• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Shoppe converter board for MC-E and 1x16340 IMR

maxspeeds

Flashlight Enthusiast
:eek: I've tried searching, but it seems like alot of people are either using non-shoppe converters or more than 1 li-ion cell. I'm determined to try out my new MC-E led with a shop converter in a 1x123 rechargeable (either li-ion or IMR depending on current draw) format in my aleph light:devil:.

Can someone help me in choosing which converter board I will need and how to wire the MC-E (series, parallel, 2s2p) for 1x16340 IMR cell?

Much thanks in advance! :party:

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am not aware of any boards currently that will fit in a Aleph light engine and will run on the battery you desire. You are looking at 10W of power from a single battery. I'm not sure you could draw 10W of power from a single battery.

The Blue Shark or the Shark Buck are the only two drivers the shoppe offers that can drive that much power. They are unfortunately larger in size and won't fit in a Aleph.

Wayne

maxspeeds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Wayne!

Thank you for the quick response. Does this mean that I am stuck with atleast a 2x123 setup?

I was hoping to use maybe a badboy and 2s2p wiring with a 1x16340 IMR battery. Is this possible?

Thanks again!

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am also looking to wire up an MC-E 2S2P. What driver will work?
:bump:
Hi Wayne!

Thank you for the quick response. Does this mean that I am stuck with atleast a 2x123 setup?

I was hoping to use maybe a badboy and 2s2p wiring with a 1x16340 IMR battery. Is this possible?

Thanks again!

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Wayne!

Thanks again!

Yes, you could use a badboy for this configuration.

Wayne

TexLite

Enlightened
Yes, you could use a badboy for this configuration.

Wayne

Thanks for the suggestion Wayne,this question has come up more than once lately.I thought it should work considering the requirements of the MC-E wired 2S2P would be the same as a Lux-V,its nice to know for sure.

-Michael

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
For a single li-ion cell and one badboy will limit you to ~350mA drive per die. The Badboy, Nexgen, GD or basically any 0.55" driver will not do more than ~3-4W of power. The MC-E at 750mA is ~9-10W of power.

I don't think there is room for two converter boards in the current LE configuration to use two Badboy converter boards to drive the MC-E at full power.

Wayne

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the info.
What options do I have if I want to use two Li-Ions for 7.2-8.4V? The Badboy says it only takes up to 6V.
For a single li-ion cell and one badboy will limit you to ~350mA drive per die. The Badboy, Nexgen, GD or basically any 0.55" driver will not do more than ~3-4W of power. The MC-E at 750mA is ~9-10W of power.

Wayne

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the info.
What options do I have if I want to use two Li-Ions for 7.2-8.4V? The Badboy says it only takes up to 6V.

That data in the description is for a 5W luxeon since you need to keep input voltage less than output voltage.

I believe the input voltage limit is around 16V.

Wayne

thegeek

Enlightened
That data in the description is for a 5W luxeon since you need to keep input voltage less than output voltage.

I believe the input voltage limit is around 16V.

Wayne

The link on your site for the BB lists the Vout max at a suggested 9V, is this outdated information?

The crux of it is I would like to run an MC-E in series (~13V drop) from a single .55" converter and 2 LiIons. Will the BB be able to do this provided I keep the current to a manageable level? Your statement above, that as long as Vin<Vout it can take up to 16V gives me hope, but I thought I better make sure before I cook some boards. Thanks!

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
The BB information is not limits. This information was generated a long time ago and is suggestions for a 3W or 5W configuration.

Input Absolute max is 18V and output is set by Open load voltage of ~22V or so.

Wayne

Sengoku

Enlightened
Im having the same problem trying to figure out which is the best option.

Which is best for regulation/runtime? I would like each emitter to see ~500mA.

1. MC-E wired in series with Badbay 500? powered by 8.4-12.6v
or
2. MC-E wired in 2S2P with SOB 1000 powered by 8.4-12.6v

Any help would be much appreciated, TIA

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
For MC-E in 4S using a BB 500, it looks like the board has to deliver ~6.6W of power (assuming Vf~3.3V at 500ma). The question is if the board can handle this without heat sinking. If you used a BB 400 (416ma nominal), then the board generates ~5.4W (assuming Vf~3.25V at 416ma). This is still higher than the ~3-4 watts of power that Wayne mentions earlier (presumably this figure of merit is without heat sinking).

For comparison, my SOB 1000 board seems to run very cool when driving a single Seoul P4 U2-bin, but the power level is probably comfortably within the ~3-4W range. What happens if you bump up the power by ~3W (roughly double the power), which is the case for a BB 500 driving an MC-E in 4S?

For 2S2P using an SOB 1000, I think the same power issue arises. If the SOB 1000 can run at ~6.6W power without heat sinking, then life is easy. Otherwise, you'd have to figure out some sort of heat sinking solution. Or drop down to an SOB 750 or similar current output. The SOB 750 would run at ~4.8W, assuming a Vf~3.2V at 375ma.

If you are going to install the components in something that has more space than an Aleph LE, maybe you can wire two boards in parallel? That means that you'd tie LED+ from the two boards together and similarly LED- from the two boards, and then feed the combined LED+ and LED- leads to the MC-E. You also have to connect ground for board 1 to ground for board 2, and Vin for board 1 to Vin for board 2. See this link for some excellent photos of an example of two SOBs in parallel.

So for the 2S2P case, as an example, you could use two SOB 500 boards, each running at ~3.3W, instead of one SOB 1000.

Last edited: