Tossed up between 2 HIDs

supawabb

Newly Enlightened
I am looking to pick and HID and have come across a few postings on the VECTOR 35W HID and the Amondotech N30. I am wondering how the Vector compares to the AmondoTech TITANIUM N30? I can get both light new in box, the Vector for $74US and the N30 is $149 + 30 shipping, so $179. Over $100 difference.

Next, which has a more sturdy bulb, ballast, construction. I do not want to get one or the other and have to regularily be sourcing parts, bukbs, ballasts or anything. All in all, if I were to go with the Vector for $74, good? or is the N30 that much better and worth the extra $100?

Thank you

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
I am looking to pick and HID and have come across a few postings on the VECTOR 35W HID and the Amondotech N30. I am wondering how the Vector compares to the AmondoTech TITANIUM N30? I can get both light new in box, the Vector for $74US and the N30 is $149 + 30 shipping, so $179. Over $100 difference.

Next, which has a more sturdy bulb, ballast, construction. I do not want to get one or the other and have to regularily be sourcing parts, bukbs, ballasts or anything. All in all, if I were to go with the Vector for $74, good? or is the N30 that much better and worth the extra $100?

Thank you

I own both, and the N30 is clearly a better choice and I prefer it very much over the Vector Power On Board HID.

The N30 less than half the size and weight of the Vector, yet is noticeably brighter than the Vector. The N30 has a much wider, nicer beam than the Vector and is very white compared to the Vector's blue beam, so it gives far better color rendition and illumination than the Vector.

Another superior aspect about the N30 is its battery type. It uses an NIMH battery which is much smaller and lighter weight than the Vector's SLA (sealed lead acid), and to my knowledge there is no chance of getting a light with a defective battery. When you buy the Power On Board HID there is a chance it will come with a defective battery (mine did and I had to replace its battery). I have heard of others receiving a Vector with a defective battery, but never the N30.

$74 is not a good deal at all on the Vector, whereas $150 is a bargain on the N30 because the N30 is a very high quality HID searchlight. I paid $40 for my Vector and do not feel it was worth any more than that for what quality light it is, but $150 was a bargain IMO for the N30 after experiencing its amazing performance.
I do like my Vector very much, but the build quality is not as good as the N30, and I feel the N30 is in a completely different league and a far better light.

You will see how almost everyone here prefers the N30 over the Vector. :)
Battery Junction was a pleasure to do buisiness with and will take good care of you should anything be or go wrong with your product.

I started a thread on the N30 when I first bought it, here is a link.

EDIT: I just noticed that the N30 has gone out of stock. The Vector is a great light, but at $74, I think it would be better to just wait for the N30 to come back in stock. If you do choose to get the Vector I know you will be very impressed. It has incredible throw for its size.

Last edited:

supawabb

Newly Enlightened
Thank you muchly Bluebeam. I appreaciate your experience and knowledge a great deal.

I will save up for an N30. I thought that I read somewheres on here that there was a new version of the N30 coming out? Any knowledge on this?

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
Thank you muchly Bluebeam. I appreaciate your experience and knowledge a great deal.

I will save up for an N30. I thought that I read somewheres on here that there was a new version of the N30 coming out? Any knowledge on this?

You're welcome. :)

To answer your question, Yes, it is called the Titanium L35.
It will be the same size and configuration as the N30, but with quite a few upgrades, which include: 50% longer runtime than the original N30, 10% increase in brightnes/light output, can be charged from its 12V DC car adaptor whereas the N30 can only be charged from its AC adaptor, and to my knowledge it will be pretty much water proof whereas the N30 is not. The L35 uses a Lithium reachargeable battery which IIRC does not self discharge over time the way the N30's NIMH battery does. The L35 will be around $350.

The L35 also has an upgraded reflector which the newer N30s will be have as well.

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know this is a little OT, but can you tailstand an N30? I'm curious because my friend is interested in one.

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
I know this is a little OT, but can you tailstand an N30? I'm curious because my friend is interested in one.

Yes, the N30 tailstands very firmly and nicely, and will not wobble or tip.;)

kaimaikid

Newly Enlightened
I know this is off-topic but...

any ideas on the throw ditance of the L35 in comparison to the N30, POB or mega illuminator? Like where will it fit into the scheme of things as a thrower?

I wished somebody could do a sticky list of all avaliable HIDs ranked in order for throw and then again for flood - it would be so cool. :cool:

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
I know this is off-topic but...

any ideas on the throw ditance of the L35 in comparison to the N30, POB or mega illuminator? Like where will it fit into the scheme of things as a thrower?

I wished somebody could do a sticky list of all avaliable HIDs ranked in order for throw and then again for flood - it would be so cool. :cool:

Since the L35 will have a 10% increase in output and an improved reflector, it should throw farther than the N30 but still not quite as far as the POB.
The Mega Illuminator would have quite a bit more throw than the POB due to its giant 9'' reflector and upgraded 4200K bulb.

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wasn't somebody recently stating that HIDs shouldn't be stood on their tail as it reduces the bulb life? :thinking:

It's a matter of personal preference. If you don't mind doing it at the expense of bulb life, everything should be fine and dandy.:naughty: