PEAK
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's Up With This Fad Of Assault Crowns On Lights?

Default What's Up With This Fad Of Assault Crowns On Lights?

Lately I've noticed more and more assault crowns on lower end lights, to the point where one has to search out ones without. I've got no fantasies about whacking people with my flashlight, I just want to light my way.

So, I ask, what's up with the rash of flashlights as weapons?

Thanks.

Z.

Default Re: What's Up With This Fad Of Assault Crowns On Lights?

Have you watched the news lately?
    Fenix TK35 & 75 / Eagtac TX25C2/Jetbeam RRT-0/Fenix TK10 /Nitecore EC25/Olight S10/Photon Rexlight / ...and on and on!!

Quote Originally Posted by hivoltage View Post
    Have you watched the news lately?
    Um, I've read it. What's that have to due with flashlights?

The idea of using a flashlight as a self-defense weapon must be popular, or you wouldn't be seeing this trend. I can see how watching/reading the news leaves a lot of people feeling a little insecure. Also, some people probably think they look cool.
    "The profoundly wise do not declaim against superficial knowledge in others, as much as the profoundly ignorant."

Quote Originally Posted by Zatoichi View Post
    The idea of using a flashlight as a self-defense weapon must be popular, or you wouldn't be seeing this trend. I can see how watching/reading the news leaves a lot of people feeling a little insecure. Also, some people probably think they look cool.
    I totally agree on the watching too much news = paranoia, especially the particular flavor of US news which seems to always ask; will this happen to you?

That aside, I can't imagine that the majority of people who buy flashlights are thinking of using them as a weapon, but it seems that the majority of new lights that I'm seeing are designed as such.

Quote Originally Posted by Ziemas View Post
    I totally agree on the watching too much news = paranoia, especially the particular flavor of US news which seems to always ask; will this happen to you?

That aside, I can't imagine that the majority of people who buy flashlights are thinking of using them as a weapon, but it seems that the majority of new lights that I'm seeing are designed as such.
    Will it happen to me? Hmm good question. On the one hand I'd prefer to be prepared for anything, but on the other hand I don't wish to live my life in constant fear of being attacked by maniacs. My compromise is to always carry a decent light so I can see what I'm facing, but I don't actually own any lights with assault crowns. I'm more worried what they'd do to my pocket linings than excited about their offensive capabilities.

I agree most people don't buy flashlights as weapons, which is probably why I don't see them on the high street (I'm in the UK btw). I imagine they were initially aimed at people who might need them in a professional capacity, and later became popular with the public in the same way as military-style watches.
    "The profoundly wise do not declaim against superficial knowledge in others, as much as the profoundly ignorant."

Quote Originally Posted by Zatoichi View Post
    Will it happen to me? Hmm good question. On the one hand I'd prefer to be prepared for anything, but on the other hand I don't wish to live my life in constant fear of being attacked by maniacs. My compromise is to always carry a decent light so I can see what I'm facing, but I don't actually own any lights with assault crowns. I'm more worried what they'd do to my pocket linings than excited about their offensive capabilities.

I agree most people don't buy flashlights as weapons, which is probably why I don't see them on the high street (I'm in the UK btw). I imagine they were initially aimed at people who might need them in a professional capacity, and later became popular with the public in the same way as military-style watches.
    It sounds like we are of a similar mind on this. I use flashlights for cycling, and the last thing I need is sharp metal bouncing about if I crash.

I'm curious to see if there will be a US/Europe divide on the need and usefulness of them.
    BTW, I'm an American who has permanently immigrated to Europe, so I have a good understanding of both mindsets.

I really like having crenelations on my lights so I can see if the light is on when it's bezel down.

At the same time, I like look.
    EDC: Surefire e2l, Novatac P7/d2flex

Enlightened

It's all the violence on TV, video games, movies, etc...

Everyone wants to be an action hero in their own mind.

Cool "tactical stuff" sells.

Folks have this crazy picture in their heads about what they look like handeling and wearing all this gear. I guess they see themselves like a Rambo, a 007 Agent, or something.

I hear folks suggesting all these radical mods to different gear and tools, and have to wonder to myself..."How many folks have really looked the elephant in the eye, or have been placed in a situation that demanded them to look past their immediate, dangerous, surroundings - to a larger, grander, objective"? (Like soldiers, Peace Officers, Missionaries, or Firemen).

I just grin and smile when I read and see stuff like that.

America has become weak. Too many of us are really "couch potato hero's". We are "gangstah's & war hero's" in our own mind's because we play reality video and board games.

A sharp edge on the end of a torch is no match for a thinking, intelligent, human being that is determined to hurt you.

Forego the pointy-ended torch. Lose the belly. Discipline yourself, and mold your body and mind!

Ummm...sorry.

Kinda started to psycho-babble there. (It's a pet peeve of mine).

In Christ: Raymond

Quote Originally Posted by Ziemas View Post
    Lately I've noticed more and more assault crowns on lower end lights, to the point where one has to search out ones without. I've got no fantasies about whacking people with my flashlight, I just want to light my way.

So, I ask, what's up with the rash of flashlights as weapons?

Thanks.

Z.
    So one can attach the word "tactical" on it. Didn't you get the memo? Everything has to be tactical (or tacticool) nowadays. ;-)

Seriously though, I use my flashlight just as a light too. For self defense? That's where a gun (or knife) comes in. If I'm down to a flashlight in an encounter, something has gone terribly terribly wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by vb14 View Post
    Seriously though, I use my flashlight just as a light too. For self defense? That's where a gun (or knife) comes in. If I'm down to a flashlight in an encounter, something has gone terribly terribly wrong.
    Like, for example, you've recently moved to the UK where we're not allowed to carry so much as a toothpick for self-defence.

Flashaholic

Flashlights = Illumination
    Self defense = guns

Quote Originally Posted by pete55555 View Post
    Self defense = guns
    A BIG +1

Flashaholic*

The OP mentioned "low end" lights; all of these are Chinese made. The problem with Chinese websites (DX, KD, etc.) is alot of times with tanslation. They find a term that sells (like "assault crown") and run with it. They will describe a light with just "slight crenellations" as having an assault crown.

Imo, they are two different things with two different uses that different people might or might not find useful. I (like bluecrow) like "slight" crenellations on my lights for both reasons he mentioned.

I also like the stainless steel "strike bezel" (yet another term for assault crown, but imo is more appropriate) on my SolarForce L2 for it's aggressive looks. I'd probably never hit anyone with it, but it's nice to know that I could if I absolutely had to, plus it could be used to break a window in an emergency. I just wouldn't take it on a plane, but that's another thread.

As far as the whole idea of watching too much news = paranoia and wanting to be prepared to defend yourself, buy a shotgun (the best form of home defense) while you still can! Btw, I'm an American, whose second ammendment rights could end up being in jeopardy.
    I'd rather have a flashlight in front of me than a "frontal flashlightomy"!

If you have a flashlight with or without a strike bezel in your hand and an adversary of some type, could be a dog on one of your long walks or bike rides, attacks you, you can offer up a little protection for yourself.

In reality the attacker could hit you so fast that your knife or pistol may not be able to be presented in time and in your hand you hold a weapon or with a strike bezel an improved weapon for defense.

You will probably lash out at any adversary with whatever is in your hand and why not a strike bezel?

Have you ever been frightened by a friend or "loved one" for fun? You either scream and turn to run or you get in a fight posture and strike back. Fight or Flight.

Yes, the word tactical greatly increases the cost but it also offers up advantages for those of us who like the advantage and also for those of us that come from countries that are increasingly taking away our options for protecting ourselves.

I have a strong mind, and body and intend to use whatever options for protection are available because in the end we only have ourselves.

I appreciate this site and all of the smart, energetic, and critical thinkers who say that something can be made better or to call bull when some one lies and to look to advance something as simple as a flashlight to a viable offensive, state of the art weapon.

I have even encouraged many of the people I instruct to come here and join or just visit to gain knowledge and think outside the box.

Many of the good flashlights have removable strike bezels for those that do not want them.

I applaud those from this mainly civilian site (I think) that help those of us in law enforcement to do our jobs for you and go home each and every night to our families.

Do not stop the ideas that you think are bad, as lack of sales or capitalism will weed out the undesirable attributes by itself.

Always give your opinion but temper it with others point of view also.

Thank you.

I've never found the damn thing to be useful - having a sharp, unsheathed tool bouncing around loose in a pouch is a recipe for a ruined pouch and, as the cyclist noted, a good way to ruin your day if you happen to fall on it.

People also tend to label and file things without actually giving any thought - as in: "Wow, I feel insecure and afraid at night. I need a flashlight and a self-defense tool. Great, got one. Next item on the list: dinner. Boy am I hungry."

You'll note that nowhere in that sequence of thoughts is the question "how the hell do I use this?"

You might as well learn to use a mini-maglite body (or similar host) as a kubotan - you're less likely to shred your pockets, you might actually know something practical and you won't come across as a John J. Rambo wannabe.

-Trevor

Edit: And an overly judicious DA will have less ground to chew you up because you were carrying a weapon versus "an improvised defensive device."
    Last edited by TMedina; 12-06-2008 at 10:43 AM.
    "We canít just go with MBAV because itís out there and battle-proven." - Fred Coppola, deputy project manager for Soldier Protection and Individual Equipment

Purchase one with a removable strike bezel and take it off. Once again just because you do not like it doesn't mean it is not useful.

If you go out into the world looking to purposefully violate law you should be worried about the D.A.

Stop trying to scare people with the D.A. talk, yes you should decide if something is good for you or not and go from there.

I assure you I am not afraid of the dark and actually am more comfortable in it but so are those that are trying to hurt us.

If you protect yourself why do you have to worry about the D.A? Isn't it funny how the good worry and the bad do not.

Take responsibility for yourself and do what is correct for you. Do not force your opinion and limitations down my throat and that is the basis of freedom.

