5w 2D maglite

Blue_Shift

Newly Enlightened
Well, I like doing things myself. So, I built this light. Since Elektrolumens 3toD battery holders are not yet availiable. And I did not want to use 123 batteries. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif I got a little creative. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif There are two 2.2 ohm resistors in parell in the bottom of the end cap. On the top it has a metal wire that makes contact where the tip of the D battery used to.

Here is my battery holder. My favorite part is that it has no rattle.
fc32c89f.jpg

Here is a beamshot vs a 2D maglite.
fc32c523.jpg

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice work! Is it just the picture or is the spot a little oblong? That looks like the Memory Protection Devices MPD-DU1-M-502 6xAA holder. You wouldn't happen to know where to get some would you?

Wilkey

Blue_Shift

Newly Enlightened
It looks oblong because it was taken from an angle. It is hard to get flashlights to stand up on a bed and get under them to take a straight on picture. Yes, it is 6AA. And, you can get them from elektrolumens. They come looking like this...
fc32b439.jpg

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Every time I see a beamshot like that, I'm reminded of just how crappy the Mag spot is. *sigh*

Wilkey

robk

Enlightened
How hot does it get with 1.1 ohm and alkalines? I've got a 5W coming in and haven't decided to run it off 2 C cells with a DC-DC converter or my home-made 6AA with NiMH cells. Runtime?
Thanks,
Rob

Blue_Shift

Newly Enlightened
The flashlight head gets a little warm. Not very much though. And, the LED and heatsink feel about the same temp. I think it is way cooler than it needs to be. I do not know how long it will last... I just did it a couple of days ago, and with it on it is hard to sleep /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
very nice!

give use some shots down the business end /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
I measured my 5W 2D and it got as hot as 98F at the head/barrel junction. This was the peak temperature before the batteries started to wind down. Of course, the benefit of having so much aluminum is that the body was warm more than halfway down its length, indicating a good thermal path and dissipation. Runtime was better than 100 minutes on 6AA before there was really visible dimming. The batteries were 2000 mAh Powerex.

Wilkey

Latest posts