What's Up With This Fad Of Assault Crowns On Lights?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ziemas

Enlightened
Lately I've noticed more and more assault crowns on lower end lights, to the point where one has to search out ones without. I've got no fantasies about whacking people with my flashlight, I just want to light my way.

So, I ask, what's up with the rash of flashlights as weapons?

Thanks.

Z.

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast
The idea of using a flashlight as a self-defense weapon must be popular, or you wouldn't be seeing this trend. I can see how watching/reading the news leaves a lot of people feeling a little insecure. Also, some people probably think they look cool.

Ziemas

Enlightened
The idea of using a flashlight as a self-defense weapon must be popular, or you wouldn't be seeing this trend. I can see how watching/reading the news leaves a lot of people feeling a little insecure. Also, some people probably think they look cool.
I totally agree on the watching too much news = paranoia, especially the particular flavor of US news which seems to always ask; will this happen to you?

That aside, I can't imagine that the majority of people who buy flashlights are thinking of using them as a weapon, but it seems that the majority of new lights that I'm seeing are designed as such.

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I totally agree on the watching too much news = paranoia, especially the particular flavor of US news which seems to always ask; will this happen to you?

That aside, I can't imagine that the majority of people who buy flashlights are thinking of using them as a weapon, but it seems that the majority of new lights that I'm seeing are designed as such.

Will it happen to me? Hmm good question. On the one hand I'd prefer to be prepared for anything, but on the other hand I don't wish to live my life in constant fear of being attacked by maniacs. My compromise is to always carry a decent light so I can see what I'm facing, but I don't actually own any lights with assault crowns. I'm more worried what they'd do to my pocket linings than excited about their offensive capabilities.

I agree most people don't buy flashlights as weapons, which is probably why I don't see them on the high street (I'm in the UK btw). I imagine they were initially aimed at people who might need them in a professional capacity, and later became popular with the public in the same way as military-style watches.

Ziemas

Enlightened
Will it happen to me? Hmm good question. On the one hand I'd prefer to be prepared for anything, but on the other hand I don't wish to live my life in constant fear of being attacked by maniacs. My compromise is to always carry a decent light so I can see what I'm facing, but I don't actually own any lights with assault crowns. I'm more worried what they'd do to my pocket linings than excited about their offensive capabilities.

I agree most people don't buy flashlights as weapons, which is probably why I don't see them on the high street (I'm in the UK btw). I imagine they were initially aimed at people who might need them in a professional capacity, and later became popular with the public in the same way as military-style watches.
It sounds like we are of a similar mind on this. I use flashlights for cycling, and the last thing I need is sharp metal bouncing about if I crash.

I'm curious to see if there will be a US/Europe divide on the need and usefulness of them.
BTW, I'm an American who has permanently immigrated to Europe, so I have a good understanding of both mindsets.

bluecrow76

Enlightened
I really like having crenelations on my lights so I can see if the light is on when it's bezel down.

At the same time, I like look.

RaymondMillbrae

Newly Enlightened
It's all the violence on TV, video games, movies, etc...

Everyone wants to be an action hero in their own mind.

Cool "tactical stuff" sells.

Folks have this crazy picture in their heads about what they look like handeling and wearing all this gear. I guess they see themselves like a Rambo, a 007 Agent, or something.

I hear folks suggesting all these radical mods to different gear and tools, and have to wonder to myself..."How many folks have really looked the elephant in the eye, or have been placed in a situation that demanded them to look past their immediate, dangerous, surroundings - to a larger, grander, objective"? (Like soldiers, Peace Officers, Missionaries, or Firemen).

I just grin and smile when I read and see stuff like that.

t175822357.bmp

America has become weak. Too many of us are really "couch potato hero's". We are "gangstah's & war hero's" in our own mind's because we play reality video and board games.

A sharp edge on the end of a torch is no match for a thinking, intelligent, human being that is determined to hurt you.

Forego the pointy-ended torch. Lose the belly. Discipline yourself, and mold your body and mind!

Ummm...sorry.

Kinda started to psycho-babble there. (It's a pet peeve of mine).

In Christ: Raymond

vb14

Newly Enlightened
Lately I've noticed more and more assault crowns on lower end lights, to the point where one has to search out ones without. I've got no fantasies about whacking people with my flashlight, I just want to light my way.

So, I ask, what's up with the rash of flashlights as weapons?

Thanks.

Z.

So one can attach the word "tactical" on it. Didn't you get the memo? Everything has to be tactical (or tacticool) nowadays. ;-)

Seriously though, I use my flashlight just as a light too. For self defense? That's where a gun (or knife) comes in. If I'm down to a flashlight in an encounter, something has gone terribly terribly wrong.

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seriously though, I use my flashlight just as a light too. For self defense? That's where a gun (or knife) comes in. If I'm down to a flashlight in an encounter, something has gone terribly terribly wrong.

Like, for example, you've recently moved to the UK where we're not allowed to carry so much as a toothpick for self-defence.

naked2

Enlightened
The OP mentioned "low end" lights; all of these are Chinese made. The problem with Chinese websites (DX, KD, etc.) is alot of times with tanslation. They find a term that sells (like "assault crown") and run with it. They will describe a light with just "slight crenellations" as having an assault crown.

Imo, they are two different things with two different uses that different people might or might not find useful. I (like bluecrow) like "slight" crenellations on my lights for both reasons he mentioned.

