WHAT THE %$#@ (Pic Heavy)

Cosmo7809

Enlightened
I just came home about 10 minutes ago and decided to take my G2 apart to do some lubing. I unscrewed the bezel looked like this(normal)
my.php
dsc01919pi3.th.jpg

and tried taking the LA out.... It was stuck, very stuck(has never been like that) so I proceed to wiggle the LA out and I see this...
dsc01917ph9.th.jpg

dsc01913cg1.th.jpg

dsc01918wk3.th.jpg

Now my question is WTF happened? I used it last night before going to bed to check something and put it back on my dresser... Any ideas????
The light still goes on high..... and sometimes goes very low and kicks back into high.

P.S.- This was the R2 LED drop in that ttran97 was selling in the marketplace quite a few months ago.

Last edited:

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
WOAH
Time to take all my stuff apart!

Looks awful. What did you use as lube on it previously? I never want to use it, it looks like it went to town on the brass!

Cosmo7809

Enlightened
To be perfectly honest nothing except with what it came with. I was just bored and thought I should lube some lights that I use often. I just took it to the work shop and tired separating the two with some channel locks and I cant get this sucker loose for the life of me.... Throwing it on the floor didnt seem to work either:thinking:

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
The blown up pics help.

Look at the green powder from the eaten brass!

Is it peroxide and baking soda you dip it in to clean it? I forget.

Cosmo7809

Enlightened
Yes, funeral arrangements are being made(hes happy to be donated to science) But seriously.... can this happen to my other lights? Way to prevent this?

kramer5150

Flashaholic
:green::sick2:

Battery venting comes to mind immediately. I doubt the R2 drop in caused that... you can see the damage way down into the body tube. You can see where the corrosion stops abruptly half way down, where the two cells touch. Perhaps a slow-venting, such that it does not damage the cells outward appearance... if thats even possible.

Is it possible its been that way for a while?... not these cells but perhaps another pair of cells did it?

When was the last time you had it apart? I am not sure if SF warrants against battery-venting damage, but before you bury it you might want to give them a call.

**edit**
if you let them know it was a Surefire CR123 that was in use they might be more willing to accept responsibility.

Last edited:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Curious... is it one of the G2s being sold that have been RIT dyed? Water can collect between the nitrolon and metal body sleeve during the dye process. It needs to be thoroughly dried out before being put back into service.

If there's trapped moisture in there... its hard to say what it would do to the cells.

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hard to tell, but the spring on the pill looks like it has rust on it or perhaps that's battery residue.

Looks almost like a battery leak you'd see with an alkaline cell.

Cosmo7809

Enlightened
First off they were surefire cells, second it was not bought from someone who used rit because I myself did.... I left it out over night to dry....:shrug: but that was three weeks ago!