Do you forget?

Centropolis

Enlightened
All you collectors out there, have you bought and collected so many flashlights after all these years that you forgot what they were? I mean like the specs and which is the newer and older models? Or how about picking up a LF2X 3 months after you last used it and totally forgot how to program it? (That's me.)
I'm just curious.

brighterisbetter

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me it's like riding a bicycle or driving a stick-shift. Once it's engrained in you, it's completely natural to pick right back up even after a long layoff. The one exception would be programming a Glo-Toob. That UI, IMO, is horrible.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I keep a folder on my computer for every flashlight I get complete with specs., instructions, features and any special notes. I backup everything too. I can usually operate and program almost anything I have without directions but I often forget which batteries work in what - as in does that AA light take 14500's or only 1.5 volt and does the CR123 take rechargeables? Specs often are forgotten too so having them saved is nice. It really helps to have the info handy and the computer makes saving all that easy.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have several flashlights and enjoy using different lights in the set from time to time, but I am not a collector.

At a time when I really needed the right amount of light in a hurry, I forgot the keypress sequence for different intensity levels on my HDS EDC Basic 42XRGT. I hadn't used that particular flashlight in a month or so.

I sold the light afterwards chiefly because I didn't want to be in that position again.

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had to familiarize myself with the EX10 operation! I've been carrying my C2H and Nitecore Extreme almost exclusively. :shrug:

Lightguy27

Enlightened
Nope, never happened. I know everything about everysingle one of my lights because when I get a new light, I go through a period of using it non-stop for about a week and after that it is like riding a bike. And what good is being a flashaholic if you can't recite all the specs on any of your lights at any given day to the unenlightened.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I must confess that I do have so many little junk and oddball lights, with not many redeeming qualities, that it's easy to forget one for a while. I did have to think a bit the other day about how to put my Proton Pro in the auto-shutoff mode.

Geoff

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have to sit down in a quiet room and really concentrate too learn a UI :duh2:
So far I have only learnt the Novatac UI
I have tried to learn the Flupic UI and it still totally mystifies me :crazy:
But then again all I need is ON=Max and OFF (the KISS syndrome) :D

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nope, never happened. I know everything about everysingle one of my lights because when I get a new light, I go through a period of using it non-stop for about a week and after that it is like riding a bike. And what good is being a flashaholic if you can't recite all the specs on any of your lights at any given day to the unenlightened.

Maybe you just haven't been around long enough. Know how to use a FluPic v2.2? Or it's predecessor the POP2G? All somewhat complex UI's with lots of options. Liteflux LF3? LF5XT? I can operate them all fairly well but I don't try to remember everything about them. I think my hard drive is fairly full (internal personal memory - the brain :D ) but then I'm probably older than many here ;)

Centropolis

Enlightened
Maybe you just haven't been around long enough. Know how to use a FluPic v2.2? Or it's predecessor the POP2G? All somewhat complex UI's with lots of options. Liteflux LF3? LF5XT? I can operate them all fairly well but I don't try to remember everything about them. I think my hard drive is fairly full (internal personal memory - the brain :D ) but then I'm probably older than many here ;)

This is embarassing to admit but a few of us (including myself) who attended the Toronto & area meeting a few months back didn't know how to turn on the LF5XT and have it remaining on. None of us had the LF5XT before of course but being flashaholics I must admit I felt quite stupid not knowing how to turn on a flashlight.

Centropolis

Enlightened
I'm a car guy and forgetting specs on something you own is pretty embarrasing... So it dosen't happen. ;)

Well, I guess depending on flashlights you own, most of them can be pretty easy to remember how to use.....like Fenix flashlights I feel have a pretty easy UI to remember. But how do program a Jetbeam IBS and a LF2X...i probably won't remember in a few months without referring to a book.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is embarassing to admit but a few of us (including myself) who attended the Toronto & area meeting a few months back didn't know how to turn on the LF5XT and have it remaining on. None of us had the LF5XT before of course but being flashaholics I must admit I felt quite stupid not knowing how to turn on a flashlight.

Don't feel bad - that would depend on how it was set up and that is one complex light - if orcinus had not made a flow chart for it I would have spent a lot more time to learn it. It could have been set up to be in tactical momentary on mode. That would have made things a bit difficult. This is why I really like flash drives and portable computers - access to info anywhere if you really need it.

ackbar

Enlightened

Haha... You know what? When I sent it back to be reprogrammed I completely forgot how to use the advanced features. I get it back a month and a bit later and I'm like.. hmm.. so was it 3 clicks or was it 3 clicks and push hold?

Like I said during the get together... once you set it up the way you like it.. you are good to go :D

Kiessling

Flashaholic

This is one of the very important point why I don't like uC interfaces :D ... as I forget, too.

Usually, when I have forgotten, I sell th elight and lie about the specs.
Just kidding.

Seriously though, I just sold some where I really couldn't remember the specs. :thinking:
I shudder at the thought of having to remember interfaces in addition to specs :green:

bernie

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
Haha... You know what? When I sent it back to be reprogrammed I completely forgot how to use the advanced features. I get it back a month and a bit later and I'm like.. hmm.. so was it 3 clicks or was it 3 clicks and push hold?

Like I said during the get together... once you set it up the way you like it.. you are good to go :D

See that's why I brought the Costco HID, incase I forgot how to turn on my other lights, 3000lms was only a click away.

I'm a huge geek I rarely find myself forgetting the specs of anything I own or how to operate the optimally.

Lightguy27

Enlightened

Ok, you got me there because I am not even sure what that is. :thinking: However, after only being with a Novatac 120P for a few days, I can program it just fine. My Dad has one and when I go up to his house every few months he is always telling me to change this around, or to make this one a bit dimmer, or maybe he wants these two settings switched around. :sick2: It is a PITA, but I can do it no problem. And the only reason it is a PITA is because somehow it always ends up a tiny bit off what he is looking for...:ohgeez: If I was'nt a flashaholic and enjoyed tedious tasks such as reprogramming his worklight for him I would have strangled him by now :crazy: :rolleyes: I can only imagine what he will want me to do when I go up there for Christmas.

Last edited:

ackbar

Enlightened
See that's why I brought the Costco HID, incase I forgot how to turn on my other lights, 3000lms was only a click away.

I'm a huge geek I rarely find myself forgetting the specs of anything I own or how to operate the optimally.

Haha.. you bring that HID again and we can all forget our lights :p

JSG

Newly Enlightened
Nope...I never forget. (What were we talking about?)