best rechargeable flashlight

hillbilly

Newly Enlightened
hi new here and I'm looking for a good rechargeable flashing light. I'm looking at a streamlight 51044 is it any good?. I want something that is durable, not real big and bright. There are alot of other streamlights I have looked at but there pretty expensive. thanks

hillbilly

Newly Enlightened
flashlight

I saw this and was wondering if its a good flashlight. I want something rechargeable,bright and not real big all the other lights I have looked at are pretty expensive how does this compare to all the rest of the streamlights it's a 51044 thanks
2lm29sx.jpg

depusm12

Flashlight Enthusiast
hi new here and I'm looking for a good rechargeable flashing light. I'm looking at a streamlight 51044 is it any good?. I want something that is durable, not real big and bright. There are alot of other streamlights I have looked at but there pretty expensive. thanks

Which light is a Streamlight 51044? We need more information to recommend a light. What are you going to use it for? How much are you willing to spend? Do you want a led or incandescent light? Do you need a thrower/or flood light?

Last edited:

Ny0ng1

Enlightened
Re: flashlight

maybe you can put your budget and the good folks here can recommend you the best wiithin the range that fulfil your requirement :thumbsup:

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic

Well that's not a bad light at all.
Tell us you price limit and more importantly let us know what you want to use it for.

That way we can let you know what is best for your needs.
Are you willing to get into rechargables at all?

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast

I don't mind those little twin tasks, the LEDs make it quite versatile Amazon's got these for about $42.00 USD including 3 x 4/5 sub-C NiCds & "smart charger" :thumbsup:

Personally in that price range I like the Dorcy K2 rechargeable (AC/DC charging inc.) Cree flashlight (Manufacturer rated @ 220Lm), it will have double the brightness & more than double the runtime of the SL Twin task light... best of all it's supposedly (according to their website) about 6" long, a tad shorter than the Streamlight you proposed :D

4142992lc5.jpg

* Aesthetically it's not bad either! :devil:

Last edited:

DM51

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF, hillbilly.

I've merged your 2 threads - it wasn't necessary to start a second one. The best thing for you to do would be to look around the various sections here on CPF, and do some reading. You could start with The Welcome Mat, or you could look at some of the "sticky" threads which contain a variety of useful advice, or you could maybe go straight to the Reviews section and look at CPFer selfbuilt's latest review of all the 2xAA lights, which is a superb comparison thread containing all the information on these lights you could possibly need.

Good luck with your search.

hillbilly

Newly Enlightened
sorry about the double posting. I didn't see it come up after awhile and I thought I messed something up. my price range is around $50 including shipping. I work as a mechanic and the light I'm looking for is something that can fit in small areas and is very bright so I can cover a decent area. I currently have a 2 cell mag light and it burns through batteries fast and isn't that bright. Thats why I wanted rechargeable so I didn't have to keep buying batteries. I'm not sure if I read correctly or not but I was looking at surfire flashlights and from what I read the batteries dont last long. I use my flashlight almost all day and I need something that is durable if I drop it something that can take about an 8ft fall it will get greasey,oily and such. and also with the size it would be nice to be able to put it in my pocket. I'm gonna search around the forums. I apperciate all of your input

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
You can check this thread to see if there is a suitiable mod or drop-in for you Maglite(almost all of those will be brighter then your Maglite).

The multimode Surefires can last a long time on the lower modes.

Approximately how many hours do you use your light a day?
How much smaller then the Maglite?
Prefered batteries?(if buying rechargeable batteries)
Approximately how much output?(a normal 2D light is around 15 lumen)
What beam pattern?(Narrow, wide, throw flood etc.)

:welcome:

hillbilly

Newly Enlightened
You can check this thread to see if there is a suitiable mod or drop-in for you Maglite(almost all of those will be brighter then your Maglite).

The multimode Surefires can last a long time on the lower modes.

Approximately how many hours do you use your light a day?
How much smaller then the Maglite?
Prefered batteries?(if buying rechargeable batteries)
Approximately how much output?(a normal 2D light is around 15 lumen)
What beam pattern?(Narrow, wide, throw flood etc.)

:welcome:
it varies per day but I would say atleast 6 hours a day. I'm trying to research rechargeable batteries right now. I never thought about using them and I don't know much about them.

ToeMoss

Newly Enlightened
it varies per day but I would say atleast 6 hours a day. I'm trying to research rechargeable batteries right now. I never thought about using them and I don't know much about them.

You would have the light ON six hours a day??

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
It sounds like you may be a mechanic (or similar) hillbilly? have you considered a mains light with flying lead, mains spotlight OR a headlight?

hillbilly

Newly Enlightened
It sounds like you may be a mechanic (or similar) hillbilly? have you considered a mains light with flying lead, mains spotlight OR a headlight?
yes I am. I'm not sure what you mean by a mains light. I do have a corded light but its too big to fit in alot of places I'm looking for something small that I can fit in my pocket. The link to the flashlight review I have been studying those are perfect size. Alot of guys I work with have the ultra stinger but thats way out of my price range.

bladerunner

Newly Enlightened
I have been using a Ray O Vac sportsman Xtreme 2 AA 1 watt for the same type of work. Using rechargable batteries it runs for weeks with intermittent use. Steady "on" time should be pretty good,and you could always keep extra batteries on a charger. I also use the 3 watt Xtreme when a lot of light is needed. It will last 1 week of use before a charge is needed. hope this helps...

HitecDrftr

Newly Enlightened
sorry about the double posting. I didn't see it come up after awhile and I thought I messed something up. my price range is around $50 including shipping. I work as a mechanic and the light I'm looking for is something that can fit in small areas and is very bright so I can cover a decent area. I currently have a 2 cell mag light and it burns through batteries fast and isn't that bright. Thats why I wanted rechargeable so I didn't have to keep buying batteries. I'm not sure if I read correctly or not but I was looking at surfire flashlights and from what I read the batteries dont last long. I use my flashlight almost all day and I need something that is durable if I drop it something that can take about an 8ft fall it will get greasey,oily and such. and also with the size it would be nice to be able to put it in my pocket. I'm gonna search around the forums. I apperciate all of your input

According to this review, a Duracell Daylite was subjected to several 8 foot drops and still worked fine:

http://www.acmediy.com/tools/tool-reviews/tool-review-duracell-daylite.php

The model they tested here uses cr123 batteries, but their 80 lumens models are still plenty bright and can take rechargeable AA's or AAA's. The 80 lumens models are less than $25 and all Daylite series lights come with lifetime guarantees. You can find them at Walmarts. You can pick one up, try it and take it back the same day if you are not satisfied. The AA model is about 7 inches long, but the AAA is 5 inches long.

hillbilly

Newly Enlightened
According to this review, a Duracell Daylite was subjected to several 8 foot drops and still worked fine:

http://www.acmediy.com/tools/tool-reviews/tool-review-duracell-daylite.php

The model they tested here uses cr123 batteries, but their 80 lumens models are still plenty bright and can take rechargeable AA's or AAA's. The 80 lumens models are less than $25 and all Daylite series lights come with lifetime guarantees. You can find them at Walmarts. You can pick one up, try it and take it back the same day if you are not satisfied. The AA model is about 7 inches long, but the AAA is 5 inches long.

do the cr123's come in a rechargeable version? and was also wondering how you think it would compare to a fenix e20. I read the review and it was rated as an upgrade to a minimag