Which Single Cell (AA) LED - Tactical Lite to get?

floobydust

Newly Enlightened
A complete noob here. Nevertheless, a seasoned "gadget freak". I am in the market for a Single AA Cell LED Tactical Lite.

I am considering the following - in no particular order, other than Price vs. Features & Performance.

I must admit that I am 100% disabled do to back injury, and 'survive' on (very meager) Social Security. I do treat myself to one "GIFT" at this time of year – I save all change and get myself a present at Christmas...

I will use the lite for: . .

* Must run on single AA (cost of ownership & I have Good rechargeables.

* Reading my Medication bottles do to 50 Year-Old eyes.

* I love to read, and do not sleep well. The only place I read is on the balcony of the Personal Care Home in which I live. There are NO LIGHTS, so I must rely on a Flashlight.

• Only want to buy A Flashlight ONCE! – Quality & Reliability is Tops on this List.
  • Small is important. < 3-4"
  • ONE Handed Operation
  • Push-Button / Slide is important for one Handed Operation.
  • Ability to change Brightness'.
  • Would like to change beam focus, but NOT ESSENTIAL.
  • Only want to buy A Flashlight ONCE! – Quality is Tops on this List.
  • LED Based, so power can be turned down to save battery life & no BULB changing, etc. etc.
  • Walking in dark areas in the home at odd hours, when all lutes are out
  • To play with, as it is after all an expensive gad

My current CHOICES - IN RANK of what I THINK I like so far. .

So far, I have liked (from only what I have read – but have NOT SEEN)

1) Proton Photon Pro ( w Cree LED) – but VERY $$$

2) Several Coast Tactical Lites (Digi-Tac II) because of $

3) Fenix lots of owners. – but also $$$

4) LOVE the User Interface Gadget features of the proton 2

A Long (lifetime- ?) warranty is describable, but WITH easy access to it - is important because of my financial situation, and I can only get one gadget.

QUESTION: Can anyone explain why the Proton Photon Pro 2 Ranges in price from about $40 to about $60. In addition, it lists for $70.

Moreover, how do I know I can trust the vendor?
Who can I trust (ok to email me off-line)

Your pearls of wisdom are greatly appreciated… thank you all, and have a wonderful holiday season!

Jeff

(If you buy anything electronic, it is obsolete as soon as you leave the store)
Jeff

Toaster

Enlightened
:welcome: floobydust. A good place to start is by reading through this review. It covers all the best single AA lights on the market. All of your requirements (except the ability to change focus) can be easily met.

Personally I would recommend getting the Fenix LD10 which is the updated version of the L1D included in the review. It has multiple modes to cover your various lighting needs, a very efficient circuit to get the most out of your battery, and is a proven and reliable performer. And if you decide you want more power and increased runtime from your light in the future, you'll be happy to know you can get an inexpensive 2AA battery tube for your LD10 to convert it into an LD20.

You can order that light from 4Sevens using coupon code 'CPF8' for an additional 8% discount. 4Sevens has been a trusted dealer around here for a very long time and provides some of the best customer service available. If you check out the warranty policy on his site, you'll see he offers a no questions asked lifetime warranty on Fenix lights :thumbsup:

Edit: I would highly recommend picking up one of these diffusers to go along with your light. Makes reading by flashlight much easier on the eyes.

Last edited:

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another, similar option would be a Fenix L1T. It is similar to the above recommendation but is a two-mode (high/low) light with a forward tail clicky and you select modes by rotating the bezel instead of clicking.

Igor Porto

Enlightened
L1T is great! Bright, throws nicely, and has a TACTICAL switch, momentary on if you need. The LxD series don't have that, and since you want tactical applications, the T series is for you.

floobydust

Newly Enlightened
Re: Which Single Cell (AA) LED - Finally decided, Nitecore D10 - Of Course!

Finally decided on the NITECORE D10 - with Golden Dragon Emitter. Could not have made a better selection! I LOVE this thing!

A sincere and heartfelt thanks to all that helped with my decision. Also, a shout-out to ALL the folks @ "4-Sevens" - the guys & gals are just wonderful ! :twothumbs

As it turns out, I live way too close to the Fenix Store (6 minutes away) ..... this proximity could be detrimental to my meager DI !

lovecpf​

" If you buy anything electronic, it's obsolete when you leave the cash register"

- Floobydust

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast

Finally decided on the NITECORE D10 - with Golden Dragon Emitter. Could not have made a better selection! I LOVE this thing!

A sincere and heartfelt thanks to all that helped with my decision. Also, a shout-out to ALL the folks @ "4-Sevens" - the guys & gals are just wonderful ! :twothumbs

As it turns out, I live way too close to the Fenix Store (6 minutes away) ..... this proximity could be detrimental to my meager DI !

Great choice! :thumbsup:
And 6 minutes away from Fenix Store is a great thing but unfortunate to the wallet. :crackup:

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast

lovecpf​

floobydust - that is a great choice! So glad you're happy with it. The D10 ticks most of the boxes for me too but I'm such an addict I can't find happiness from one light alone - my loss!
I hope your health improves - and keep reading the forums!

:grouphug:

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast

Is CFS still honoring the $42.95 price for the Photon Pro? I see it is listed at $49.95 but the top of page says 10% to 75% off most products.

lovecpf​

floobydust - that is a great choice! So glad you're happy with it. The D10 ticks most of the boxes for me too but I'm such an addict I can't find happiness from one light alone - my loss!
I hope your health improves - and keep reading the forums!

:grouphug:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
If you are really into gadgets, go with the Proton Pro. The lowest low might be almost enough to read by, and the runtime will be great. The Fenix is also an excellent light, with better efficiency at equal levels, but the low is still pretty high in comparison. On high the Fenix probably wins and the beam is smoother. I think the Proton is classier looking, but less tactical. Also keep in mind the Proton comes on at high level unless you start with the red LED, while the Fenix can come on in low.

Tough to say which would be better, but both are good. Hope you make your best choice. Oh, and welcome to CPF.

Geoff

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
Happy to hear about your 7777 experience and the D10.:party:
Enjoy the nice neutral tint of the Golden Dragon. You are getting a relatively new technology/LED with the OSRAM LED (Golden Dragon).
It may not be as efficent as the Q5, but from what I've read, the tint of the GD, and the build and 'feel' of the Nitecore, should make this a most cherished posession.

Hope you have many years of happy use!