Northeast Ice Storm of December 12 2008

Cydonia

Enlightened
Looks like a bad one...

As of 8pm Eastern time reports are saying 1.25 million are without power.

December 12 2008:

Northeast ice storm leaves 1.25M without power - Associated Press

December 13 2008:

Crews fighting cold, ice to restore power in NE - Associated Press

"What is facing us is the apparent need to rebuild the entire infrastructure of some sections of the electrical delivery system," said Martin Murray, spokesman for Public Service Company of New Hampshire.

Any CPF members effected? Check in here when your back online.... :cool:

Last edited:

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
Our prayers and best wishes go out to them. Ice storms are terrible things.I would rather go through a blizzard than a bad ice storm, having gone through many of both. We lucked out around here, it rained all day Wens, and did not drop down enough to ice up badly until after most of it ran off.

bouncer

Enlightened
Checking in From NH were alive but it's cold and many are without power but were used to it. And thank you for your thoughts and prayers.

Last edited:

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
My town was on the fringe. Some damage but not as bad as further inland. I'm lucky to be typing this as power is out on the west end of town and also the east but middle is spared.

News just said generators are the hot item at Home Depot. Boy I guess if you own a house, a generator is a wise investment because you'll use it sometime during your lifetime.

Last edited:

Burgess

Flashaholic
Perhaps 10 - 12 years ago,

a big Ice Storm hit our area. Bad !

Our house was without power for 24 and-a-half Hours.

From 7:30am to 8:00am the next day.

Outside temps were well below freezing,

and the inside temperature wasn't much better. :shakehead

My big concern was for my elderly parents, who live with me.

Thankfully, our Hot Water Heater still operated (on city gas), :)

so i filled up a Hot Water Bottle for each of us,

and changed 'em every couple hours.

They worked GREAT ! ! !

:kiss: --- :thumbsup:

My thoughts and best wishes go out to those affected today.
_

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I don't want to hear about ice storms..... 4 days without power last December sucked lol

fieldops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cambridge came through ok ( some flood issues). It was areas to their north and west that really got creamed by the ice.

rdh226

Enlightened
36 hours and counting -- loss of power in Nashua, NH. *Wood stove cranking away
in basement. Second time in 3 years. Time to start seriously considering generator
options.

What's really annoying is that most of Nashua seems to have survived; I'm in the
middle of a black hole (well, full moon and no clouds last night, so it was actually
pretty bright...) about 20 blocks across.

Ah well, if you don't have a sense of humor, you shouldn't live here... Ha!

-RDH

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sure your wood stove is just a crankin' this Saturday night.

36 hours and counting -- loss of power in Nashua, NH. *Wood stove cranking away
in basement. Second time in 3 years. Time to start seriously considering generator
options.

What's really annoying is that most of Nashua seems to have survived; I'm in the
middle of a black hole (well, full moon and no clouds last night, so it was actually
pretty bright...) about 20 blocks across.

Ah well, if you don't have a sense of humor, you shouldn't live here... Ha!

-RDH

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Rained here like a mutha! I can't even begin to imagine if 4+" of rain had been all ice. Generator is nice to have, but I only needed it for a few hours once in the last 10 years.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hope everyone effected gets their power back soon. I have been lucky where I live to not not have a prolonged period without power. However, if I did, I may find myself unprepared as far as heating my home. It's stories like this that get me thinking I should get prepared.

I was looking at something like this:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=93043-88644-RMC-95C7&lpage=none

I'd like to get some kind of Kerosene heater to store in the garage in case of a prolonged power outage. Does the Kerosene fuel last a long time if stored?

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
I understand and have similar fealings about home power outages--they can be a lot of fun--for the short term (remember those as a kid)...

However, this will not be a good thing for 90% of the people that need power+communications to do their jobs.

Regarding storing fuel... Diesel (similar to kerosene) is supposed to last 10+ years with a biocide in a sealed container (diesel will attract moisture and will grow algae if not treated).

The bigger issue is how much fuel do you need to store... That heater will probably last 5 hours or so on a gallon of fuel--so how much fuel do you need to store... And do you have a good way of recycling/reusing the stored fuel after ten years--can't just dump on the ground...

-Bill

Last edited:

fieldops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Preparation is essential. The best way to do it is to think of it on a perpetual basis. Get the small things done throughout the year and they will add up to fast preparedness. Things like a small propane heater that can run off your normal grill propane tank. Plastic sheeting to help keep warm air in the occupied areas. There are as many ideas as you can think of.

I'm on my way to the MA state EOC for overnight communications support. Should be a long shift. Alot of people still in the dark and cold. If things slow down a bit, maybe I can rustle up some interest in better flashlights :grin2:

Mini mag incan compared to Fenix, Olight and Dereelight. Might be fun :D