DBS MC-E Review *Pics*

Axion

Enlightened
Got my MC-E pill yesterday, I've been running it off a set of IMR 16340's. I got an extension tube, but for I still prefer the balance of the DBS without it. That said, the DBS MC-E is truly awsome, this first time I've ever really understood the "wall of light" thing. See normally I find that light with beams that are fairly throwy are lacking at long ranges. I love the wide even beam of my L2D, just wish it lit up things at a distance a bit better. This is where the MC-E shines.

The beam of the MC-E is slightly narrower then that of the TK11 or the L2D, just like the spill on the R2 DBS, but it is bright! The hot spot is definitely brighter then that of my TK11, but instead of a dark ring surrounding the spot like with most Cree lights you get a nice bright, warm corona. This then transitions into a slightly less intense and slightly cooler spill. I'd also like to point out that the beam on my light is almost perfect. At certain distances, against a white wall, I can barely see a slight "X" in the spot but it's very slight and I almost never see it in real life.

Alright enough chat, time for pics. Those of you who've read my other reviews know the drill, you can also see my sig for a link to a previous thread with more pics. Between the C2H review and this one I've kept of picture setting the same. F2.6 and 2 seconds for the longer distance shots and F2.6 and 1/8th second for the closer range shots.

For these pics the distance is ~80ft. These shots are pretty faithfull to real life brightness. The only thing that isn't captured well is the sense of anti-tunnel-vision, for lack of a better word, that you get from the L2D. It really is a wide and smooth beam although it's outgunned in this company.

L2D Q5:
L2DQ5.jpg

TK11:
TK111.jpg

DBS R2:
DBS1.jpg

DBS MC-E:
DBSMC-E.jpg

Next are some shots on a white wall about 20 ft away. These pics are under exposed and the lights seem much brighter in person, but they do illustrate general beam shape.

L2D:
L2DQ6W.jpg

DBS MC-E:
DBSMC-EW2.jpg

This next shot is against a white wall with the DBS MC-E close enough you can see the entire beam. The center spot is as close to pure white as I've seen, while the corona is nice and warm with just the slightest yellow tint. The combination is very nice. Then the out regions of the spill are more cool. Note that in real life the beam isn't as tinted as it appears here, that's a result of the shot being under exposed.

DBSMC-EW.jpg

These last shots are of the grass about 5 feet in front of where I was standing. One shot is just the DBS MC-E and one has the TK11 as well. They kinda speak for themselves. These are also definitely underexposed, in real life the DBS MC-E looks much brighter.

DBSMC-EG.jpg

MC-EvsTK11.jpg

In summary, this is THE most useful light I have! The R2 pill will out throw it, and thus be good for specific cases but for everything else the combination of decent throw (I'd guess roughly 13,000 - 15,000 lux just based on my eyes) and a bright spill with no dark rings is a winner. I only wish Alan could get this thing to run on 1 x 18650. I'm not a big fan of the extension tube for times when I'd be carrying it around, and I'd like more then the ~30 min run time I think I'll get with 16340's.

Last edited:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love the tint on my Dereelight MC-E! I'm running it with AW R123's. The current draw doesn't seem to be high enough to harm them. I'd be afraid of running the IMR's down to far. Also would the MC-E be any brighter on 4xCR123's? I assume it's the same on all configurations, just differences in run time.

Axion

Enlightened
I love the tint on my Dereelight MC-E! I'm running it with AW R123's. The current draw doesn't seem to be high enough to harm them. I'd be afraid of running the IMR's down to far. Also would the MC-E be any brighter on 4xCR123's? I assume it's the same on all configurations, just differences in run time.

Have you measured current from the batteries, if so what did you get? I'm just running the IMR's because a I have some spare ones and two for anything over 1.0 amp they should last longer I think. But yeah, I do check them frequently to see where they're at charge wise.

*just checked current draw with my Fluke 77 and got 1.02 amps with fresh charged batteries. Can that be right? It seems awfully low since that much should be going to the emitter. I guess the forward voltage is enough below 4.1 volts for each of the two series channels that even after driver losses current draw from the battery is just over 1.0v.

Last edited:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I got like 1.1A from my R123's. The IMR's might hold a higher voltage under load, and have less current being drawn (when fully charged).

I think 1.1A shouldbe okay for AW R123's, from what I've heard.

Axion

Enlightened
Yeah, I got like 1.1A from my R123's. The IMR's might hold a higher voltage under load, and have less current being drawn (when fully charged).

I think 1.1A shouldbe okay for AW R123's, from what I've heard.

It should be fine, AW says they are good for up to 1.5A although I wouldn't want to push them that hard. I just know that at higher current draws the IMR's actually have higher capacity then the regular Black label 16340's. As I recall the cross over was somewhere around 1 amp.

