Improved the grip on my LD01 SS *without* changing the look

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's cold here in Kansas now. Because of the cold, hands get kind of dry. Because hands get dry, it's hard to grip just about anything that's even slightly polished/smooth.

I got my LD01 SS yesterday and absolutely love this light. The head turns very easy, but not easy enough with my dry hands to make one handed operation consistent because the checkering is polished and smooth. So today I decided to do something about it. My main concern was to keep the good looks of the light intact. This means not putting any rubber grips, o-rings, or anything else that changes the overall look of the light.

I thought I could use my Dremel with a carbide bit to increase the depth and width of the grooves in the checkering on the head. This proved to be too difficult because of the very close distance of the grooves and their minuscule size. So I used a triangle shaped needle file to do this instead. It took about an hour to accomplish and the light looks didn't change noticeably.

I can turn the head easily now without fail because of the fresh edges created by filing the grooves out. Yeah, I know I went past the checkering onto the body in a couple of places and some of the grooves aren't lined up perfectly, but I didn't buy the light for a shelf queen. And there isn't some gaudy rubber covering my light either, since that's something I can't stand.

The first two photos are before and the last two after the filing.

FenixLD01SS07rs.jpg

FenixLD01SS02ars.jpg

FenixLD01SS05ars.jpg

FenixLD01SS11rs.jpg

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not a bad idea at all. Now that I've used the BitZ I have a hard time with twisty lights that don't operate really nice. Maybe you didn't notice my "Winterizing" I posted over in the marketplace thread... or maybe you did? Not the thing to do to a nice SS light, it's not pretty or as well integrated as yours, but it is reversible. I just though I would see if I could make a few people :barf:

ld01sswinterized1pt8.jpg

Magnus1959

Newly Enlightened
Nice idea! I live in central Kansas myself and it does get cold.

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice file work.

Thanks!

Not a bad idea at all. Now that I've used the BitZ I have a hard time with twisty lights that don't operate really nice. Maybe you didn't notice my "Winterizing" I posted over in the marketplace thread... or maybe you did? Not the thing to do to a nice SS light, it's not pretty or as well integrated as yours, but it is reversible. I just though I would see if I could make a few people :barf:

Actually I did see that! Those types of mods aren't for me. I like to try and keep my light looking as close as possible to stock, but with added grip. But to each his own!

Oh yeah :barf:

Just kidding

Nice idea! I live in central Kansas myself and it does get cold.

Thanks! It wasn't too cold today, but every winter I get really dry hands and it makes it nearly impossible to operate twisty lights one handed no matter how easy they turn.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey I'm having a hard time holding it in myself... just playing around... It works fantastic but really defeats the purpose of buying a nice SS light. I might look at doing a srvctec style mod, but I'd need to stick with the dremel, not enough patients right now for the file. I am debating though an Aeon for the keychain. I think I'm going to....:green:

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey I'm having a hard time holding it in myself... just playing around... It works fantastic but really defeats the purpose of buying a nice SS light. I might look at doing a srvctec style mod, but I'd need to stick with the dremel, not enough patients right now for the file. I am debating though an Aeon for the keychain. I think I'm going to....:green:

If thinking about the Aeon, check my thread here:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2736983#post2736983

I compare the Aeon to the LD01-SS!:party:

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
If thinking about the Aeon, check my thread here...

That probably should have been a pm instead of a post in this thread. :candle:

Well, since this thread is kind of headed off track, I'll try to steer it back in the right direction. :whistle:

I've been using my improved grip version of the LD01 SS for about a week now and use it way more often than I did my previous keychain light (Peak Matterhorn 3 LED single aaa) since it turned so hard. All in all, I'd do this on every one of these if I were to purchase more than one- it's many times better than stock.

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well it did change the look a little bit... NO offense but now it looks hacked. I would have used some sort of grip instead and not kill the nice factory knurling, but that's just me, to each his own..

kts

Enlightened
Too bad, you cut too deep through the knurling :duh2:

The bezel got several "cuts" too I see, I would never try something like that.

BTW. Im a blacksmith, working with steel every day.

Last edited:

Latest posts