You can protect yourself or call a cop working at 3:00Am while you are in bed to protect you, either way all parties involved will need the means to do this.

I do not understand the name calling. I had hoped for logical reasoning and good discussion, I am sorry for your narrow view and limited ability to see both sides. I feel sorry for those that you are in charge of (if this is the case as you sound the tyrant)
    Last edited by Jeffa; 12-06-2008 at 11:04 AM.

^^^^

D.A? Huh? You lost me there......

EDIT: Never mind, I just saw what you are referring to.......

Sorry, I was referring to the post just above mine speaking of the District Attorney (DA)

Let me also clarify that a few of the strike bezels are purported to be glass breakers like the Pentagon with the retractable strike bezel. I am not sure if that was the main reason for such an aggressive style but I do agree that it will tear up pockets.

I do agree a bezel that a sharp bezel would be a bad idea in a pocket and may get you in trouble if used in any situation other than life threatening. I prefer bezels like those on the Olight M20 and the Fenix TK-11. I do not need my flashlight to cut a person. If it must be used in that manner but instead to stun.

The crenelated bezel is fine for my needs, but I am also not going to belittle someone for wanting something more aggressive.

I am not John J. Rambo, not even close, I just know what works for me and what I have used.
    Last edited by Jeffa; 12-06-2008 at 11:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffa View Post

If you protect yourself why do you have to worry about the D.A? Isn't it funny how the good worry and the bad do not.
    In the UK, it wouldn't surprise me if people carried these thinking they were legal self-defense weapons. The truth is, if you used one in self-defense you could end up having to convince a magistrate that you were not carrying it for that reason (or admitting you were, and facing the music).

When push comes to shove, I agree with you that it may seem worth facing charges for carrying and using an offensive weapon, that's a choice you have, but there's also nothing wrong with someone pointing out the possible consequences.

What about a set of car keys in your pocket? They can be used to ram in an attackers eye but that does not make them an illegal weapon.

I am real tired of the bad guys having rights and the good guys losing the rights to defend themselves.
    Fenix TK35 & 75 / Eagtac TX25C2/Jetbeam RRT-0/Fenix TK10 /Nitecore EC25/Olight S10/Photon Rexlight / ...and on and on!!

I don't really care one way or another, so long as the metal is clean and not too sharp or obtrusive.
    CLICK HERE for my flashlight reviews.
    PAUL KIM... AN INDUSTRY GENIUS

In untrained hands, even a GUN isn't a guarantee of safety, let alone a flashlight. It could even interfere with a natural instict because of some increased level of confidence.

When a light could MAYBE come in handy is BEFORE the actual s@#$ hits the actual fan . . . . like someone quickly crossing the street right at you, etc. Even if you're not shining it in someone's face, a light is a distraction and most thieve's worst enemy . . . an attention getter.

Anyway, I'm glad to finally see someone attacking strike bezels for once. Usually it's the poor strobe and/or sos. I'm not against any of it . . . why would I be? I'm just saying . . .

Quote Originally Posted by bluecrow76 View Post
    I really like having crenelations on my lights so I can see if the light is on when it's bezel down.
    +1

I don't like big crenelations though unless it's on a turbohead like the KT4.

Quote Originally Posted by hivoltage View Post
    What about a set of car keys in your pocket? They can be used to ram in an attackers eye but that does not make them an illegal weapon.
    Technically, if you carry them for that purpose, they are an illegal weapon. I think you're pretty safe with car keys though.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by pete55555 View Post
    Self defense = guns
    But its best to be prepared for anything:

Light is the activity of what is transparent - Aristotle

Flashaholic

I'm new to CPF so there's a lot I still don't understand about flashlights. Thanks to a lot of great people here I am learning and getting a few great flashlights in the process. It just so happens that the flashlights I have gotten have strike bezels. I know what they can be used for but it has never been a consideration in my purchase. If I am attacked and the only thing I have is my flashlight, I'm going to hit them with it. Doesn't make a difference to me if it's my m20 or a plastic flashlight I found at the local store.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by cave dave View Post
    But its best to be prepared for anything:

Nice photoshopping, Dave! I especially like the "hood ornament"!
    Oh, and just noticd the car keys (for eye gouging)!
    Last edited by naked2; 12-06-2008 at 01:19 PM. Reason: Noticed eye-gouging weapon!
    I'd rather have a flashlight in front of me than a "frontal flashlightomy"!

Use your light as a fist pack, it will add weight for extra oomph in your hits and will make your fist "harder" trust me ive tried it and it works well, I also work out though so just the flashlight isnt gonna do much with out alot of force behind it
    Excellent Customer Service and Outstanding Lights
    To Find Nemo Is To Find No One. But You Have Found Nemo, So One Must Ask.....Who Is Nemo After All?

In the UK, it wouldn't surprise me if people carried these thinking they were legal self-defense weapons.
    There is not such thing as a "legal self-defense weapon"
    I was cautioned by the Police for carrying a plastic kubotan
    With a "UK mind-set" if you can carry a Light with an "assault crown"
    you might as well carry something more effective instead.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast