Binned Luxeons NOW available from Future ! ! !

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's right folks! I called Future today and found out that you can now request your favorite bin code when ordering Luxeons!

To qualify, you only need to order $10,000 worth...

That's too much you say? Well then you can just bend over and accept the manufacturer's rejects that they return to Future. The rejects are sold out of a bin called "open reel". ENJOY ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

When I protested that this was unfair to smaller business, it was pointed out to me that the rejects have to be dumped on someone.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

The good news is that I now know why I can't get good Luxeons through Future, so I can stop trying and save my hard earned money for other things.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

No wonder... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

BOHICA!!!

Future sucks!!! I think it's time for all the CPF members to gang up on Future...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Yes, Future will now accept Bin Code requests for 1W Luxeons. And you only have to buy a reel (of 250 x $8.70 plus shipping). And another problem is you only get to specify the FIRST digit. So you could request a "Q", and indeed you would get "Q's" all right, but they might be Qxx, if you know what I mean. Like Q1Z...worst case, of course.

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Slick, don't dispair. Once you front the money for $10000 worth of bin R3G whites, everyone here will be your friend.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mr Bulk

I've just got to say it. Every time I look at the picture under your name, I think of visiting the dentist.

I know that that white thing is multiple beams of light from SN2s, but to me it looks like a tooth brush. If I shine my SN2 in my mouth each night will it whiten my teeth? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

P.S. Have a fun trip!

Abe Furburger

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Paul_W said:
Mr Bulk

I've just got to say it. Every time I look at the picture under your name, I think of visiting the dentist.

I know that that white thing is multiple beams of light from SN2s, but to me it looks like a tooth brush. If I shine my SN2 in my mouth each night will it whiten my teeth? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

P.S. Have a fun trip!

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that what it is !!!

I always though it was a corrugated iron roof for a veranda.

Abe

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
i had suspected this was the case /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

i'm surprised to hear it is $8.7x250 for binned...when i order small quantities of less than 10, it is less than 8 a piece...

are we able to specify r?
heck...i'd even settle for an r.5j /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess it's the extra charge for knowing just about everybody's going to order nothing but Qs and Rs...

ledlurker

Enlightened
I do not think there are that many X, Y or Z binned luxeons made. I bet the manufacturing process of 1 and 5 Watt Luxeons result in a normal distribution output with 6 sigma of variablity or something like that. If the manufacturer could build x,y or Z L.E.D's all of the time they might not want to even mess with the U grade.

Lets see: pull out the old ASQ (American Society for Quality) specs or can be found in a basic Statistics book>>>

A normal distribution curve ( Bell curve) has these properties.

+/- 1 sigma contains 68.26% of the population
+/- 2 sigma contains 95.44% ( an additional 27.18 % beyond 1 sigma.
+/- 3 sigma contains 99.73% ( an additional 4.29% beyond 2 sigma

Now hypothetically lets say the 5 W bin codes are exactly lined up with with the normal curve(Bin U = 1 sigma, V=2 sigma and etc) and you manufacured only 100 a day (makes the math simple to understand

68 of them would be of Bin U
27 of them would be of Bin V
5 of them could be of Bin W ( I was generous with rounding

There is a remaining 0.27% (even more sigmas beyond) chance of making and X, Y, or Z ( about 4 days of production to make just one)

Who knows the curve could be broader or narrower or its process capability could be skewed. I am not going into a detail statistics course here. I serously doubt that the manufacturer is spitting out thousands of X bin luxeons a day.

Here is a survey. How many people on this forum have been able to even get there hands on a X bin.

Mr. Bulk can only get a few W2 bins at a time, and he probably pays more than the standard $23 each

ledlurker

Enlightened
BTW most people think the Mil-Spec EEE parts are made on special manufacturing line. In most cases they are made on the exact same factory as the other non Mil-Spec parts. Most Mil Spec parts just go through additional inspections, testing and screening to a A Mil-Std specification. In limited case a special manufacturing line is assembles or the design is changed when the variability in the process can not make what is needed.

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess that I should admit that I pretty much "baited" the response. In speaking of this practice, I did it in a way that sounded like I already knew absolutely for sure this was the case. The response (while not anything of a full admission) was delivered in a way that affirmed my suspicions...

Yes, I hate getting stuck with Future's rejects... but if you look at it all on the bright side, they do sell them off for only $7.70 a piece - which is their 500+ pieces price and is indeed less than I pay for emitters by the entire reel. But lets face it, buying reels isn't something we all get to do everyday.

The other good thingh I can say about future is that I've had much better luck at getting uniform quality or junk (depending how you look at it) in buying colored Luxeons..

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I await the day when LEDs start to obey Moore's Law. After all, theyre chips too, right?

across the pond

Newly Enlightened
Can someone post the complete list of bin codes and the corresponding numbers please? I know some of the 1W codes and none of the 5W. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

Many thanks, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Derek.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
kakster said:
I await the day when LEDs start to obey Moore's Law. After all, theyre chips too, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Outstanding point, sir. For our purposes, could it be that the re-doubling of performance in LED lights in this infancy we are experiencing has a mean greater than the mean of Moore's 12 - 18 month chip performance fluctuation? If this is true then I'm even more comfortable with my prediction that the ModMen will break the 10,000 lux barrier before the end of the year.

- Jeff

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Who knows. A nicely overdriven X-binned "5" watter might actually break the 10K lux...