A challenge for a recommendation

Socrates67

Newly Enlightened
I have am searching for a flashlight "solution", and it presents certain "challenges".

Background: I have worked in contract security for over 20 years and I have used many cheap flashlights. They all failed quickly due to the hazards of the job, they just could not take a beating, except for Maglites. We once had a Mag-Charger that was tough as nails but too big and heavy. When I did not have that and used other cheap lights (this was all back in the 80s and 90's before modern LEDs) I relied on my Mini-Mags because they were so reliable (relatively speaking).

So getting back into security again after a hiatus a few years ago I bought a 3-C Maglite for work (I wanted something lighter than a Mag-Charger). Tough, as expected, I have dropped this things dozens of times on concrete and it still works great. But it is nowhere bright enough for the job(by the way, what IS the output of a Mag 3-C ican?), nor do the batteries last long enough. I am also restricted now by new regulations that prevent me from using anything larger than a 3-D (liability reasons should I clunk a suspect on the head with one).

Lastly, I don't have a lot of money. $30 price limit (I'm a security guard, remember? As the saying goes: "We pretend to work, they pretend to pay us")

PROBLEM: What do I do?

1) Maglite factory LED upgrade? What are the Lumens and battery life for a 3-C?
2) Nite-Ize drop in LED? Again, Lumens and battery life?
3) Buy a Task-Force 60X Brighter 150 Lumen 2C Cree LED at Loews? (I like that it takes common Cs and it fits my hand. Battery life?)
4) TerraLux drop in?
5) Luxeon K2 drop in?

In short, I'm looking for:
a) Indestructable
b) Under $30
c) 100 Lumens minimum
d) Long battery life (at least 10 hours, preferably 20).

The challenge has been laid down, I thank you all.

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Terralux drop-in in a 3 x C cell Mag and it's pretty decent. It's not mind blowing compared to some Mag upgrades I've seen, but a good, simple upgrade for the price.

Edit: Correction, I have a Terralux drop-in in my 4D mag, and a 3watt Diamond drop-in in my 3C mag. Still both cheap and decent.

Last edited:

Juggernaut

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Taskforce should be about the same in brightness if not more then the TerraLUX, It's run time is about 6 hours and 2.5 of regulated output. In less I have some sort of magical one, mine has survived over 9 months of EDCing and I have dropped it many, many times:rolleyes:. Some times the light starts to flicker faintly when I use it with c batteries though it never does this with 18650's:shrug:. I would suggest using 6 ah NiMH rechargeable batteries since they give you the same run time, flatter out put, and a brighter light that should easily surpass the TerraLux:twothumbs, all the time being cheaper since you don't have to replace batteries;).

kramer5150

Flashaholic
The Taskforce should be about the same in brightness if not more then the TerraLUX, It's run time is about 6 hours and 2.5 of regulated output. In less I have some sort of magical one, mine has survived over 9 months of EDCing and I have dropped it many, many times:rolleyes:. Some times the light starts to flicker faintly when I use it with c batteries though it never does this with 18650's:shrug:. I would suggest using 6 ah NiMH rechargeable batteries since they give you the same run time, flatter out put, and a brighter light that should easily surpass the TerraLux:twothumbs, all the time being cheaper since you don't have to replace batteries;).

x2 on the Lowes TF, although a 2xNiMH + charger setup will take you over the $50 mark. The TF is NOT waterproof, although it will do just fine in a light rain. It does not meet your 10 hour requirement (by a long shot).

Hmm... 10H/100L/$30/small-ish form with some degree of reliability. I can't think of anything that meets those requirements, without some degree of sacrifice.

I wouldn't consider a 2D light enough for rigorous belt carry.

Last edited:

VegasF6

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would the KD Q5 drop in be a viable option? I tried to find some threads about using it with the stock reflector, but there seems to be very little posted about it (though I didn't check the marketplace.)

It's only $20 bucks, I haven't tried it personally though.

Are you willing to do any sort of modding? I am thinking the KD drop in, remove your stock reflector and cut the cam off, and perhaps a "stipple" job with some clear spray paint.

The drop in is discussed in this thread, though that is being tested with an aspherical lens, which is optional, and not what I am recomending.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/202045

I don't know about posting a link directly to the product from here, so you may have to search for it, or PM me.

I wish I could tell you if it is brighter than the Terralux mentioned here, but I am afraid I don't know. Anyone chime in on that?

Here is one thread that discusses stippling your reflector, especially starting from post #15 on:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2445095

*edit* Doh, I forgot you are looking for a C-cell solution, the one I provided was for a D.

Last edited:

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
actually i was thinking of a 2D cell mag, even their standard LED drop in provides more light than the standard incandescent bulb that comes with it and it will last pretty long.

