Nitecore D10 problems

kramp

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys. Here comes my first post
I just recieved a Nitecore D10 and Im having some problems with it.
Was told to contact you guys.
The problem Im having is that after putting the battery in and screwing it together the light goes on but I cant even get the tall cap to move. It like rock solid... And if I unscrew it a bit I get momentary on but can seem to find a position where I can click on and off.
I dont want to start messing with it if there is a easier solution.
Please help a noob :)

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I seem to remember some of them being a bit gunked up on arrival (with congealed grease or something like that). Mine worked but the button was a bit sticky. I removed the piston, cleaned it all out and applied a little fresh silicone grease and it's been fine ever since. It wasn't rock solid like yours, but it might be worth giving it a clean.

lebox97

Enlightened
sounds like the piston is not moving smoothly inside the body like it should?

pull the piston out of the body and re-lube it (and the o-ring) with a good light weight lube - re-insert piston and make sure it moves smoothly inside the body before putting cell back in and screwing back onto the head?

I use a teflon lube from Radio Shack - but any good NON petroleum based lube should work.
Have only had to mess with mine once - and have EDC'd it every day since w/o problem.

kramp

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the fast replies!
The piston seems to glide smoothly but Im gonna clean it and relube.
Will return with the outcome.

litetube

Enlightened
As Marduke has mentioned already it sounds like it could be the battery you are using. Though there is a nasty blue grease used on the piston that needs to be cleaned off and a lighter viscosity one reapplied, that issue should not cause the piston to not move at all when the head is screwed down all the way . The D10s can be sensitive to the battery length . Sounds like the AA you are using is too long .

pyro

Enlightened
I had the same problem!
Tried alkies, eneloops 14500 - no luck!
But with the head screwed out 1/4 turn it worked like it should.

I used the light that way two days and now it works just fine!
With every battery type i put in there.

Maybe it needs just some breaking in.
(also bought three EX10, no problems on these)

litetube

Enlightened
Seems like there has been some problems , I dont know how high a percentage, with the special finish Bianco D10s also? with similar problems with the pistons not moving correctly?

lebox97

Enlightened
I have several (4-5, I lost count) -
and piston lube problems effected about half of mine so I re-lubed and have had no probs since...

as far as cranking the body down tight and activating the switch?
I wasn't aware that they were supposed to work that way,
am guessing it still relates to lube issues :shrug:

"But with the head screwed out 1/4 turn it worked like it should." works for all of mine as well...
mine actually live about 1 full turn out to minimize accidental activations. :whistle:

Igor Porto

Enlightened
On a light with this price, quality and reputation, LUBE problems??? Not functioning properly with the head fully screwed in? Unacceptable.

Glad I bought a Fenix.

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast
On a light with this price, quality and reputation, LUBE problems??? Not functioning properly with the head fully screwed in? Unacceptable.

Glad I bought a Fenix.

I've heard of problems with new Fenix lights too. Sometimes a new product has teething problems, and from what I've read (and experienced), it's usually just a bit of gunk that needs cleaning out in the D10's, which IMO hardly constitues a problem. I wouldn't argue that they shouldn't arrive like that, but if you search around you'll even find the odd issue with Fenix, Surefires or just about any other brand. And if required, I've heard no complaints about their customer service.

Igor Porto

Enlightened
Every brand has its problems, and I will buy a D10/20 soon. But I think they spent too much time on the UI and piston innovation and forgot about the lube. That way, when a customer first receives the flashlight, it doesnt't work properly out of the box, and since the first impression counts very much...

I, with my mechanical and crafting abilities, would immediatly recognize the problem, clean and lubricate properly, but for the average user it might be difficult to do.

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, first impressions are important. I do think that producing a high tec, innovative, and good quality light at that price runs a fairly high risk of the occasional hiccup though, and it would be a shame to see people put off by it. I realise they're not that cheap, but what I'm getting at is, I'd rather pay the going rate for a D10 and have to give it a clean (or at worst return it for a speedy repair/replacement) than pay considerably more for very stringent QC. Well it's not so much I'd rather, as I can't afford to. :broke:

Igor Porto

Enlightened
Agree. Actually I don't think 50 bucks for a great flashlight is expensive, since it will last for many years of great use.

Expensive for me is a 10 dollar haircut, which lasts one month, or a 10 bucks McDonalds meal, which lasts a few hours LOL.

Well, I'll continue to collect dollars to buy my D10 and D20, since I have to import them and pay taxes...

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Expensive for me is a 10 dollar haircut, which lasts one month

I feel the same. My solution was to buy some electric shears and do it myself. It saves a fortune if you don't mind being a baldy! :laughing:

burf151

Newly Enlightened
I am having the same problems with my new (yesterday) EX10. With the head partially unscrewed, momentary works, and the piston moves freely. With the head screwed down, even with no battery in it, the piston is almost locked in place. Will hardly move at all. When the head is screwed down, it will either be continuously on high, or not lit at all. The switch does nothing. If I partially unscrew the head it flickers or turns on/off by itself, and does all manner of strange things. It just doesn't work until the head is unscrewed enough to use momentary.

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you tried removing the piston and cleaning the inside of the body, especially around the bottom where the button end of the piston pokes though?

burf151

Newly Enlightened
I cleaned the body and piston very well, it moves very smoothly with the head screwed out for momentary. With the head screwed down the piston seems "trapped" and unable to move.