Flashlight Friendly Fraen Optix

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
For anyone who doesn't know, Fraen is a company that builds collimating optic solutions for the Luxeon Star LED. Their initial focus was on producing automotive and display lighting solutions. Recently they have been listening to what the portable light community (people like us!) wants and have been busy adapting their products to better suit our needs.

f1.jpg

At the left, the old style "display type" holders with 4 tab optics....not very adaptable to a circular cavity such as a flashlight head. Not to worry, Fraen lost all but the one necessary tab (for injection molding) and built the new "ring spacer" type holder seen on the right.

The "tabless" narrow beam optics are to be ready soon. I think most folks will start testing with the narrow like I did and soon discover the smooth light the medium and other patterns offer. Delivery is rumored to be from 6 to 8 weeks out as components are being updated.

NO test would be complete without beam shotz, so I used a red/orange Lambertian emitter bench-mounted on a CPU heatsink. The photos had to be shot separately all using the same emitter (using the different optics) so to keep the testing fair, I used a fixed power supply set to 3V to keep results readable.

ft.jpg

The results of the Fraen optics vs. the NX05 are show below.. The truth is that photos really can't show the difference. I saw less difference between the 2 Fraens, but the NX05 wasted tons of light in a washed out corona that was too dim to be useful. The Fraens exhibited nice conctrol of the corona and rid the beam of the die'e square-shaped artifact. Surprisingly, I thought the narrow Fraen was slightly smoother than the medium pattern optic.. Both optics were FAR better than the NX05 IMHO..

f2.jpg

I guess the other thing that makes me feel satisfied with Fraen as a company, is that they are taking time to listen to some of the "little guys". Automotive uses coupled with big money from advertising companied that are looking for better display lighting seem to be eating up most companies development resources these days. It's refreshing to actually see a company put some effort into adapting their products to more versitile uses. The new style tabless optics with ring holder have been worth the wait and are a definite step in the right direction. The rumored "direct-size" replacements for the NX05 are certainly keeping me interested. These optics are worth checking out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Fraen, huh? Yeah I tested the earlier models you had them send to me and wasn't very happy; the output of these look much better. Glad you used the red-orange Luxeon so we can see the pattern more clearly.

Thanks Slick!

Bob123

Newly Enlightened
Excellent picture and test.
I am waiting for my Fraen to come for test.

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a few samples, and more coming. I really like their holders for the optics. The problem with the NX05 optics is that the holder is not available. So far I like the 6 degree angle lens for the 5W. Initial testing shows it does away with the dark spot in the center. But what I really like is the holder. Uh, oh, did I say that?

I am doing some experimenting with their optics, and have plans for several flashlights using the Fraen optics. For the 1 watt the beam is not as tightly focused as the 30mm optics, but the Fraen optics is easier to use, as it has a good holder. Oh, did I mention that already?

Here is one mod using the Fraen optics, if you haven't already seen it? I probably will make this a product of mine. But in the photo you can get an idea of how easy this optics is to use:

AngleLux.2.jpg

Here's a link with a bit more info, if you're interested:

Anglehead LS Mod

I have some optics coming from Fraen, some are for the 5 watt, some are for the 1 watt.

Wayne

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Charlie, I have a good test for your batwing Fraen optic.. Take a bin 2 emitter that has a green corona and purple hotspot and try the Fraen. I've found that the Fraen optics will take crappy, blotchy emitters and make them look great! This only works if there is an equal balance of both purple and green in the original beam. An "all-green" emitter cannot be saved by any optic I have tested tho.

Bob thanks, did you get the Mag D pix links I sent you OK?

Wayne nice mod on the angle-head.. I had been wondering how I could use the larger holder. Most of the lights I build, I am trying to cram more into the head than will fit, and really I NEED those ring spacers!

I've been looking for a C3/M2 Surefire head to use with my McLux + E2C adapter. This will be the first head that I get that will be large enough to host the Fraen optic. I have all but ceased in trying to use collimators in Mag D's & C's since I have discovered the secrets to unleashing the reflector. I've been saving my 30mm optic to use in a light that is not blessed with a good reflector.