4 Sevens
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: best rechargeable flashlight

Unenlightened

Default best rechargeable flashlight

hi new here and I'm looking for a good rechargeable flashing light. I'm looking at a streamlight 51044 is it any good?. I want something that is durable, not real big and bright. There are alot of other streamlights I have looked at but there pretty expensive. thanks

Unenlightened

Default flashlight

I saw this and was wondering if its a good flashlight. I want something rechargeable,bright and not real big all the other lights I have looked at are pretty expensive how does this compare to all the rest of the streamlights it's a 51044 thanks

Default Re: best rechargeable flashlight

Any flashlight is rechargable when you use it with the properly chosen rechargable cells.

Quote Originally Posted by hillbilly View Post
    hi new here and I'm looking for a good rechargeable flashing light. I'm looking at a streamlight 51044 is it any good?. I want something that is durable, not real big and bright. There are alot of other streamlights I have looked at but there pretty expensive. thanks
    Which light is a Streamlight 51044? We need more information to recommend a light. What are you going to use it for? How much are you willing to spend? Do you want a led or incandescent light? Do you need a thrower/or flood light?
    Last edited by depusm12; 12-04-2008 at 09:36 PM.
    James
    TigerLight Vers II, ASP Triad, SF Z2, M3, L6, A2, Inova T2,**9-11-01 "Let's Roll"**

Flashaholic

Default Re: flashlight

maybe you can put your budget and the good folks here can recommend you the best wiithin the range that fulfil your requirement

Pelican 7060 or 8060

Well that's not a bad light at all.
    Tell us you price limit and more importantly let us know what you want to use it for.

That way we can let you know what is best for your needs.
    Are you willing to get into rechargables at all?

I don't mind those little twin tasks, the LEDs make it quite versatile Amazon's got these for about $42.00 USD including 3 x 4/5 sub-C NiCds & "smart charger"

Personally in that price range I like the Dorcy K2 rechargeable (AC/DC charging inc.) Cree flashlight (Manufacturer rated @ 220Lm), it will have double the brightness & more than double the runtime of the SL Twin task light... best of all it's supposedly (according to their website) about 6" long, a tad shorter than the Streamlight you proposed

* Aesthetically it's not bad either!
    Last edited by M@elstrom; 12-04-2008 at 11:46 PM.
    My modest collection HERE & 55w HID spotlight project HERE

Hmmmm... double post after thread merger
    Last edited by M@elstrom; 12-06-2008 at 02:27 AM.

Super Moderator

Welcome to CPF, hillbilly.

I've merged your 2 threads - it wasn't necessary to start a second one. The best thing for you to do would be to look around the various sections here on CPF, and do some reading. You could start with The Welcome Mat, or you could look at some of the "sticky" threads which contain a variety of useful advice, or you could maybe go straight to the Reviews section and look at CPFer selfbuilt's latest review of all the 2xAA lights, which is a superb comparison thread containing all the information on these lights you could possibly need.

Good luck with your search.
    Resistance is futile...

Unenlightened

sorry about the double posting. I didn't see it come up after awhile and I thought I messed something up. my price range is around $50 including shipping. I work as a mechanic and the light I'm looking for is something that can fit in small areas and is very bright so I can cover a decent area. I currently have a 2 cell mag light and it burns through batteries fast and isn't that bright. Thats why I wanted rechargeable so I didn't have to keep buying batteries. I'm not sure if I read correctly or not but I was looking at surfire flashlights and from what I read the batteries dont last long. I use my flashlight almost all day and I need something that is durable if I drop it something that can take about an 8ft fall it will get greasey,oily and such. and also with the size it would be nice to be able to put it in my pocket. I'm gonna search around the forums. I apperciate all of your input
    Last edited by hillbilly; 12-05-2008 at 05:45 AM.

You can check this thread to see if there is a suitiable mod or drop-in for you Maglite(almost all of those will be brighter then your Maglite).

The multimode Surefires can last a long time on the lower modes.

