Ballerina requires a very small, bright light source... please help!

Salazar

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys!

I'm new to the forum and I'm wondering if you could put forward some solutions for a little problem I've encountered?:mecry:

I'm currently working on a photographic project. This involves a ballerina moving through the frame of the camera over a long exposure. To convey the sense of movement we want to have the ballerina holding some sort of light sources in her hands and then these will leave a light trails on the exposure. The light sources must be as small as possible, so as to be easily concealed but they need to be very bright.

Think writing in the dark with sparklers for reference! This will all be shot against a black background with a final flash shot at the end of the long exposure to show the model/ballerina frozen in movement (this is why the light sources must be small, so they don't show up much in the flash)

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated! Great forum guys, cheers!:twothumbs

Salazar

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Ah....................

I would like to know how long it must run (constant on) for this to work.
I imagine total flood (beam profile) being good for this?

concept0

Enlightened
I'm not sure it needs to be as bright as you think it does... "Really bright" on this forum means "BLINDINGLY BRIGHT"!

Anyway, try a Photon Freedom (or a few if you need them). They're fairly cheap ($10-$15), tiny, come with different color LEDs (white, red, blue, etc.) and have adjustable brightness. They get pretty bright with the new 2x LEDs, as well...

I bet with long exposure times these would work perfectly. You probably won't even end up using them on full brightness if filmed against a black background...

cerberuss

Newly Enlightened
Hmmm interesting . . . I suggest any small reasonably bright light . . Such as kaidomains buckle lights . . . But With a diffuser tip fitted . . . Think tiny traffic wands. . .lambertian type of diffusion.. . This will allow the brightness to stay the same through the dancers entire range of motion, so there won't be any bright spots in the film exposure if the light is faced directly at the camera. . .

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Attention with the Photon Freedoms, they use PWM (pulse width modulation) dimming and you might see a strobing effect on your final pics. This might make a cool effect though :D

The PhotonII lights do have a constant on without PWM.

If you go for a Photon Light, buy some extra batteries as th econstant-on runtime is not that great, maybe an hour at reasonable brightness.

Here's a pic of some Photon Lights, mostly the Freedom varianbt with the fashion outfits:

PhotonColors.jpg

bernie

paintballdad

Enlightened
I agree with concept0. Since this will be shot with a long exposure, your light source won't need to be very bright. A floody type of light will wash out your subject and if it's directed towards the camera you might end up with some flare. I think a small light like a fauxton might work (might still be too bright though depending on the exposure length). You can always diffuse the light with some tape if you find it too bright. It's going to take a bit of experimenting. Good luck with your project.

nars42

Newly Enlightened
Another suggestion for the photon, it even comes in a white body version which would be easy to hide. It would definitely show up on a log exposure shot, you could even put a few on, like on the sleaves, maybe on the shoes...

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Another option would be the various effect-lights used by the Rave guys and girls, they have small button cell belly button and what else lights that sometimes even have magnets to attack them to fabric and might be able to shine through the clothes of your ballerinan depending on how much she wears.
Might help to conceal the lightsource itself and eliminate glare and wash-out effects.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Another suggestion for the photon, it even comes in a white body version which would be easy to hide. It would definitely show up on a log exposure shot, you could even put a few on, like on the sleaves, maybe on the shoes...

White body?
Show me, please !!
I want one :D

HKJ

Flashaholic
The Liteflux LF2X might be good for this, it can easy be concealed in a hand and the brightness can be adjusted. It works on NiMH AAA rechargeable batteries (Alkaline can also be used, but they will limit maximum brightness).

Your can get it from cpf marketplace

american lockpicker

Enlightened
I'm not sure it needs to be as bright as you think it does... "Really bright" on this forum means "BLINDINGLY BRIGHT"!

Anyway, try a Photon Freedom (or a few if you need them). They're fairly cheap ($10-$15), tiny, come with different color LEDs (white, red, blue, etc.) and have adjustable brightness. They get pretty bright with the new 2x LEDs, as well...

I bet with long exposure times these would work perfectly. You probably won't even end up using them on full brightness if filmed against a black background...

+1

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you go for a Photon Light, buy some extra batteries as th econstant-on runtime is not that great, maybe an hour at reasonable brightness.

bernie

Some colors and battery combinations run signifigantly longer. A green photon II on a single cr2032 battery will run for days. The white/blue/cyan ones on 2x2016 batteries are only good for 1-2 hours. Still plenty of time for a photo shoot, since they'll only be on for a few minutes at a time. I usually get at least a few months to a year of regular use out of a white photon II, which is a few seconds to a minute every few days.

edit: I think the photon II's are going to be nearly ideal for your project. They're about the size of 3 stacked US quarters, and weigh almost nothing. The only problem is the light emission pattern from the LED, they project forward in around a 30-60 degree cone of light. If that doesn't work out maybe you could frost the LED domes with some sandpaper or abrasive scotchbrite, it may give better results. The "fauxtons" are cheap copies of the photon II, I'd grab a few of those just to see if they would work, if not it's only a couple dollars down the drain.

Last edited:

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did anyone see this ad on the main page?

adimage.php

I think the issue with this problem is that... and even a photon will have trouble with this. I think ideally, you are going to want the light pointed in the same direction at all times. If the light is moving, and the light gets pointed directly at the camera it will appear much brighter than the rest of the motion... or as the OP was saying, as a stopping point.

Now, what does not change brightness no matter what direction you point it? A clear incandescent lamp does. Maybe a 12 volt, 10 or 20 watt lamp? Maybe you can string 5 or 6, 2AA battery holders from radio shack on a belt and use some rechargeable NiMH batteries in it.

concept0

Enlightened
I think the issue with this problem is that... and even a photon will have trouble with this. I think ideally, you are going to want the light pointed in the same direction at all times. If the light is moving, and the light gets pointed directly at the camera it will appear much brighter than the rest of the motion... or as the OP was saying, as a stopping point.

Now, what does not change brightness no matter what direction you point it? A clear incandescent lamp does. Maybe a 12 volt, 10 or 20 watt lamp? Maybe you can string 5 or 6, 2AA battery holders from radio shack on a belt and use some rechargeable NiMH batteries in it.

I think you're making this more difficult than it has to be. If the problem is going to be the directionality of the LED light, then a diffuser should be used on a Photon. I'm thinking a small, opaque, plastic sphere of some sort would be perfect.

Where to get something like this? Off the top of my head, maybe a small opaque superball (like out of a quarter machine) with an LED-sized hole drilled in it? Although I've never seen a white opaque superball, just flourescent colors.

There's gotta be a more simple solution for a small Photon diffuser... anybody?

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast

Countycomm has some nice Photon style led lights. They come in two flavors - the light by itself is $1.00, the same light with a small clothespin style clip is $1.50. The clip rotates 360 degrees, so it would be ideal.

As far as diffusers go, just cover the exposed part of the led with rubber cement. It's close to being transparent, yet it should spread the light out some as well.

Another thought - instead of having the light be a point in space type of thing, have it aimed back at the dancer along whichever limb it is attached to. If the dancer is moving spatially as well as rotating, etc., it should produce some nice ghost-body style effects. Also, instead of using the on-camera flash as an ending of the shot, use a small flash handheld that you trigger with the open flash button several times through the shot. As long as she is in a different part of the frame for each flash it should produce a nice multi-image shot.

Either way, we expect to see the final results here at CPF!

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
as the others already typed: You dont need a bright light for this
(unf. I dont have pics (stolen from another forum) here, I can add them later if You want. They were made with a Fenix + diffusor cone).

take a Fenix E01, glue a white, milky plastic pearl on the front. That will spread the light all over
if it has to be brighter, a Fenix L0D

Last edited: