It's cold here in Kansas now. Because of the cold, hands get kind of dry. Because hands get dry, it's hard to grip just about anything that's even slightly polished/smooth.
I got my LD01 SS yesterday and absolutely love this light. The head turns very easy, but not easy enough with my dry hands to make one handed operation consistent because the checkering is polished and smooth. So today I decided to do something about it. My main concern was to keep the good looks of the light intact. This means not putting any rubber grips, o-rings, or anything else that changes the overall look of the light.
I thought I could use my Dremel with a carbide bit to increase the depth and width of the grooves in the checkering on the head. This proved to be too difficult because of the very close distance of the grooves and their minuscule size. So I used a triangle shaped needle file to do this instead. It took about an hour to accomplish and the light looks didn't change noticeably.
I can turn the head easily now without fail because of the fresh edges created by filing the grooves out. Yeah, I know I went past the checkering onto the body in a couple of places and some of the grooves aren't lined up perfectly, but I didn't buy the light for a shelf queen. And there isn't some gaudy rubber covering my light either, since that's something I can't stand.
The first two photos are before and the last two after the filing.