I also like the stainless steel "strike bezel" (yet another term for assault crown, but imo is more appropriate) on my SolarForce L2 for it's aggressive looks. I'd probably never hit anyone with it, but it's nice to know that I could if I absolutely had to, plus it could be used to break a window in an emergency. I just wouldn't take it on a plane, but that's another thread.

As far as the whole idea of watching too much news = paranoia and wanting to be prepared to defend yourself, buy a shotgun (the best form of home defense) while you still can! Btw, I'm an American, whose second ammendment rights could end up being in jeopardy.

Jeffa

Newly Enlightened
If you have a flashlight with or without a strike bezel in your hand and an adversary of some type, could be a dog on one of your long walks or bike rides, attacks you, you can offer up a little protection for yourself.

In reality the attacker could hit you so fast that your knife or pistol may not be able to be presented in time and in your hand you hold a weapon or with a strike bezel an improved weapon for defense.

You will probably lash out at any adversary with whatever is in your hand and why not a strike bezel?

Have you ever been frightened by a friend or "loved one" for fun? You either scream and turn to run or you get in a fight posture and strike back. Fight or Flight.

Yes, the word tactical greatly increases the cost but it also offers up advantages for those of us who like the advantage and also for those of us that come from countries that are increasingly taking away our options for protecting ourselves.

I have a strong mind, and body and intend to use whatever options for protection are available because in the end we only have ourselves.

I appreciate this site and all of the smart, energetic, and critical thinkers who say that something can be made better or to call bull when some one lies and to look to advance something as simple as a flashlight to a viable offensive, state of the art weapon.

I have even encouraged many of the people I instruct to come here and join or just visit to gain knowledge and think outside the box.

Many of the good flashlights have removable strike bezels for those that do not want them.

I applaud those from this mainly civilian site (I think) that help those of us in law enforcement to do our jobs for you and go home each and every night to our families.

Do not stop the ideas that you think are bad, as lack of sales or capitalism will weed out the undesirable attributes by itself.

Always give your opinion but temper it with others point of view also.

Thank you.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never found the damn thing to be useful - having a sharp, unsheathed tool bouncing around loose in a pouch is a recipe for a ruined pouch and, as the cyclist noted, a good way to ruin your day if you happen to fall on it.

People also tend to label and file things without actually giving any thought - as in: "Wow, I feel insecure and afraid at night. I need a flashlight and a self-defense tool. Great, got one. Next item on the list: dinner. Boy am I hungry."

You'll note that nowhere in that sequence of thoughts is the question "how the hell do I use this?"

You might as well learn to use a mini-maglite body (or similar host) as a kubotan - you're less likely to shred your pockets, you might actually know something practical and you won't come across as a John J. Rambo wannabe.

-Trevor

Edit: And an overly judicious DA will have less ground to chew you up because you were carrying a weapon versus "an improvised defensive device."

Last edited:

Jeffa

Newly Enlightened
Purchase one with a removable strike bezel and take it off. Once again just because you do not like it doesn't mean it is not useful.

If you go out into the world looking to purposefully violate law you should be worried about the D.A.

Stop trying to scare people with the D.A. talk, yes you should decide if something is good for you or not and go from there.

I assure you I am not afraid of the dark and actually am more comfortable in it but so are those that are trying to hurt us.

If you protect yourself why do you have to worry about the D.A? Isn't it funny how the good worry and the bad do not.

Take responsibility for yourself and do what is correct for you. Do not force your opinion and limitations down my throat and that is the basis of freedom.

You can protect yourself or call a cop working at 3:00Am while you are in bed to protect you, either way all parties involved will need the means to do this.

I do not understand the name calling. I had hoped for logical reasoning and good discussion, I am sorry for your narrow view and limited ability to see both sides. I feel sorry for those that you are in charge of (if this is the case as you sound the tyrant)

Last edited:

Ziemas

Enlightened
^^^^

D.A? Huh? You lost me there......

EDIT: Never mind, I just saw what you are referring to.......

Jeffa

Newly Enlightened
Sorry, I was referring to the post just above mine speaking of the District Attorney (DA)

Let me also clarify that a few of the strike bezels are purported to be glass breakers like the Pentagon with the retractable strike bezel. I am not sure if that was the main reason for such an aggressive style but I do agree that it will tear up pockets.

I do agree a bezel that a sharp bezel would be a bad idea in a pocket and may get you in trouble if used in any situation other than life threatening. I prefer bezels like those on the Olight M20 and the Fenix TK-11. I do not need my flashlight to cut a person. If it must be used in that manner but instead to stun.

The crenelated bezel is fine for my needs, but I am also not going to belittle someone for wanting something more aggressive.

I am not John J. Rambo, not even close, I just know what works for me and what I have used.

Last edited:

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you protect yourself why do you have to worry about the D.A? Isn't it funny how the good worry and the bad do not.

In the UK, it wouldn't surprise me if people carried these thinking they were legal self-defense weapons. The truth is, if you used one in self-defense you could end up having to convince a magistrate that you were not carrying it for that reason (or admitting you were, and facing the music).

When push comes to shove, I agree with you that it may seem worth facing charges for carrying and using an offensive weapon, that's a choice you have, but there's also nothing wrong with someone pointing out the possible consequences.

Status
Not open for further replies.