What happened to the day of uber cheap mods?

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Back when I joined, there were a buncha guys looking for nice host lights, a nice driver from the Sandwich Shoppe, a nice LED and would roll their own. Sandwiches for Mini Mags, Space Needle type mods (who did this first anyways? MR Bulk or Elektrolumens?), cheap chinese lights being modded like the RogueSoul. LED swaps in Dorcy AAAs....

Ahh, those were the days

sORe-EyEz

Enlightened
not uber cheap, but would like to have original newer LED modules available for upgrades on my Pelican & Streamlight flashlights & headlamps without needing to resort to custom modding or 3rd party options. :candle:

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
Back when I joined, there were a buncha guys looking for nice host lights, a nice driver from the Sandwich Shoppe, a nice LED and would roll their own. Sandwiches for Mini Mags, Space Needle type mods (who did this first anyways? MR Bulk or Elektrolumens?), cheap chinese lights being modded like the RogueSoul. LED swaps in Dorcy AAAs....

Ahh, those were the days

I joined right when these kinds of mods were on a decline and chinese high powered lights were starting to appear.

You're right tho I miss reading about these quick and dirty mods. Most of the mods today are built more like super high end hot rods.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's generally not cost effective given you can get production lights with the latest an greatest LED's already in them.

When the SSC P4 and Cree's first came out then modding was the way to go. It was quite a long time from the LED release before a good quality high efficiency LED production headlamp came out. So I modded 3 Eos and 2 Apex. Now you can just buy em. I would never recommend someone to buy the closeout 25lm EOS at $25 then spend the time and money to replace the LED and void the warranty, when they could just buy the 50lm model for $35.

When the next big leap in technology allows us to buy 180 lm/watt LED's expect a flurry of modding till the manufacturers catch up. :D

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's generally not cost effective given you can get production lights with the latest an greatest LED's already in them.
When the next big leap in technology allows us to buy 180 lm/watt LED's expect a flurry of modding till the manufacturers catch up. :D

Yep, this pretty much sums it up.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
that time getting everything needed, costed more than a good light today
and did not work as good (multilevel) and did not look same good. Materials were also not this good.

... then entered Fenix, there was nothing comparable be4
(now there are several other makers also)

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
My first mod was in 2001. Zetex boost converter, Luxeon low dome etc. Voila! Home made sandwich. Turned a crappy Mag 2AA into something really bright (at least back then it was) and useful with great beam. Probably cost me more in parts and time than what you can get cheap these days for a lot less hassle. But there's nothing like rolling your own and the pride that goes with it.

Mods still have their place today, despite the availability of decent cheap lights. These cheapos are good for the masses but when it comes to really high performance lights where everything matters (like driver efficiency), the only option is a custom one. There's still a lot of satisfaction to be had by taking something mediocre and turning it into a "racecar".

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cutting the legs of a SMJLED and drilling out the reflector of a minimag does not make sense anymore.
Dropping an RCR123A into a Q-III would go from 28 to 75 lumens. Followed by tailcap or circuit board changes. Now the bulk of the 1AA lights bought by CPF members can easily beat that.

-----

With the bulk of SSC-P7 lights pretty bad and getting worse, making your own SSC-P7 M@g is quite popular.
Another mod still going strong is replacing older XREs with Q5s & R2s.
I think replacing Luxeons with SSC-P4s are almost done.

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought some of the mods of the day were still $$ to implement. Some of the pills cost $30+ and you would drop that into a AA mag host. A reflector, lens... it still added up.

As had been mentioned, when the far east makers began crunching these out, hand-built units became less efficient ratio for the $$. Buy the whole light instead. While it may not be the SF quality of the time, when the technology changed, you didn't think so much about replacing it. At the higher end, a top performing light would hold itself over for a spell so in those cases, it was a good expense. YMMV...with what Fenix produces relative to cost...it offers good value and performance.

I still use an L1P. ;)

greenLED

Flashaholic
I dunno, but by the time I tallied materials, time, etc. there's no way I'd declare mods "cheap".

There are simple ones (like plopping a 5mm LED in a minimag), I'll give you that. However, once you start messing with circuits... it ain't cheap anymore!

I think Dave hit the nail on the head. Why spend $110 in parts + labor + etc. if you can buy a better performing light for a fraction of that?

My personal answer would be "'cuz I like messing with stuff and prefer to roll my own!", but others think differently. Right now lack of time is what keeps me from building a few mods I've had parts ready for months.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I just bought an eveready hard case 2AAA light, intending to mod it. I like the form and feel of it in my hand, Its very ergonomic compared to a knurled aluminum tube... especially in the cold winter months. So I don't think dropping in a R2/Q5-WC for $7 is excessively $$$.:thumbsup:

Christoph

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mods Cheap:grin2:!Time are changing I have enough parts to make several good bright mag mods however I would be hard pressed to even break even on the parts cost let alone my time.Besides I never could do much more than break even on the mods I sold.I have kept or gifted the last several mods I have made.

Essexman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Space Needle type mods (who did this first anyways? MR Bulk or Elektrolumens?), ....

Ahh, those were the days

15 posts and still no one answers!

Mr Bulk invented the space needle (I think?),

aahhhhh space needle, that was my first LED mod, oohh the look on my face when it was first fired up. The wife thought I was mad, in fact she still does, but puts up with it.

mdocod

Flashaholic
The areas where custom or heavily modified configurations reside is in constant motion. There are a number of simple drop-in solutions to mag modifications with incans that simply can not be purchased as a production light. As as been mentioned already, there is a major lacking of production P7 lights that are worth a look, the P7 is just recently finding it's way into *quality* production lights. There are new cell chemistries becoming available to the mainstream CPF hobbyist, which have opened up some new doors to the world of pocket incan screamers.

Bottom line is, things have shifted. It's all the same concepts, more light, smaller package, more runtime, but the ways to achieve those ends have changed with technology.

Cydonia

Enlightened
Some of the most potentially useful mods (long run time lights for emergency situations) are often the cheapest. I'm after utility and function mostly. All the fancy stuff is for high rollers with a lot of excess time and cash on their hands. It's when everyone starts to play catch up with the rich boys (on credit usually) that things can get out of hand. That's how I see it.

Techjunkie

Enlightened
in the brightly lit suburbs of NYC (Long Island)
I was never one to blow a lot of dough on this hobby. All my early mods were done with home-made parts and hotwire bulbs that didn't cost more than $6. Only last year, I had enormous guilt over spending $15 on Kiu sockets instead of building my own.

That was then.

In the last two weeks I've managed to destroy an SSC P7 emitter, a CREE MC-E emitter, and knock the dome off of another MC-E emitter. That $70 worth of mistakes pales in comparison to what I've spent on my "successful" mods. Between buying new torches and upgrading several of my single emitter torches, I now own 10 quad die emitters in addition to the three I've killed. Not to mention the new batteries to power all those super LEDs. That has all come to be since some time in October.

How those cheap mods turned into this wallet emptying, sleep depriving obsession that causes me to fall asleep thinking about my current mods and wake up planning my next one can be summed up in a single word:

Addiction.

That's what happened to those days if you ask me. If this was only a simple little hobby, most of us non-millionaires would still be content with the occasional cheap mod instead of logging several hours a day browsing parts and checking orders online. CPF is like a gateway drug that leads purchases that simply cannot be rationalized. Addiction? Definitely. How do I know I'm right? Ask Sasha how many posts there are on CPF!

Latest posts