Maxpedition - Bags and Packs
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nitecore D10 problems

Wink2 Nitecore D10 problems

Hi guys. Here comes my first post
    I just recieved a Nitecore D10 and Im having some problems with it.
    Was told to contact you guys.
    The problem Im having is that after putting the battery in and screwing it together the light goes on but I cant even get the tall cap to move. It like rock solid... And if I unscrew it a bit I get momentary on but can seem to find a position where I can click on and off.
    I dont want to start messing with it if there is a easier solution.
    Please help a noob

Default Re: Nitecore D10 problems

What battery are you using?

I seem to remember some of them being a bit gunked up on arrival (with congealed grease or something like that). Mine worked but the button was a bit sticky. I removed the piston, cleaned it all out and applied a little fresh silicone grease and it's been fine ever since. It wasn't rock solid like yours, but it might be worth giving it a clean.
    "The profoundly wise do not declaim against superficial knowledge in others, as much as the profoundly ignorant."

Flashaholic*

sounds like the piston is not moving smoothly inside the body like it should?

pull the piston out of the body and re-lube it (and the o-ring) with a good light weight lube - re-insert piston and make sure it moves smoothly inside the body before putting cell back in and screwing back onto the head?

I use a teflon lube from Radio Shack - but any good NON petroleum based lube should work.
    Have only had to mess with mine once - and have EDC'd it every day since w/o problem.
    the reality of life... 50% +/- of it will be in darkness(unless you have a light!) dba
    - compare lights

Thanks for the fast replies!
    The piston seems to glide smoothly but Im gonna clean it and relube.
    Will return with the outcome.

Flashaholic*

As Marduke has mentioned already it sounds like it could be the battery you are using. Though there is a nasty blue grease used on the piston that needs to be cleaned off and a lighter viscosity one reapplied, that issue should not cause the piston to not move at all when the head is screwed down all the way . The D10s can be sensitive to the battery length . Sounds like the AA you are using is too long .

I had the same problem!
    Tried alkies, eneloops 14500 - no luck!
    But with the head screwed out 1/4 turn it worked like it should.

I used the light that way two days and now it works just fine!
    With every battery type i put in there.

Maybe it needs just some breaking in.
    (also bought three EX10, no problems on these)

Flashaholic*

Seems like there has been some problems , I dont know how high a percentage, with the special finish Bianco D10s also? with similar problems with the pistons not moving correctly?

Flashaholic*

I have several (4-5, I lost count) -
    and piston lube problems effected about half of mine so I re-lubed and have had no probs since...

as far as cranking the body down tight and activating the switch?
    I wasn't aware that they were supposed to work that way,
    am guessing it still relates to lube issues

"But with the head screwed out 1/4 turn it worked like it should." works for all of mine as well...
    mine actually live about 1 full turn out to minimize accidental activations.
    the reality of life... 50% +/- of it will be in darkness(unless you have a light!) dba
    - compare lights

On a light with this price, quality and reputation, LUBE problems??? Not functioning properly with the head fully screwed in? Unacceptable.

Glad I bought a Fenix.

Quote Originally Posted by Igor Porto View Post
    On a light with this price, quality and reputation, LUBE problems??? Not functioning properly with the head fully screwed in? Unacceptable.

Glad I bought a Fenix.
    I've heard of problems with new Fenix lights too. Sometimes a new product has teething problems, and from what I've read (and experienced), it's usually just a bit of gunk that needs cleaning out in the D10's, which IMO hardly constitues a problem. I wouldn't argue that they shouldn't arrive like that, but if you search around you'll even find the odd issue with Fenix, Surefires or just about any other brand. And if required, I've heard no complaints about their customer service.
    "The profoundly wise do not declaim against superficial knowledge in others, as much as the profoundly ignorant."

Every brand has its problems, and I will buy a D10/20 soon. But I think they spent too much time on the UI and piston innovation and forgot about the lube. That way, when a customer first receives the flashlight, it doesnt't work properly out of the box, and since the first impression counts very much...

I, with my mechanical and crafting abilities, would immediatly recognize the problem, clean and lubricate properly, but for the average user it might be difficult to do.

Yes, first impressions are important. I do think that producing a high tec, innovative, and good quality light at that price runs a fairly high risk of the occasional hiccup though, and it would be a shame to see people put off by it. I realise they're not that cheap, but what I'm getting at is, I'd rather pay the going rate for a D10 and have to give it a clean (or at worst return it for a speedy repair/replacement) than pay considerably more for very stringent QC. Well it's not so much I'd rather, as I can't afford to.

Agree. Actually I don't think 50 bucks for a great flashlight is expensive, since it will last for many years of great use.

Expensive for me is a 10 dollar haircut, which lasts one month, or a 10 bucks McDonalds meal, which lasts a few hours LOL.

Well, I'll continue to collect dollars to buy my D10 and D20, since I have to import them and pay taxes...

Expensive for me is a 10 dollar haircut, which lasts one month
    I feel the same. My solution was to buy some electric shears and do it myself. It saves a fortune if you don't mind being a baldy!