I have one of the standard drop ins on a 3D and its actually a light that i would rely on as i havent changed the primary energizer D cells for months and that light is used everyday by my dad (not for all taht long but its still used everyday) and it's still very bright.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
The M@g 3 cell incan is 33 lumens.
3D Runtime 50% at 1 hour 2 minute
http://flashlightreviews.com/reviews/maglite_3d.htm

The M@gLED 3D is 66 lumens dropping to 33 after 10-15 minutes of continuous running.
3D Runtime 50% at 22 hour 50 minute
http://flashlightreviews.com/reviews/maglite_mag-led.htm

I expect C cell brightness to be the same as the D cell but runtime to be halved.

The Terralux previously mentioned is twice as bright as the 3 cell M@gLED module with a similar runtime.

-----

The guy is in security. His life may depend on it. I would not trust anything from DX or KD if my life may depend on it.
Walking the dog yes. Security no.
Would the KD Q5 drop in be a viable option?

Last edited:

djblank87

Enlightened
The solution is to save $20.00 a paycheck for the next five to six pay periods and then you will have numerous options.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
The solution is to save $20.00 a paycheck for the next five to six pay periods and then you will have numerous options.

Even at $50, 10 Hours / 100+ honest Lumens, I still can't think of any. If you add reliability and a small-ish format... I still come up with none.:sigh:

A Malkoff M60L in a 6P comes close to all those criteria with primary cells, but doesn't quite make the 10 hour mark.

Last edited:

LED_astray

Newly Enlightened
$30 isn't much for a everyday professional duty light. I suggest thinking about a "plan" instead of a "solution". That way you can take into account additional factors, e.g. are you purchasing C cells now or are they provided to you?

I specifically think of your battery source because that could be an on going expense where you could save. I would want rechargeable batteries in your shoes. NiMH C or D cells or battery holders with AA cells are two "easy" solutions. (Lithium Ion cells are a higher cost, higher performance, and higher maintenance. You'd need to educate yourself, but lots of good threads on the topic here.)

I think a good place to end up would be a 2D MagLite with eneloops, a 6AA holders, and a Malkoff LED insert. (Others might be 3D, w/D cell NiMH, or your 3C w/C cell NiMH batteries.)

Possible steps would be to grab a 2D or 3D MagLite LED light while Lowe's still has them on sale. (See: http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=185859) Or grab a MagLite 3C/3D LED module on the Marketplace. (I've seen "takeouts" cheap there recently.) That gets you your body of choice with a more efficient brighter emitter module. (It'll save a little in your battery budget too.) Then work on your rechargeable battery solution. (I'd like a couple FiveMega 6AA in 2D holders, eneloops, and a pack charger. Pricey, but oh so nice. MDOCOD's holders are more economical, but won't be as easy to recharge. Oh course, you have your own plan and should work towards that.) Then with batteries covered, I'd (try to) be disciplined and save up my operating savings to get the more durable Malkoff dropin module as soon as I could.

[Add:] Oops, I got excited about the 6AA in 2D solution (which I'd prefer) and didn't think to mention that would require a 6C/6D compatible emitter module. You'd need four dummy cells to use only 2AA's while you're in transition. Awkward. Depending on your time frame it might be acceptable to get the AA eneloops, charger, and 1AA in 1D holders and use that for a while. (Runtime wouldn't be great, but for a short while...?) Sorry.

Good luck & have fun with your shopping!

Last edited:

Juggernaut

Flashlight Enthusiast
Even at $50, 10 Hours / 100+ honest Lumens, I still can't think of any. If you add reliability and a small-ish format... I still come up with none.:sigh:

A Malkoff M60L in a 6P comes close to all those criteria with primary cells, but doesn't quite make the 10 hour mark.

Well for 10 hours 100 lumens and less then 50 bucks. Again I resort to Bigbeams to find a light that can accomplish odd lights requirement. $35 for the 266 light, running off a 6 watt 4547 bulb "should give more lumens then a 6D Maglite, say about 115 honest lumens, not their 235 advertised ones:rolleyes:, though they are hard to find for less then $25 though I'm sure you can get one for $15 somewhere:confused:" for 11 hours running on 2x 4F batteries. This the only way I can think of that would work:thinking::shrug::thumbsup:, even if it's quite impractical for various reasons:mecry:.

Gunner12

Flashaholic

In short, I'm looking for:
a) Indestructible
b) Under $30
c) 100 Lumens minimum
d) Long battery life (at least 10 hours, preferably 20).

The challenge has been laid down, I thank you all.
You'll probably have to drop one of those requirements.

a, c, and d are easily achievable(not literally indestructible but pretty tough), but at under $30? I'm not sure.

A MagLED drop-in with a Seoul LED swap should give over 100 lumen for the first couple of minutes before the heat causes output to drop to around 70 lumen(guesstimate numbers). That is presuming that you are willing to modify the stock drop-in(swap the old LED for a newer one). Runtime should be around 10 hours after it drops in output.

:welcome: