what the heck would you do??!

cruisemissile

Enlightened
alright, I am presented with a dilemma on which setup to buy next
1) a Surefire 6P in Satin Grey ($47 at wholesalemarineproducts) plus a 200 lumen Malkoff drop in ($50) OR

2) A Gladius (in OD or Tan for $89 http://www.streichers.com/ProductDetail.aspx?Catalog=Flashlights&Category=BLACKHAWK&Prod=BH-752)

the SF would be timeless and classic and with malkoff give me a strong light.
but the Gladius has different modes and that sexy ceramic coating. plus, at 89bucks, much cheaper than when they first came out.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to have a Gladius. Keep in mind that the anti roll spikes on the Gladius make it difficult to find a holster which fits. Pocket carry of the Gladius can be uncomfortable.

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would get the 6P with Malkoff. If you want a low mode, then add a McC2S switch from The Sandwich Shoppe. For strobe, you can either cycle the tailcap manually or use a "wrist wobble" technique (basically wiggle the light back and forth, which achieves a strobe-like effect).

If that is still insufficient, you can get the OpticsHQ/TLS reverse multifunction tailcap and drop-in, and you will have all of the functionality of the Gladius (with a much brighter max mode). The main downside, IMO, of the TLS tailcap is that it appears to have a much higher power draw than the Gladius electronics when the light is turned off.

IMO, the 6P is sort of an "open architecture" light and you won't be locked into a proprietary design that is harder to upgrade/customize. You also have greater flexibility in using Li-ions with the 6P vs. Gladius.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Surefire! You can upgrade it's engine anytime the mood srtikes you or when new emitters come onto the scene without buying a new light.

The Gladius sexy ceramic coating is not attractive in the least when it starts coming of.

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire! You can upgrade it's engine anytime the mood srtikes you or when new emitters come onto the scene without buying a new light.

+1 gazillion

Just like the sarge said, IMHO, the 6P could realistically (but we are never realistic, are we?) be the last light you buy as the "upgradability" and lego options are endless.

Its a light for life between legos and the Surefire guarantee.