Which red LED is brighter?

The Light!

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,
I'm thinking of doing a mod with red LEDs for night vision purposes, though I still want them to be as bright as possible.
What sort of LED should I use for this purpose? a Nichia brand LED or a Superflux LED of unknown manufacture? Or does Nichia make superflux LEDs as well? Their site is somewhat confusing for me... :( :confused: Thanks!

Oznog

Enlightened
The top-bin Rebels are brighter than the Cree XR-C. Notably smaller too.
You need to decide if you want red or red-orange. I don't know what the difference is for preserving night vision. Red-orange is significantly more visible per mw of light. The power output in mw is not really different from red to red-orange but the red-orange scores higher on the visible lumens scale. But like I say I don't know how this works with night vision, lumens of red-orange may have greater potential to disable your night vision adaptation than deeper red lumens.

Blue72

Flashlight Enthusiast
some of the above led are too bright for preserving night vision, unless you drive them at low power.

Stay away from red-orange, you want deep red.

The red nichia cs is a nice balance of brightness for outdoor and indoor use. although it can be a little to bright for indoors if you are trying to preserve night vision.

The Light!

Newly Enlightened
Ok, so if I want high-power LED's I use Luxeon's Red Rebels (sounds like a good movie name! :D ), and if I want just regular power I use Nichias for my applications... Since I would want high powered LED light if possible, I think I'll go for the Rebels... maybe with a dimmer knob of some sort to be able to control the power... Now to read up on the Luxeons! Thanks everyone. :)

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
are not the normal, colored Luxeon (I/III) still the ones giving most brightness?
always wondered about this, because the white ones lag behind very much.

... bright red does not preserve nightsight

The Light!

Newly Enlightened
Thanks! already looked at the CPF one but hadn't seen the other one. It explains it much more clearly thank you! Back to the drawing board for my mod... :)