CR123 to D converter

LEDconvert

Newly Enlightened
I want to use my TLE300M in my 2 D Cell Maglight, but I need to find some way of converting 2 or 3 CR123 batteries to D Cell. I tried Googling it and found this in CPF Marketplace:

"MattK12-21-2007, 05:05 PM
....I also have a 2D set up with a 3 x CR123A>2D converter and that works perfectly too."

Can anyone tell me more about this converter or any other workaround?
Any help appreciated!

bunbut

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I had read people use heater/hot water hose can buy in hardware or auto parts stores. Not converted, but make them fit snug in the 2D mag.

Also, I saw my hotwater pipe cover with some kind of flexible foam, I think it can be use for this purpose. Don't know exactly what does it call, but can buy it at the hardware store.

Last edited:

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello LEDconvert,

I have done similar conversions using a piece of PVC pipe. You could go to the hardware store and find the size PVC that your cells just barley fit into, cut a piece to fit length wise in the light body (just shorter than were the spring reaches) then wrap the two ends of the pipe with enough tape to make it fit snugly into the light body. Then put your cells in and if the cells do not stick out past the PVC you will need a spacer like a piece of copper tubing or somthing, you may have to bend the tail spring a tiny bit to ensure the copper tube does not slip through the middle.

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't recall if we did an extended run test with that setup but please make sure the batteries don't get too hot in extended runs - that setup will pull like 3A IIRC.

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try pipe insulation .... the foam tube stuff used to insulate pipes
it has a cut going all along the length of it. Cut the insulation along the
length to get a better fit around the cells.
Another solution is to make a sleeve out of masking tape for each individual cell.
Once you sorted out the sleeve, you then have to mod the spring and to do that
you have to bend the top of it so that it makes contact with the bottom of the cell.
That requires alot of heat ..... BLOW TORCH :D

Last edited:

Photon Joe

Newly Enlightened
I use a coin at the bottom to contact the spring.
Or a washer of same size with the small hole so it is mostly a thin metal disc.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I use a TLE-300 in a 2D Mag, powered by a pair of 3AA/1D adapters, which is probably the most pragmatic way to go if you want the most output in the smallest space.

I'd only go with 123s if it were a 1D Mag, and then probably a pair of LiMN rechargeables and not primaries.