Approximately how many hours do you use your light a day?
    How much smaller then the Maglite?
    Prefered batteries?(if buying rechargeable batteries)
    Approximately how much output?(a normal 2D light is around 15 lumen)
    What beam pattern?(Narrow, wide, throw flood etc.)

Unenlightened

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner12 View Post
    You can check this thread to see if there is a suitiable mod or drop-in for you Maglite(almost all of those will be brighter then your Maglite).

The multimode Surefires can last a long time on the lower modes.

Approximately how many hours do you use your light a day?
    How much smaller then the Maglite?
    Prefered batteries?(if buying rechargeable batteries)
    Approximately how much output?(a normal 2D light is around 15 lumen)
    What beam pattern?(Narrow, wide, throw flood etc.)

it varies per day but I would say atleast 6 hours a day. I'm trying to research rechargeable batteries right now. I never thought about using them and I don't know much about them.

it varies per day but I would say atleast 6 hours a day. I'm trying to research rechargeable batteries right now. I never thought about using them and I don't know much about them.
    You would have the light ON six hours a day??

It sounds like you may be a mechanic (or similar) hillbilly? have you considered a mains light with flying lead, mains spotlight OR a headlight?

Unenlightened

Quote Originally Posted by M@elstrom View Post
    It sounds like you may be a mechanic (or similar) hillbilly? have you considered a mains light with flying lead, mains spotlight OR a headlight?
    yes I am. I'm not sure what you mean by a mains light. I do have a corded light but its too big to fit in alot of places I'm looking for something small that I can fit in my pocket. The link to the flashlight review I have been studying those are perfect size. Alot of guys I work with have the ultra stinger but thats way out of my price range.

Unenlightened

Quote Originally Posted by ToeMoss View Post
    You would have the light ON six hours a day??
    yes on an average. I work 12 hour shifts

I have been using a Ray O Vac sportsman Xtreme 2 AA 1 watt for the same type of work. Using rechargable batteries it runs for weeks with intermittent use. Steady "on" time should be pretty good,and you could always keep extra batteries on a charger. I also use the 3 watt Xtreme when a lot of light is needed. It will last 1 week of use before a charge is needed. hope this helps...

sorry about the double posting. I didn't see it come up after awhile and I thought I messed something up. my price range is around $50 including shipping. I work as a mechanic and the light I'm looking for is something that can fit in small areas and is very bright so I can cover a decent area. I currently have a 2 cell mag light and it burns through batteries fast and isn't that bright. Thats why I wanted rechargeable so I didn't have to keep buying batteries. I'm not sure if I read correctly or not but I was looking at surfire flashlights and from what I read the batteries dont last long. I use my flashlight almost all day and I need something that is durable if I drop it something that can take about an 8ft fall it will get greasey,oily and such. and also with the size it would be nice to be able to put it in my pocket. I'm gonna search around the forums. I apperciate all of your input
    According to this review, a Duracell Daylite was subjected to several 8 foot drops and still worked fine:

http://www.acmediy.com/tools/tool-re...ll-daylite.php

The model they tested here uses cr123 batteries, but their 80 lumens models are still plenty bright and can take rechargeable AA's or AAA's. The 80 lumens models are less than $25 and all Daylite series lights come with lifetime guarantees. You can find them at Walmarts. You can pick one up, try it and take it back the same day if you are not satisfied. The AA model is about 7 inches long, but the AAA is 5 inches long.
    Welcome to the 21st century. Things are going to be different.

