Battery Junction - Olight
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: LED Lenser (Coast) P7 REVIEW With Beamshots/Lux/Overall Output Readings

Default Re: LED Lenser (Coast) P7 REVIEW With Beamshots/Lux/Overall Output Readings

I've now got my replacement P7 with free P3. The switch on the replacement P7 appears to work fine, but the P3 switch is not as good as on the first one. Perhaps it will free up in use as the P7's seemed to do.

The P7 is satisfactorily bright on Full, easily beating my Maglite 2AA 3W LED and my "1W" Tesco 2AA flashlight (which I think might be 3 watt in reality because it is the same brightness as the Maglite).

You have to try to perceive the brightness increase on Boost (supposed to go up from 170 to 200 lumen). It's actually difficult to notice the difference in any practical situation, in fact I wonder if this feature is working correctly.

On 15% mode, it is still quite bright, beating my 2W Inova X1, at least on perceived brightness.

The focussing is quite good, and you can do it one-handed, but it does not focus down to a tight beam with no spill. There is some spill, but many people of course prefer that.

The holster provided is a bit tight for the P7, perhaps it will slacken off in use. There is no provision for storing spare cells etc. One lanyard was provided in the pack.

The "free" P3 just about beats the Inova X1 for brightness, even though the LED is rated at only 0.33W versus the Inova's 2W. Perhaps this will not last long as the cell is used because it is not regulated like the Inova.

It does not focus to a tight long-range beam, there is considerable spill which limits its range. Interestingly, when defocussed, you get a projector-style tight circle of light with no spill. It looks like you are projecting an image of the moon on the wall (although the illumination is very even across the circle.

The P3 is small enough to go in your jeans pocket or put on a key-ring if you are not bothered about scratching it. A ring is provided which will fit it to your belt hoops handily. No lanyard for the P3 was in the P7 + free P3 pack I bought.

Flashaholic*

Default Re: LED Lenser (Coast) P7 REVIEW With Beamshots/Lux/Overall Output Readings

Quote Originally Posted by kzb View Post
    You have to try to perceive the brightness increase on Boost (supposed to go up from 170 to 200 lumen). It's actually difficult to notice the difference in any practical situation, in fact I wonder if this feature is working correctly.
    take it out into the bush and use it over 150 yards and the difference will become obvious. In closer work the difference tends to be irrelevant.

You might be right JaguarDave-in-Oz. I've not used it in a truly dark outdoors setting yet, only in an urban area with sky-shine from street lighting.

Overall I'm happy with the product. I'm pleased I came on here: one thing it has given me confidence to use rechargeable cells. I wouldn't have risked this with such an expensive piece of kit without seeing what other people have done. Looking at the run chart, NiMH's should improve the overall performance by providing a more steady output for longer.

Flashaholic* was.lost.but.now.found's Avatar

Would someone who owns this light consider sending it to BigChelis to measure true OTF lumens? I don't believe he or MrGman have ever tested a Coast/LL light, it would be nice to check how well the supposed "resistor-regulation" works. And no I'm not trying to put it down, just don't have any better words to describe it.

Quote Originally Posted by was.lost.but.now.found View Post
    ... it would be nice to check how well the supposed "resistor-regulation" works.
    The P7 is not regulated.

was.lost.but.now.found :
    I don't have the instrumental performance measuring capability, but I can assure you that the P7 is subjectively significantly brighter than the flashlights I mention in my long post above, when it is on its 170 or 200 lumen settings.

Another moan which I forgot to mention: the packaging. I got the P7 plus "free" P3 promotional blister pack. This includes a plastic mirror and a little plastic lever to test the P7 from outside the pack. I wonder how much the packaging cost has added to the retail cost. And I wonder how many injuries are caused per year opening these things.

Also, I think it is a bit cheeky to sell products that have been "tested" by every other kid that passes the stand. If LL want to do this they should have a display model, which can later be sold off at half price.

Flashaholic* was.lost.but.now.found's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo DV8
    The P7 is not regulated.
    I thought I had read that the resistor (or was it the internal resistance of alkaline batteries) functioned well enough to quasi-regulate the constant brightness. Is that not correct, or am I thinking of a different light?

was.lost.but.now.found :
    I don't have the instrumental performance measuring capability, but I can assure you that the P7 is subjectively significantly brighter than the flashlights I mention in my long post above, when it is on its 170 or 200 lumen settings.
    I don't find it that surprising that it beat out a mini-mag. I was more interested to know how its 170-200 lumens compared to 200 Fenix, 4Sevens, or EagleTac lumens. Upon reviewing the thread though I see Bullzeyebill's graph which helps out a lot.

Hello everyone. Recently bought a LL M7 from Cebu City Phils. w/c has a higher lumens rating by 28 than the 200 lumen P7. It also has a longer throw so they stated but I don't have a P7 to compare it w/. I am waiting for the Tiablo A9 w/c I hope will be handcarried by my aunt in Canada to the Philippines on the 16th. Someone mentioned in another P7 thread that the P7 will outthrow the A9. I want to see it myself.

The M7 is not that much more expensive than the P7 either. I thought it would be.

It's advertised as 225 lumen. Going by the perceived difference between 170 and 200 on the P7 I would not hold my breath.

Can you use NiMH cells like people say you can with the P7?

Quote Originally Posted by was.lost.but.now.found View Post
    I thought I had read that the resistor (or was it the internal resistance of alkaline batteries) functioned well enough to quasi-regulate the constant brightness. Is that not correct, or am I thinking of a different light?
    I don't consider a resistor to be regulation. It keeps neither the current or voltage to the LED constant (regulated). It just keeps it from burning up.

Also, I think it is a bit cheeky to sell products that have been "tested" by every other kid that passes the stand. If LL want to do this they should have a display model, which can later be sold off at half price.
    Think of it as a way to have a well-tested switch before you buy it! Inova does this also. Any others?

Flashaholic*

Most misleading name ever...(to a cpfer)
    I keep reading the title and thinking that it has a P7

Unenlightened

thankyou

Unenlightened

Question Re: LED Lenser (Coast) P7 REVIEW With Beamshots/Lux/Overall Output Readings

HI,
    IT MIGHT BE A WRONG PLACE TO ASK BUT,
    SHOULD I BUY LL P14 OR FENIX TK2O? I HAVE ENELOOPS. BOTH ARE ALMOST SAME PRICE IN UK.

I got a 4-pack Duracell Accu Supreme NiMH 1000mA cells last night, £7.99. These are long term charge-retaining NiMH cells.

I thought these are the cells for my LL P7. However, I was unable to repeat the observations of people on this forum. There is even a plot above which shows NiMH cells brighter over the majority of the discharge curve. My observations are completely at variance with this.

The Boost (130%) push button did not function at all. The 100% setting was only vaguely brighter than the 15% setting when using alkalines. The 15% setting was truly dim. I thought I had broken something.

However when I returned the alkaline cells everything was back to normal (phew!).

SO what is going on? Are UK NiMH cells different in some way to the USA versions?

Flashaholic*

I got a 4-pack Duracell Accu Supreme NiMH 1000mA cells last night, £7.99. These are long term charge-retaining NiMH cells.

I thought these are the cells for my LL P7. ................

The Boost (130%) push button did not function at all. The 100% setting was only vaguely brighter than the 15% setting when using alkalines. The 15% setting was truly dim. .................

SO what is going on? Are UK NiMH cells different in some way to the USA versions?
    Did you charge them before you put them in?

I admit I did not charge the Accu cells. I thought they are "ready for use" off the shelf? A second reason is that I did not want to risk putting in freshly charged cells in case I blew something.

Anyway I guess this is the next thing to try though. I have to say, I have never found rechargeable cells to give the same kick as new primary cells in any device. This is why I find it surprising that people say they can overdrive things and cause damage.

The M7 is not that much more expensive than the P7 either. I thought it would be.

It's advertised as 225 lumen. Going by the perceived difference between 170 and 200 on the P7 I would not hold my breath.

Can you use NiMH cells like people say you can with the P7?
    Yes the M7 manual clearly states it's safe to use NIMH. All kinds 3AAA batts including high current versions and there ain't no warning to refrain from using lithiums. I intend to use Energizer lithiums when the them LL alkaline batts run dry. Hey does your P7 manual say otherwise? The M7 is also brighter than the P7. Kindly check out INFOSEEKER'S MT7 (same as the M7 but w/ assault tailcap) review and beamshots. Last night I had a shootout w/ my nephew against his Fenix TK20 w/ Energizer lithiums in it and my M7 was like who's your daddy hehe. Yeah it beat his TK by a significant margin in brightness and satisfactorily in throw. JaguarDave's right after all. We could clearly see a rat going back and forth along a coconut leaf branch or stem or whatever it's called from afar using the M7 but not so much the TK. I have a very sharp eye when it comes to vermin because I hunt them w/ my blowgun(s) and airgun. Hit the 1 thou mark ratkills last April I even intend to hunt tonight. It's my 2-3x a week routine gents.

Crossliner67 are you from the colonies by any chance?

Stranger and stranger. The Duracell Accu Stay-Charged AAA cells do not exist on the internet at 1000mA capacity. Only 800mA, and they are £11.99 (4-pack) on Sainsbury's web site.

Yet I thought I bought 4xAAA Stay-Charged 1000mA from Sainsbury's supermarket last night for £7.99. I am going to have to look into this. Perhaps this is the source of my problem with the LL P7.

Crossliner67 are you from the colonies by any chance?
    Hola KZB. I am from the Philippines and I live in Davao City w/c is the largest city in the world in terms of land area. Blowgunning is a hobby of mine w/c I do regularly. Kindly check this out http://blowgun.lefora.com/2010/01/06...orks-he/page2/

I think that'd be illegal here crossliner67 (most things are).

Back to my issue with the Duracell AAA's: the pack is labelled Duracell Accu. I thought all Accu cells are of the stay-charged variety. However it does not say this on the pack or on the cells themselves. So I guess I've been caught out.

Thought it was too good to be true for £7.99

This is indeed the source of my problem. The LL P7 works fine with Hybrio stay-charged NiMH cells. The difficulty with the Duracell Accu NiMH cells is basically that they were not charged up.

Hello, for what they're worth, here are my observations re. LLP7.
    I own a P7 and P14.
    I have, at one time or another, ran both torches on primary's, NiMh and Lithiums ( NOT Li-Ion's ).
    The only effect i have noticed on Lithiums was that the P14 had an ever so slight bluish tint, wheras on primary's and NiMh cool white.
    P14 out throws P7 comfortably.
    Both have some artifacts on flood and spot.
    Runtime on NiMh about 1 hr, then rapid dimming. Primary similar but a much longer and more gradual dimming. Lithium about 3 hr then rapid dimming ( all for P7 ).
    P14 has similar characteristics but over a longer time.
    Build quality very good for both, but generally lighter duty compared to the likes of Fenix, Tiablo, Olight etc. etc.
    My P7 comfortably out throws my A9 Tiablo ( someone mentioned that earlier in the thread ), but not to say the P7 is a better torch
    Both torches on all battery configurations are easy to pick different output levels. ie; 130%-15%-100%
    Finish on both marks easier than anything else.
    I like both torches because they suit my purposes
    Cheers Harro.

I own a P7, you say that it has three levels? I must not be accessing all of them. I see high then low, but a third level?

Bill

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by harro View Post
    I own a P7 and P14.
    I have, at one time or another, ran both torches on primary's, NiMh and Lithiums ( NOT Li-Ion's ).
    The only effect i have noticed on Lithiums was that the P14 had an ever so slight bluish tint, wheras on primary's and NiMh cool white.
    P14 out throws P7 comfortably......

My P7 comfortably out throws my A9 Tiablo ( someone mentioned that earlier in the thread ), but not to say the P7 is a better torch
    Lithiums, seriously??
    I guess that the led will burn out pretty quickly...

Your P7 throws better than Tiablo A9?
    My Fenix TK20 throws almost the same as Led Lenser P7.
    Conclusion: Fenix TK20 throw is the same as with Tiablo A9.
    Really?

Quote Originally Posted by Bullzeyebill View Post
    I own a P7, you say that it has three levels? I must not be accessing all of them. I see high then low, but a third level
    The UI is: 130%(momentary only)-100%-15%-off

Thank you. I never noticed the difference between burst and high before, but now I do see it.

Bill

Your P7 throws better than Tiablo A9?
    My Fenix TK20 throws almost the same as Led Lenser P7.
    Conclusion: Fenix TK20 throw is the same as with Tiablo A9.
    Really
    ?

Yes!

Dont know about the TK20/A9 throw, havn't tried that one.

Cheers Harro.

Humble apologies for 130/15/100%. 130% level is indeed momentary with only 15/100% being fixed levels. I Stand Corrected.
    Cheers Harro.

Smile Re: LED Lenser (Coast) P7 REVIEW With Beamshots/Lux/Overall Output Readings

I am looking for a flashlight with a good throw. I have been recommend the led lenser mt7 or the eagle t20c markII. Can you recommended which one or another one?

Quote Originally Posted by berrybank View Post
    I am looking for a flashlight with a good throw. I have been recommend the led lenser mt7 or the eagle t20c markII. Can you recommended which one or another one?
    Different emitter options for the T20C2. For throw the XR-E R2 is the one to go for. Tried the XP-G in this light and it was not a good thrower.

Have not compared them with a LL P7 though.