Best place to buy button batteries?

kwando

Newly Enlightened
Is there a place online that is the cheapest to purchase button style batteries?

Thanks in advance.

RichM

Newly Enlightened

gchand

Newly Enlightened
Take a look at Batterybob.com - I have purchased several orders from him, the stock is
fresh, and postage is generally free.

I have not had much luck with Dealextreme, Kaidomain, or equivalent overseas vendors WRT
battery freshness and life. Also, note the difference between alkaline cells from the overseas
vendors and the silver oxide cells that Batterybob carries.

George

Last edited:

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
MEC in Vancouver BC sells CR2032 for $0.50 each.
Must be a local thing.

They are shown as $1.25 each on their web site.

MEC is where I go to get CR2016 and CR2032 cells....cheapest place the get them at retail here.

Last edited:

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're looking for CR2016's you can't do much better than this (20 batteries for $4.58 - $0.229 each with 10 carrying cases and LED's.)
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1100
Not sure about DX's CR2016s. Plenty of people have reported receiving many (or most) of them dead on arrival.
CR2032s seem to be fine. I ordered a pack of them and they're all 100% ok.

How about ten-packs of fauxtons from DX? With each fauxton you get two CR2016s and a white LED and key ring as a freebies :p

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
are button sized the same size as coin sized?
I thought button meant like AG3 AG13 etc... not 2016 etc?

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
You may be right. DX has a 100-pack of AG13s on sale for pennies. Not sure about the quality, or how many you can expect to survive the trip.

RichM

Newly Enlightened
Not sure about DX's CR2016s. Plenty of people have reported receiving many (or most) of them dead on arrival.
CR2032s seem to be fine. I ordered a pack of them and they're all 100% ok.

How about ten-packs of fauxtons from DX? With each fauxton you get two CR2016s and a white LED and key ring as a freebies :p

Did you click on that link? :)

Oznog

Enlightened
Coin cells= lithium (2016,2032, etc)
Button cell= alkaline, silver, etc (A76, LR44, etc)

DX CR2016 are crap... I mean worthless. Got a bunch to try (they were cheap and I had low expectations). Many were completely dead. Others showed full voltage but did not have enough current capacity to drive an LED keychain flashlight (Microlight) to proper intensity. And it dimmed quickly. I did not find a single useable cell in the lot.

Digikey (or Mouser) is the way to go. Note they specify mAH capacity too and it's easy to find some high-performance batts there. You will get guarateed consistency. They're not expensive either. Well, since DX gave me zero usable cells the cost per useable cell was infinity.

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
DX CR2016 are crap... I mean worthless. Got a bunch to try (they were cheap and I had low expectations). Many were completely dead. Others showed full voltage but did not have enough current capacity to drive an LED keychain flashlight (Microlight) to proper intensity. And it dimmed quickly. I did not find a single useable cell in the lot.
Which is why it was suggested that you not buy the bare cells but a ten-pack of fauxtons. They act like solid plastic casings for the batteries (so they don't pop out of the blister and short out on each other) and they give you a free LED every two cells :p

ltiu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the link.

MEC are normally very accurate with product photos and descriptions.

Seems odd for them to show a picture of a Lijia (never heard of them) battery and say it's a Rayovac cell.

... and here's the weird thing:

The blister packaging says "OmniEnergy". The battery says "Lijia" and the website says "Rayovac".

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
FWIW I bought a pack of 2032 from DX and they are fine, from the comments seems they improved quality recently.

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got the feeling that the CR2032 cells are fine - possibly due to thicker packaging and/or heavier weight - but the CR2016s are a disaster.

Hardtec2012

Newly Enlightened
I learnt something really useful about CR2016 CR2032 button cells - the numbers are actually the dimensions, so the bigger numbers would have larger capacity - so sometimes you can swap out for a larger capacity battery and get longer runtime.
For example, CR2016 is 20 = 2 cm diameter 16 = 1.6 mm thick
Same goes for the rechargable lithium button cells LIR2032 etc.