• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Bicycle headlight reflectors?

syc

Newly Enlightened
Hi,
I was looking on Don's website and saw some of the sideshooter prototypes and was wondering if there's anything in the lineup that is similar to the reflectors used in many German made bicycle lights, which is similar to a sideshooter:
3079937459_270bb5a758.jpg

This style of reflector produces the beam pattern seen in the beamshots for the B&M IQ Cyo and Fly and Schmidt Edelux:
Inside_Manual_2.jpg

Its a rectangular beam that is brighter at the top than the bottom, so that more light ends up further down the road. It results in an outdoor lighting pattern like this:
Schmidt-Edelux-web.jpg

Is there anything in the existing lineup that could be used this way, if the emitter were mounted properly, or is there a reflector that could give this result if it were cut in half and used like the one down?

Thanks,
Steve
ps.
This came out of a thread in the bicycle subforum.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
syc,

I have not followed all of the bike light threads and since I don't bike (on or off road) it is not an application I am familiar with. However, I do think that there are all kinds of cool solutions and R&D that can go into play here. With LED's you have the ability to cluster, alter drive levels as needed and control the distribution pattern of light well beyond what can and has been done with incan.

I have developed a few reflectors in the past few years as well as done some experimenting with them. For the most part, this has been application specific and the applications have not been focused in the area of your interest. At this point, my activity with reflectors has really been reduced and beyond personal needs for projects and builds at hand, I have done nothing. I am not pursuing the market of providing reflectors to individuals and the OEM or distribution business I was engaged in with reflectors has essentially dried up.

The design you have illustrated above looks pretty cool and I think there is all kinds of neat stuff you guys can experiment with! :thumbsup: You need to determine where you want the light to go and then figure out what will allow you to get it there. Once you are open to a bi symmetric or even asymmetric beam pattern, you are not restricted as you are with a concentric pattern.