Advice on outdoor task lighting

TECENG

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

Funny, I have been cruising this forum for a couple of years and never saw this section before!

I am in the midst of designing/building a BBQ island in my back yard and am looking for some LED task lighting on the island itself. I am constructing a fairly tall backsplash behind the BBQ (about 16") and plan on placing a couple of lights on either side of the BBQ unit. My original concept is to have LED lights mounted high on the backsplash and pointing downward so they will not be distracting, and I want them to swivel to allow some illumination on the grill itself if necessary.

I have been looking at some of the lights at The Sandwich Shoppe (flood fixture, tri-clusters, etc.) and was wondering if these would put out enought light for the job, or if there is anything else out there that might be comparable. To be honest, I do not necessarily like the Loc-Line feature as they are just plastic parts and look somewhat cheap. However I might be able to use just one link to keep it short and just allow pivoting rather than have a long neck to pull around.

Any thoughts/ideas? Input is appreciated.

Thanks!

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast
Funny, I have been cruising this forum for a couple of years and never saw this section before!

It didn't used to be here.

Any thoughts/ideas? Input is appreciated.
Your basic plan is well thought out. I have seen fixtures that are meant to stick out over a painting and shine light down on it. You might press some of them into service, although I don't know about weather resistance...

I know nothing about this vendor, but here's one like I'm describing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hobby-Hill-Cord...ryZ20709QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

TECENG

Newly Enlightened
look through this
might give you some ideas on outdoor lighting by LED
then, if you like it...give the creator an email

Wow, I was quite impressed with the summary of the LED conversion ideas. I thought it must be someone with a HUGE interest in LED's, then I clicked the link to the creator ... :crackup:

It actually gave me some ideas of my own, but I just might have to inquire about one or two of the fixtures he used. Cool stuff.