Unenlightened

Quote Originally Posted by HitecDrftr View Post
    According to this review, a Duracell Daylite was subjected to several 8 foot drops and still worked fine:

http://www.acmediy.com/tools/tool-re...ll-daylite.php

The model they tested here uses cr123 batteries, but their 80 lumens models are still plenty bright and can take rechargeable AA's or AAA's. The 80 lumens models are less than $25 and all Daylite series lights come with lifetime guarantees. You can find them at Walmarts. You can pick one up, try it and take it back the same day if you are not satisfied. The AA model is about 7 inches long, but the AAA is 5 inches long.
    do the cr123's come in a rechargeable version? and was also wondering how you think it would compare to a fenix e20. I read the review and it was rated as an upgrade to a minimag

Hillbilly, I got a Brinkmann Max fire xenon rechargeable today and am pleased with the overall package. It is rubber coated over polymer so it's non-conductive and looks like it could take a good splash and some greasing and still be easily holdable. Might be good for your particular situation. Plenty bright!
    Skyeye
    "Pay no atttention to that man behind the curtain, he's just a Flashaholic!"

to Hillbilly --

Welcome to CandlePowerForums !

My suggestion:

How about the Streamlight ProPolymer 4AA Luxeon ?

Incredibly tough, durable, and reliable.

Fill it with rechargeable AA's, like Sanyo Eneloops,

and it'll probably last 4-5 hours at "room temperature".

Price is reasonable, too !

Good luck in your quest for the perfect flashlight(s).

_

Welcome to CPF!

$50 is just barely cutting into the price range of the lesser rechargeable flashlights that come as rechargeable flashlights that charge on a cradle or station of some kind... And to be quite honest, there aren't many cradle charging flashlights even available on the market, that are worth a darn, in comparison to the number of flashlights out there that can take rechargeable cells, that require you to remove the cells to charge them that are pretty decent....

Most mechanics are pretty used to having to fork over real $$$ to get tools that are actually worth a darn. The flashlight should be no exception to this rule. I don't see $50 covering the need here but maybe someone can prove me wrong.

I think the Pelican 7060 and 8060 are definitely worth a look, but they are both pretty bulky compared to a number of flashlights that have just as much performance and far more compact size.

I think, If I were just going to throw out a random suggestion that i think would work well, I'd say pick up a Fenix TK20 (the one with the yellow handle so you can find it when you set it down on something black, hehe), a package of 4 Sanyo eneloop AA size NIMH rechargeable cells, and a good multi-channel smart charger. The E2O that you mentioned would be a close second, but I think the TK20 has more of what you would be looking for as a mechanic. Has better grip, more output, and an special "warm" tinted LED that mimics the output if incans more closely, which should really help when trying to light up all that dark grease covered stuff under a car, and at the same time, reduce some of that dazzle effect you get when you accidentally point the flashlight on the one shiny thing under the whole car

--------------

You were originally asking about rechargeable CR123s so I'm going to throw in a few points to consider on that angle....

1. Yes, there are rechargeable CR123s. We call them RCR123s. The problem is, they are not direct replacements for CR123 primaries in all flashlights, and do not behave the same as CR123s. It's not as simple as just picking up some NIMH AA cells and using them in an AA light and everything being fine. There is a complexity that runs pretty deep with the world of li-ion cells.
    2. RCR123 cells don't really have any benefit over AA size NIMH cells as far as total energy storage goes. A good set of eneloops will make the Alkaline cells you are probably used to seem really stupid, especially in a nice regulated LED flashlight like the TK20.
    3. If you are interested in a li-ion powered, rechargeable flashlight, there are in fact much better options than using RCR123s, instead, I would suggest checking out flashlights that call for the use of a single protected 18650 size li-ion cell.
    4. The initial investment of getting some good quality li-ion cells, and a good quality charger that is actually safe and reliable, and a good light that uses one of these fancy "18650" size li-ion cells well, is going to be quite a ways higher than the $50 price point you were shooting for... You'd be looking at closer to $150 to get rolling on this concept, but this is certainly an option worth looking at if you are willing. A single 18650 cell contains about as much juice as 3 AA NIMH cells, and is the same length as 2 CR123s, and only about 1mm thicker. Very pocketable size flashlights are being made that run on these cells, and they are serious performers. Makes maglites look like some kind of hilarious joke that an aluminum tube company is playing on the public, lol....

