Effectiveness of Wolf-Eyes tactical module for self-defence?

evenchaos

Newly Enlightened
Greeting Folks,

I am wondering how effective the Wolf-Eyes tactical strobe would be in a self-defense scenario (say for evening, late night walk) ? Is it good enough to justify getting a tactical module (where its not hidden deep down in the UI) or is it only useful for military/swat takedown operations? Also, does it work on dogs and other animals as well? (BTW, guns, pepper spray, tazers are illegal up here :()

Cheers!

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
I have very serious doubts about it's effectiveness.

I have had people try it on me and it would not be able to deter me from doing anything. Of course I knew it was coming but I did let my eyes adjust to the dark before it was done. The flashing light was able to hurt my vision but was more able to provide me with a target for my advance. I wouldn't have been able to tell what was in your other hand though (hint). I know nothing about the dog part.

Best advice, it couldn't hurt but you really really need a backup plan.

Last edited:

evenchaos

Newly Enlightened
So in that case, there wouldn't really be much difference in shining a steady beam on high power into someone's eyes vs using the tactical strobe?

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
So in that case, there wouldn't really be much difference in shining a steady beam on high power into someone's eyes vs using the tactical strobe?

What do you honestly expect would happen if you shine a light in someone's face? That they run away, or cower in fear?

Not happening! You need to take immediate action once you pull out your flashlight. Hit your attacker with a blast of light.... then hit him with your actual flashlight.

You can forget about a bright blast of light or strobe working on dangerous animals.... especially the two-legged variety.

Sabre

Newly Enlightened
Is it good enough to justify getting a tactical module (where its not hidden deep down in the UI) or is it only useful for military/swat takedown operations?

For the average citizen, it's pretty worthless. For military and police, it's only slightly less worthless.

Light does not equal defense. Do your masters up there let you carry a pocket knife, at least?

evenchaos

Newly Enlightened
What do you honestly expect would happen if you shine a light in someone's face? That they run away, or cower in fear?

Blind (or better yet disorient) an assailant long enough to either get away or kick them in the nuts and get away.

You can forget about a bright blast of light or strobe working on dangerous animals.

Hmm, thought it might be a bit more effective on them as they don't know what a flashlight is but only experience pain in their eyes. :(

GreySave

Enlightened
Having worked with dogs for a number of years..... the problem is that once they are tweaked they are generally on a mission and are going to hurt you. A bright light is not going to persuade them otherwise (generally).

Now it might be effective on a dog that is not yet at that level of aggression.....the dog that is lurking about and you are just not comfortable with. You might be able to move him away using light. I have used a P3D, Streamlight Super Tac, and even a TIROS XO3 to move docile raccoons and docile and somewhat tweaked skunks along to other locations. When working with wild animals always maintain a safe distance and have an escape route or alternate plan available. If the animal happens to be rabid you will surely need alternatives. I generally stayed about 50 feet away as a minimum.

evenchaos

Newly Enlightened
Do your masters up there let you carry a pocket knife, at least?

Not really - carrying one for the purpose of self-deference (or worse) is illegal. Basically, you need a legitimate reason to have it on your person if stopped and questioned (assuming someone of authority somehow found out). Most of the "useful" knives are illegal anyways, thats not to say that they are unobtainable.

(There is an unofficial page on the topic: http://cutleryscience.com/reviews/canada.html )

Last edited:

griffenspade

Newly Enlightened
Id reccomend the eagletac P10C2. I live around chicago, I was driving around in one of the bad neighborhoods(west englewood). This one crack head yelled something at me, I took out the light and shined it in his face and started strobeing it, (He was only a few feet away, I was at a stop sign and he was on the sidewalk) he started freaking out, started twiching, and hopped a fence and ran off.

It was halarious.:nana:

Iv also discoverd an array of wonderfulling amusing things to do with the light. its my first "high performance light"

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Blind (or better yet disorient) an assailant long enough to either get away or kick them in the nuts and get away.

You're definitely going to have to get physical in order to escape from a determined attacker.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Id reccomend the eagletac P10C2. I live around chicago, I was driving around in one of the bad neighborhoods(west englewood). This one crack head yelled something at me, I took out the light and shined it in his face and started strobeing it, (He was only a few feet away, I was at a stop sign and he was on the sidewalk) he started freaking out, started twiching, and hopped a fence and ran off.

More likely he thought you were an off-duty cop that was "lighting him up."

He probably freaked out at the thought of getting arrested, and not being able to get his next fix before the withdrawl pains start to set in.

mossyoak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Southland with a RedBull in one hand and iPhon
That's a great way to get yourself shot, Darwin thinning the herd I guess.

It was halarious.:nana:

Iv also discoverd an array of wonderfulling amusing things to do with the light. its my first "high performance light"