New flashlight for my present from me

fredted40x

Newly Enlightened
Hi, im going to treat myself to a new flashlight for christmas but im really not sure on what makes are the best anymore, i have read a thread on this forum about how maglite arnt the best anymore but because of the popular name are still selling.

My budget is about £40, and i will be using the torch when fishing, i was looking at the maglite 2/3d flashlite but i would like something a bit/lot more brighter but would also like the battery to last a bit.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Fenix TK20
Free shipping from fenix-store.com
8% off using the cupon code CPF8.

I THINK THAT"S THE CODE, somebody give me back-up on that!

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I used to fish a lot in highschool and college, I was never any good although I still had fun doing it. I used to fish with a mini-mag, but that was ~15 years ago. I always found it bright enough for night adjusted vision. So... IMHO you should consider something with a low ~10 Lumen mode if night vision preservation is high on your priority list.

IMHO a headlamp would have been better than a hand held light.

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
There are a lot of choices. A few questions should help narrow down the choices.

What size?
What output?
What batteries?
What type of beam pattern?
Multiple modes?(low mode, strobe mode etc.)

I'm thinking a Fenix L2T V2.0 might work. 2 AA powered, good output on high, easy to use, forward clickie, and a good place to start.

:welcome:

fredted40x

Newly Enlightened
Thanks everyone, the Fenix TK20/l2t looks quite bright, (more lumens then the 4d maglite).

What size? Preferably not over 30 cm
What output? As much as i can get, i would like the batteries to last at least 2 hours at high
What batteries?Anything i can get rechargables for (aaa,aa,c,d etc etc)
What type of beam pattern?Spot and flood light would be nice but strobe etc would not be needed

Thanks for helping

Edit: a bit over my budget but how is this, Fenix TK11 Q5 Tactical with the AW Rechargeable 18650 Batteries(these cost 11.95 each so i could get some when i get some more money in.), if the torch will be in turbo mode the whole time how many hours will the bulb last it says on the site it has a life span of 50,000 hours,

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Don't worry about the LED life(LED, not bulb). Even if it only lasts 10,000 hours, that is still over a year of constant output. Buy the time the LED dims enough to be noticed you would probably have moved on to a new light or something. IIRC the numbers are all to 70% output of the LED, so it should last longer.

The L2T V2.0 should last over 2 hours on high regulated with good NiMh batteries.

The TK20 has around half the runtime of the L2T V2.0 but more output and throw. It also feels better in hand.

The TK11 should last over 2 hours to 50% output with the 18650 battery.

The TK20 and L2T V2.0 shouldn't throw more then the 4D mag because of their smaller reflector, but they should be brighter.

fredted40x

Newly Enlightened
thanks, so i wont worry about the time period, so will the tk11 throw more than the 4d,

Is the tk11 one of the brightest/ best torch fenix do? the strobe looks good on the others for annoying people but it doesnt bother me as i wont be invading an enemy base(unless we go night fishing and get bored in the tents.)

the tk11 does look tempting.

thanks again

Gunner12

Flashaholic
It is the light with the most throw that Fenix makes.

It should out throw the 4D.

There is also the Olight M20 that you can look at for a similar light with more throw and a few more modes.

fredted40x

Newly Enlightened
thanks again, a headlamp would be nice but thats what you have brothers and family for :), plus i will use it when walking with others so i can light up the path for them with a handheld without it going dark when i look away.

Here's a question, i have seen many posts, but in your opinion, fenix or olite,

Is the olite worth the extra few pounds/dollars, it says its brighter and it has more features, is this true? Also i take it you wont get the 4 hours at 250 lumens with the 2 cr123a, what battery do you think they used?

thanks

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The Olight has more modes and more throw but cost more too. I'm not sure how they compare size wise.

As for brighter, I'm not sure. 225 and 250 real lumen don't look that different in real life use. I'm not sure how Olight rates lumen output.

2 CR123 should last almost 2 hours to 50% output. A 18650 battery lasts an hour more to 50% output.

Check this review.

fredted40x

Newly Enlightened
Thanks very much for your help, one last question, are these the protected aw lithium batteries http://www.fenixtorch.co.uk/batteries/aw-18650-rechargeable.html or are they normal ones.

Oops sorry, last question, i promise:), how does this sound, i am going to order the torch and accessories from uk retailers as i wont be charged by customs any extra. How does the following order sound?

Batteries
http://www.fenixtorch.co.uk/batteries/aw-18650-rechargeable.html

Charger
http://www.fenixtorch.co.uk/batteries/ultrafire-wf-139-charger.html

And the olight m20
http://www.qualityflashlights.co.uk/termekekmain.php?csoportid=70

fredted40x

Newly Enlightened
I got down to 2.61 volts on the battery, and the torch still didn't give any low battery flashes, so i stopped it so i didnt run that battery too low and cause damage. So thats one feature that isnt that good,

i have read in the olight m20 review they had problems with the low battery warning as well because different batteries have differnt voltages or something

edit:sorry about double post just realised