I am having the same problems with my new (yesterday) EX10. With the head partially unscrewed, momentary works, and the piston moves freely. With the head screwed down, even with no battery in it, the piston is almost locked in place. Will hardly move at all. When the head is screwed down, it will either be continuously on high, or not lit at all. The switch does nothing. If I partially unscrew the head it flickers or turns on/off by itself, and does all manner of strange things. It just doesn't work until the head is unscrewed enough to use momentary.

Have you tried removing the piston and cleaning the inside of the body, especially around the bottom where the button end of the piston pokes though?

I cleaned the body and piston very well, it moves very smoothly with the head screwed out for momentary. With the head screwed down the piston seems "trapped" and unable to move.

That's me out of DIY tips then.

Return to the store or trim down a bit of the piston length?
    Last edited by Igor Porto; 12-02-2008 at 09:18 AM.
    The darkness is afraid of us.
    Nitecore D10 • Nitecore EX10 • Nitecore EZ123 • Olight M20 • Thrunite Catapult

Return to the store or trim down a bit of the tube length?
    I think that would work, but I suspect from looking at mine that the battery contacts in the head aren't fitted in far enough. I would go with the first option and contact them. That way you'll end up with one that functions how it's supposed to without digging into the toolbox.

Quote Originally Posted by burf151 View Post
    I am having the same problems with my new (yesterday) EX10. With the head partially unscrewed, momentary works, and the piston moves freely. With the head screwed down, even with no battery in it, the piston is almost locked in place. Will hardly move at all. When the head is screwed down, it will either be continuously on high, or not lit at all. The switch does nothing. If I partially unscrew the head it flickers or turns on/off by itself, and does all manner of strange things. It just doesn't work until the head is unscrewed enough to use momentary.
    Be sure you are using the correct battery, either a standard lithium primary or an AW R123 rechargable. Any other brand of rechargables will be too long, and do exactly what you are describing. If you are using the correct battery, there could be a problem with the split ring. Be sure that it is moving up and down freely and not binding. Rotate the split by a 1/4 turn at a time to see if you find a sweet spot for the switching. If that doesn't work, be sure that contact area under the split ring is clean and free of oil, dirt, grease, or oxidation. I would get some Dexoit RED and put a drop under the ring using a syringe or just a toothpick. Press down gently on the ring and rotate the the ring a few times cleaning the contact area on the printed circuit board. Let it dry and repeat this cleaning again. This should make a big differnce in the light's operation. If not, send it back.

Note that even when the switch is working correctly, you will find that the piston travel on the EX10 isn't far. In fact it is much less than the D10. Some people like this and others don't. The people that don't can unscrew the head a 1/4 turn and get a bit more piston movement.

Quote Originally Posted by burf151 View Post
    I cleaned the body and piston very well, it moves very smoothly with the head screwed out for momentary. With the head screwed down the piston seems "trapped" and unable to move.
    That is a problem with the split-ring. Try pushing down on the brass split-ring and see if it binds. Mine did that the first day, and I just rotated it around a little bit and it stopped doing that. Mine was locking up like yours, and after doing that to the split-ring it was fixed. Try this and let me know your results.

Quote Originally Posted by Zatoichi View Post
    I feel the same. My solution was to buy some electric shears and do it myself. It saves a fortune if you don't mind being a baldy!
    I have shaved over $500 in the last few years too!

How well does the battery sit in the tube? The battery should protrude from the tube a little bit but be fairly easy to press down into the tube roughly 3/16 to 1/4 inch or so (just guessing).

I an thinking that the spring inside is binding and not letting the battery recess back inside the tube far enough for the light to work when the head is tightened down. My button was a bear to push so I nipped about a half turn off the tail and restretched the curl back out so it would fit snug in the piston again.

Also, what snowlover91 says is true as well. IIRC 7777's posted about it a while back. I think that is usually the culprit.

I love my D10. I still think it is one of the greatest advancements in personal lights ever.
    Has me and you wants to accompany, in darkness.
    Buying Broken Flashlights and flashlight parts.

Quote Originally Posted by yekim View Post
    How well does the battery sit in the tube? The battery should protrude from the tube a little bit but be fairly easy to press down into the tube roughly 3/16 to 1/4 inch or so (just guessing).

I an thinking that the spring inside is binding and not letting the battery recess back inside the tube far enough for the light to work when the head is tightened down. My button was a bear to push so I nipped about a half turn off the tail and restretched the curl back out so it would fit snug in the piston again.

Also, what snowlover91 says is true as well. IIRC 7777's posted about it a while back. I think that is usually the culprit.

I love my D10. I still think it is one of the greatest advancements in personal lights ever.
    Me too, in fact I love my D10 so much I am wanting another one The madness has begun. I have 11 flashlights now, had only 3 about 2 months ago.

I think the split-ring is the problem, did you try what I suggested?

It's a great light--please let us know if yours is okay now.

Oh and... !
    Galadriel: I give you the light of Eärendil, our most beloved star. May it be a light for you in dark places, when all other lights go out.

Did you solve your problem? Let us know what happend.

Don't know about the op, but I haven't gotten mine straightened out yet. I'm trying each of your suggestions one by one. Thanks for the help!