only 35w there's always the 55w kits (a true 42w I believe minus the 'overrated' hype)

mr.squatch

Enlightened
It's a thor cyclops 10mcp yellow one. I just pulled out the reflector and was amazed its got a glass lens and a metal reflector. oooh :) The guy I got it from had the reflector stippled slightly to clean up the beam it's beautiful. The ballast inside says McCulloch 9-14v output 35w +/- 3w. How much bigger is the 55w ballast? this one barely fits in there, it's actually made a lil 1" crease in the reflector from the backside you can see from the front. I don' t think it's affected the beam any, it's just ugly. What kinda light output/throw is there between the 35 and 55? Now I wanna build one of my own. Woot. Thanks for the help

g

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like the guy who modded that Thor didn't do any case relieving (you know trimming back internal plastic tabs etc.), you'll find most (if not all) of these portable spotlights have metal reflectors & glass lenses... well all the ones I've encounter thus far :thumbsup:

Dimensions of the typical 55w ballasts I use are L x 88mm W x 78mm H x 30mm, these have been fitted in Thor Scouts up to Thor Colossus's hence I don't see an issue making room for it in your spotlight casing ;)

FWIW the wiring/lead extrusions can/do impact on premium space issues, trimming the outer parts of these connections helps reduce additional mass :)

Specifics detailed HERE :thumbsup:

I believe the 'unhyped' output is around 42w at the globe... kinda' makes you wonder about those 35w kits too eh? :thinking:

Latest posts