Eric

do the cr123's come in a rechargeable version? and was also wondering how you think it would compare to a fenix e20. I read the review and it was rated as an upgrade to a minimag
    Saying the Daylite AA 80 lumens is an upgrade to a Mini-Maglite is a bit of an understatement.

I would stick with rechargeable AA's or AAA's if you decide to go the rechargeable route, it's like mdocod says about rechargeable 123's, they don't buy you that much more in my opinion.

The 80 lumens (2AA) was runtime tested by forum member mattchase and according to him, appears to have run for over 4 hours at or very near 80 lumens. He ran his test twice.
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=212583

Near 100% power for more than 24 hours in an 80 lumens light is pretty amazing. (He used high power Eneloops for his testing though, not regular rechargeables.)

As for how well it would stack up against a Fenix E20, I have no experience with that light. The feature set for the Fenix says it puts out a higher lumens, but for much less time. It says it can throw a beam over 100 meters. That's gonna be pretty glaring in close quarters under a vehicle I would think. The Daylites are flooders, spreading their beams out evenly over a much larger area than a thrower, but in doing so give up long distance throw. Not sure if the E20 tail stands but the Daylite does. The E20 comes with a holster, lanyard, spare O rings and rubber switch boot. The only thing the Daylite comes with is batteries and a lifetime guarantee from a trusted company that has been around a long time.
    http://www.duracell.com/products/guarantee.asp

If you keep your Walmart receipt, they also will stand behind the purchase if you are not satisfied. They will take the light back for over a month if you have the receipt. There isn't a more hassle free place to return a product than Walmart...It doesn't get any easier to try a light than that.
    (Nothing ventured, nothing gained)

-Hitec-
    Last edited by HitecDrftr; 12-18-2008 at 05:49 AM.

Am i to understand that this

80 lumens (rated) 2AA Duracell Daylite flashlight

runs on Sanyo Eneloops for 24 Hours ? ? ?

_

now i don't know if anyone has already posted this because most of the later posts were really long and my eyes were starting to hurt. but i know someone already mentioned the Dorcy K2 rechargeable flashlight and that's what i would choose. and it even fits within your price range at 49.99 (free shipping) if you buy it at Dorcy Direct off dorcy.com ( http://www.dorcydirect.com/p-158-41-...-adaptors.aspx )
    Dorcy K2 Luxeon 6w, Dorcy Super 1 Watt, Coleman CREE 3AAA

Quote Originally Posted by Skyeye View Post
    Hillbilly, I got a Brinkmann Max fire xenon rechargeable today and am pleased with the overall package. It is rubber coated over polymer so it's non-conductive and looks like it could take a good splash and some greasing and still be easily holdable. Might be good for your particular situation. Plenty bright!
    Runtime's maybe 30 minutes on it, though.

Quote Originally Posted by HitecDrftr View Post

The 80 lumens (2AA) was runtime tested by forum member mattchase and according to him, appears to have run for over 24 hours at or very near 80 lumens. He ran his test twice.
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=212583

Near 100% power for more than 24 hours in an 80 lumens light is pretty amazing. (He used high power Eneloops for his testing though, not regular rechargeables.)

Where are you getting that? That runtime plot shows <4 hours, not even close to 24 hours.

Hillbilly,
    Have you considered a headlight instead of a handheld light? I have a friend who does underground pipe laying and uses a headlamp for many hours at a time (free up the hands) using rechargable AAA's. I have a nice UK headlamp that I like that uses AAA's and has decent output and it comfortable and adjustable and has a difuser and a red filter. Good for camping and being hands free while messing around in a tent.
    http://www.uwkinetics.com/product/109

Anyway, I'm just thinking that as a mechanic, a handheld light doesn't seem very logistically sound so I thought a headlamp would be better.

Quote Originally Posted by Marduke View Post
    Where are you getting that? That runtime plot shows <4 hours, not even close to 24 hours.
    Duh! Military time. That makes much more sense.

-Hitec-