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Axion, great shots! I'll have to refer people here when they ask questions about the beam. :happy14:

Like you guys have stated, the amp draw from 2 x RCR123's (or IMRs) is about 1100 mA. 4 x CR123's won't be any brighter. I'm finding that the light doesn't really like 2 x CR123's. With those, it's basically an unregulated light... starts off ok, then dims fairly quickly. Plus the driver starts to struggle, and will flicker and whine pretty loudly. Much better with 2 x RCR123's or IMR's. :) Or of course the recommended 2 x 18650... :grin2:

andi555

Newly Enlightened
Hello!

Did anyone try the DBS MC-E with a SMO Reflector? What happens?

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here you go:
I did try it, but like Dereelight said, it doesn't really work. It results in a large clover shaped donut hole. I tried all different focal depths of the emitter with the same result. I took lux readings and they were higher (by about 2000 lux) than the OP reflector's readings, but not as much as I expected.

supes

Enlightened
Thank you very, very much for the lovely beamshots, Axion. I've been dreaming about the DBS MC-E output. Now I need one for sure!

I absolutely agree with you on the L2D's beam profile. It is nice transition from hotspot to flood, almost as nice as the HDS/Novatac lights.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Is the MC-E configured like the Lux V (2S2P), where it can run off of one 18650 like the Surefire KL4 and KL5? Do you know the vf of the MC-E?

Bill

Last edited:

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's probably 2s2p.
Is the MC-E configured like the Lux V (2S2P), where it can run off of one 18650 like the Surefire KL4 and KL5? Do you know the vf of the MC-E?
Cree doesn't control Vf (unlike SSC).

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love running my DBS/MC-E on 2x18650s. I find it's much nicer to have the longer length when wearing gloves. With the two grip/clip/lanyard rings on, its nice and grippy. Gotta check the current draw.

mpireone

Newly Enlightened
Got my MC-E pill yesterday, I've been running it off a set of IMR 16340's. I got an extension tube, but for I still prefer the balance of the DBS without it. That said, the DBS MC-E is truly awsome, this first time I've ever really understood the "wall of light" thing. See normally I find that light with beams that are fairly throwy are lacking at long ranges. I love the wide even beam of my L2D, just wish it lit up things at a distance a bit better. This is where the MC-E shines.

The beam of the MC-E is slightly narrower then that of the TK11 or the L2D, just like the spill on the R2 DBS, but it is bright! The hot spot is definitely brighter then that of my TK11, but instead of a dark ring surrounding the spot like with most Cree lights you get a nice bright, warm corona. This then transitions into a slightly less intense and slightly cooler spill. I'd also like to point out that the beam on my light is almost perfect. At certain distances, against a white wall, I can barely see a slight "X" in the spot but it's very slight and I almost never see it in real life.

Alright enough chat, time for pics. Those of you who've read my other reviews know the drill, you can also see my sig for a link to a previous thread with more pics. Between the C2H review and this one I've kept of picture setting the same. F2.6 and 2 seconds for the longer distance shots and F2.6 and 1/8th second for the closer range shots.

For these pics the distance is ~80ft. These shots are pretty faithfull to real life brightness. The only thing that isn't captured well is the sense of anti-tunnel-vision, for lack of a better word, that you get from the L2D. It really is a wide and smooth beam although it's outgunned in this company.

L2D Q5:
L2DQ5.jpg

TK11:
TK111.jpg

DBS R2:
DBS1.jpg

DBS MC-E:
DBSMC-E.jpg

Next are some shots on a white wall about 20 ft away. These pics are under exposed and the lights seem much brighter in person, but they do illustrate general beam shape.

L2D:
L2DQ6W.jpg

DBS MC-E:
DBSMC-EW2.jpg

This next shot is against a white wall with the DBS MC-E close enough you can see the entire beam. The center spot is as close to pure white as I've seen, while the corona is nice and warm with just the slightest yellow tint. The combination is very nice. Then the out regions of the spill are more cool. Note that in real life the beam isn't as tinted as it appears here, that's a result of the shot being under exposed.

DBSMC-EW.jpg

These last shots are of the grass about 5 feet in front of where I was standing. One shot is just the DBS MC-E and one has the TK11 as well. They kinda speak for themselves. These are also definitely underexposed, in real life the DBS MC-E looks much brighter.

DBSMC-EG.jpg

MC-EvsTK11.jpg

In summary, this is THE most useful light I have! The R2 pill will out throw it, and thus be good for specific cases but for everything else the combination of decent throw (I'd guess roughly 13,000 - 15,000 lux just based on my eyes) and a bright spill with no dark rings is a winner. I only wish Alan could get this thing to run on 1 x 18650. I'm not a big fan of the extension tube for times when I'd be carrying it around, and I'd like more then the ~30 min run time I think I'll get with 16340's.

How much more difference is there between the Cree XR-E Q5, XR-E R2 to the MC-E?
I see on websites that sell the Q5's and R2's that the buyer feedbacks rant about the R2's and Q5's and not so much about the MC-E's? So all this time I paid no mind to the MC's. Looking at your comparisons, I just may have to mod to MC-E.